Program-Specific Info / Q's USC 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know good places to live by USC? I'm really worried about moving to LA (I'm from Northern CA)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know good places to live by USC? I'm really worried about moving to LA (I'm from Northern CA)

It would depend on your comfort level, norcal could mean Oakland or Stockton. As well as how long you want to commute. It's socal so taking 3 or 4 freeways to get anywhere is not unusual.

You most likely already know but the Allied Health campus is not part of the main campus (still not in the greatest part of town) w/o knowing you better I can recommend living in San Gabriel, Alhambra, Pasadena (parts at least), South Pasadena (entirely different city, all parts recommend). There however these are mostly suburban communities.

The house I grew up in was 20 min from this campus.

Feel free to PM with questions if you have a complex or unit in mind.

Hello! Long-time lurker, first time poster here-

I received my acceptance to USC yesterday (!!!!!)

Here are my stats in case anyone is curious:
Undergrad Majors: Theatre and English
GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: 154V 162Q 5.0AW

Observation/Volunteer: ~90 hours in an early-intervention clinic

Keeping everyone still waiting in my thoughts!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe it... I got accepted!! *cue ugly cry face* In case any of you are curious, here are my stats:
Major: Human Development
Undergrad: UCSD
Cum GPA: 3.4
Prereq GPA: 3.85
GRE: 156V 149Q 4.0AW
Observation:
45 hrs pediatric outpatient, 30 hrs adult outpatient, 90 hrs SNF
Work/Volunteer:
Teacher for after-school program, volunteered in hospitals, studied abroad in South Africa, conducted an observation study in pediatric OT clinic, worked as behavior therapist for kiddos with ASD, daycare and teacher's assistant, currently employed as a rehab aide in a SNF
Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the support throughout this (very) long process. Keep your head up, it seems like the USC fb group is only halfway full. I hope to meet you all soon!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I can't believe it... I got accepted!! *cue ugly cry face* In case any of you are curious, here are my stats:
Major: Human Development
Undergrad: UCSD
Cum GPA: 3.4
Prereq GPA: 3.85
GRE: 156V 149Q 4.0AW
Observation:
45 hrs pediatric outpatient, 30 hrs adult outpatient, 90 hrs SNF
Work/Volunteer:
Teacher for after-school program, volunteered in hospitals, studied abroad in South Africa, conducted an observation study in pediatric OT clinic, worked as behavior therapist for kiddos with ASD, daycare and teacher's assistant, currently employed as a rehab aide in a SNF
Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the support throughout this (very) long process. Keep your head up, it seems like the USC fb group is only halfway full. I hope to meet you all soon!!
congrats! did you get an email yesterday? :)

congrats! did you get an email yesterday? :)

Thank you!! Yes I got an email from Liz Carley around 2pm yesterday. I think the acceptances will continue to trickle out :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone who recieved an acceptance email last week tell me when you had to respond by? Thanks.

Can anyone who recieved an acceptance email last week tell me when you had to respond by? Thanks.

It looks as though people offered admission have 2 weeks to respond by... so the ones who heard back last Monday or Tuesday would have to respond by March 28th or 29th. I'm in the same boat as you haha... still waiting and hoping. I am an applicant applying for conditional admission due to my lower GRE score (151 V, 157 Q, 4.5 W), so I'm becoming less confident as the days go by with no e-mails from Ms. Liz Carley haha ..I am pretty sure, though, acceptances will be given out until Thursday, March 31st (when they email waitlist notifications and physically mail out rejection letters)

Reactions: 1 users

@hamburgundy is right. I received my acceptance last Wednesday and will have to respond by March 30th. Good luck to both of you. I still have hope!

@hamburgundy is right. I received my acceptance last Wednesday and will have to respond by March 30th. Good luck to both of you. I still have hope!

@nicole_meow can you tell me if you email arrived around the 2pm time that other have stated? I'm curious because you said you recieved your email on a Wednesday where most other have said their emails have arrived on Thursday.

Thanks! At least that way maybe I'll stop refreshing my email every 5 minutes (probably not though).

@nicole_meow can you tell me if you email arrived around the 2pm time that other have stated? I'm curious because you said you recieved your email on a Wednesday where most other have said their emails have arrived on Thursday.

Thanks! At least that way maybe I'll stop refreshing my email every 5 minutes (probably not though).
Yep, my email arrived at 2:06pm on March 16. I think you can expect another wave of emails when the next set of deadline dates (to either accept or decline) approaches. Based on previous posts, they may send out emails sometime after the 24th (the two week deadline for those accepted on March 10th). Don't hold me to it though, I'm just speculating! Feel free to continue refreshing your email often

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, my email arrived at 2:06pm on March 16. I think you can expect another wave of emails when the next set of deadline dates (to either accept or decline) approaches. Based on previous posts, they may send out emails sometime after the 24th (the two week deadline for those accepted on March 10th). Don't hold me to it though, I'm just speculating! Feel free to continue refreshing your email often

Thanks for the info. I suppose all I can do now is continue impatiently waitling lols

Just an update for all still watching this thread.

Emailed Ms. Lif Carley. She stated that my application has been verified and still under review. The admissions committee would be in touch with me this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @LAtoSDtoOT,

My guess is that means good news for you, since she said "this week".

She typically just says "end of March", but in your case she specifically said "this week", which is before the deadline for applicants who found out their acceptance last week have to confirm/commit. So I'm assuming its good news for you! :)

If you don't mind me asking, when did you email her? and did she say she'll be "in touch with you" or "in touch with applicants"? If she said "you" specifically, I can only imagine it being good news!:)

This is just my own opinion and my thoughts on her choice of wording though. I could be wrong, and just be looking at it with too much detail ( I'm here anxiously waiting everyday too, constantly checking my email), but praying that its great news for you and for the rest of us!

Good luck to you and to all of us still waiting!:) And congrats to those who have been accepted so far!:)

Last edited:
Hi @LAtoSDtoOT,

My guess is that means good news for you, since she said "this week".

She typically just says "end of March", but in your case she specifically said "this week", which is before the deadline for applicants who found out their acceptance last week have to confirm/commit. So I'm assuming its good news for you! :)

If you don't mind me asking, when did you email her? and did she say she'll be "in touch with you" or "in touch with applicants"? If she said "you" specifically, I can only imagine it being good news!:)

This is just my own opinion and my thoughts on her choice of wording though. I could be wrong, and just be looking at it with too much detail ( I'm here anxiously waiting everyday too, constantly checking my email), but praying that its great news for you and for the rest of us!

Good luck to you and to all of us still waiting!:) And congrats to those who have been accepted so far!:)

@deejayy

Thanks for your positive words. *fingers crossed*

She said "you" in the email.

Regarding your question: I emailed her this morning and she responded this afternoon.

Best wishes to all still patiently/impatiently waiting.

I just got accepted around 4 pm today! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

Does anyone know where they are going to live?

I am going to take the anatomy/physiology in May so for now, I am going to sublet from a friend who is graduating from the program this year. She lives in Echo Park. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all!!

I am going to take the anatomy/physiology in May so for now, I am going to sublet from a friend who is graduating from the program this year. She lives in Echo Park. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all!!

Reactions: 3 users

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats with us??

I guess this upcoming week is supposedly the last week to hear back from USC. Do you think it's just waitlists/rejections at this point ?

Good luck to everyone!
I am living in a house with other USC students and 1 first year OT in echo park (its really lovely). If there is anyone who is interested in a place to live, feel free to PM me. It would just be a summer sublet and then if you'd like it, it could be longer term. I have my fingers crossed for everyone. Good luck!!

Last edited:
i know it's early in the day but since it is the last week of march, has anyone heard anything yet? :/

I emailed Liz on Friday to turn down my spot. Hopefully that opens one up for those of you still waiting!

I got accepted a week ago around 3 pm. I submitted right before the Feb deadline.
For anyone interested, my stats are:
Major: Psychology
GRE: 159Q 158V 5.0AW
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 Prereq GPA: 4.0
109 hours hospital outpatient rehab, 60 hours pediatric clinic
summer school teacher, research aide

They gave me until April 6th to respond so I think they're still hearing back from people. Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!!

I got accepted a week ago around 3 pm. I submitted right before the Feb deadline.
For anyone interested, my stats are:
Major: Psychology
GRE: 159Q 158V 5.0AW
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 Prereq GPA: 4.0
109 hours hospital outpatient rehab, 60 hours pediatric clinic
summer school teacher, research aide

They gave me until April 6th to respond so I think they're still hearing back from people. Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!!

I have similar stats to yours if you don't mind me asking is USC your first choice or are you waiting to hear from other schools before you decide? Thanks.

I was accepted via phone around 11:30am today!! Liz Carley gave me a call. My admission email came in a couple hours later. She says calling is to speed up the notification process, so maybe those who are waiting will receive a call tomorrow! :)

Congrats @beaureve !

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Still hoping and praying for the best for all of us!:)

Congrats @beaureve !

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Still hoping and praying for the best for all of us!:)

Sure!

Major: Psychology @ UC Riverside
GRE: 152Q 157V 4.0AW
Undergrad GPA: 3.25 Prereq GPA: 3.85

Experience:
Worked as a behavioral therapist for kiddos with ASD for 4 years and worked alongside OTs. I worked collaboratively with many OTs on several case loads. To be honest, I did not clock in any significant amount of volunteer hours, but I focused on work experiences on my personal statement.

I personally feel like my stats aren't the best of the best, so I'm sure my letter of recommendations were quite strong (two from my supervisors and one from a parent whose child I've worked with).

My application was submitted and verified around the end of January.
I am giving all of you who are still waiting so much positive mojo!! :biglove:
Waiting was extremely hard, so I understand the pain. I truly hope you all get the answer you want soon!

Last edited:
I just received an email from Liz Carley saying I was waitlisted for the program. Not the news that I was hoping for, but huge congrats to everyone that was accepted! USC is such a phenomenal school :)

I was wait listed as well! I'm going to email Liz and ask about how the wait list ranking factors into the process. It seems like at this point only acceptances and wait list decisions have gone out.

I was wait listed as well! I'm going to email Liz and ask about how the wait list ranking factors into the process. It seems like at this point only acceptances and wait list decisions have gone out.
Did you receive the waitlist email this morning like the others? Thanks.

I just received an email from Liz Carley saying I was waitlisted for the program. Not the news that I was hoping for, but huge congrats to everyone that was accepted! USC is such a phenomenal school :)

Don't you mind listing your stats?

Sure thing.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Prereq GPA: 3.8
GRE: Q151, V162, W4.5
Hours: 26 at a hippotherapy OT clinic + 15 at a pediatric OT clinic at time of application. Still have 40 hours in progress. I think this is one of the weakest parts of my app :(
I had 3 letters of rec: 2 from former bosses and 1 from an OT. Hoping to have stronger recs if I end up having to reapply next year. I got rejected from the other schools I applied to.

Also got the waitlisted notification email this morning. If anyone asks how the waitlist works, please share.

Thanks all! Good luck!

did anyone following this thread not receive any sort of email/call from USC yet? :O

did anyone following this thread not receive any sort of email/call from USC yet? :O

Got my rejection email yesterday at 1pm. Seems like waitlist emails were sent out yesterday morning from previous posts.

I received a rejection email yesterday at 1:10. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those on the waiting list! Fortunately I was accepted to a couple other programs so I had already made up my mind before the email. So excited to FINALLY be starting my career!

For those who are curious, I sat with Liz at the reception today and it seems like all the acceptances have been sent out (127 as of today), though people may decline their spot and those on the waitlist can be admitted at anytime. Really, last year someone was admitted off the waitlist the day before class started! So if you're on the waitlist and USC is your #1, I suggest you hang tight! :)

Congrats to everyone who was admitted to any OT program. It really is a huge accomplishment. Good luck everybody!