USC away elective - need housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alyssa Johnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm doing an away rotation at USC in Ophthalmology and I really wanted to find housing in a safe location that is also within walking distance of USC's Medical Campus. Is this possible?? And if so, where should I be looking? I'm not having too much luck with Craigslist. I'm originally from Chicago and I was hoping to not need my car there so I could avoid a really really long car trip. Can anyone help me with some advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I should also clarify that I mean USC - University of Southern California. I will be doing my away rotation at Doheny Eye Institute. Thanks!

The answer is no, you will not find what I'm thinking you will consider safe housing within walking distance of the campus. If you won't have a car you will need to take public transportation and live a few miles away from campus. The campus is safe, but the area around it is not the nicest. I would recommend South Pasadena, Monterrey Hills, Pasadena, Glendale, Los Feliz, some areas of Highland Park.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could contact the school to see if there's going to be any room in the on-campus dorm. That's probably the only good option within walking distance.

Alyssa...how I have missed you so...your Reemas has been waiting for you.. Why you want to go to University of South Carolina? so far from Reemas... Please allow me to assist in your living situation. I have a third cousin Nahtnam who lives direct off of USC campus!! He has no gangsters around his house because the pungent chicken tikka masala odor drives them away. Sometimes gangsters tell him "hey Osama, clean up your ****, this place smells like crap. We gon kill you" to which he replies "no, i moved to this country to fulfill dream of living outside Doheny eye institute". They walk away confused...Perhaps I will send him your contact info?! I have also just decided to do away rotation with you. Optometry is fascinating to me and tho my step 1 of 147 is a little below average, my step 2 of 175 should save the day. perhaps we could be room partners? I have sad story that explains why I want to do Eye as career...I was downtown Chicago clubbing and spotted some hot Indian female named Gunjun who shared my love for ripe mangos. i made move and asked if she wanted to come to my place for some indian sweets. Sadly, she had muslim boyfriend Samir Al-Gopal. This man followed me to the bathroom and gave me blowout fracture of right orbit. He proceeded to give me UTI of left orbit by urinating in my left eye. I was first documented case of this occurrence so gunner med student wrote case report...my left eye tears burned like street of New Delhi in mid-summer. I was taken to plastic surgeon who laughed when he saw my face and said that his 8 year residency was not enough to fix my ugly appearance (my swelling had completely resolved at this point). Alyssa, please stop being shy with me and let me drive you to USC. I will let you keep my Toyota Tercel from 1982. I want to make you Alyssa Lapog and share my possesions and STDs with you. We will treat them together with broad-spectrum agents until we run out of money, our CD4 counts drop below 200 and we develop PCP pneumonia with concurrent neurosyphilis. Do you share my dream??!!??

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing an away rotation at USC in Ophthalmology and I really wanted to find housing in a safe location that is also within walking distance of USC's Medical Campus. Is this possible??
Hehehehehe......

okay, I'm done now...

No.

The areas around LAC+USC are not at all safe. To make a constructive suggestion, you might check housing resources for UCLA - the Westside is very safe (and very expensive). There are a couple of private "residential hotels" that rent by the week and by the month and cater to medical students and residents. The private folks are not going to care if you're at UCLA or USC. You might also find a medical student apartment to share or perhaps even to trade while they're away. You could see if someone could point you to the same resource for USC med students - I assume it exists, but I've seen the housing website for UCLA med school and it's easy to use and quite complete.

You're going to encounter downtown LA traffic commuting from the Westside to LAC+USC in Boyle Heights, but most of the traffic on the 10, the 101, and the 5 will be moving in the direction opposite your travel. It would probably be less hassle, in fact, than trying to come in with traffic from the less-expensive cities to the north and to the east of LAC+USC. You might even be able to use the light rail on the red or the gold lines - I dunno, never tried that. You will enjoy being in LA much more if you have access to an automobile.

:laugh:
Alyssa...how I have missed you so...your Reemas has been waiting for you.. Why you want to go to University of South Carolina? so far from Reemas... Please allow me to assist in your living situation. I have a third cousin Nahtnam who lives direct off of USC campus!! He has no gangsters around his house because the pungent chicken tikka masala odor drives them away. Sometimes gangsters tell him "hey Osama, clean up your ****, this place smells like crap. We gon kill you" to which he replies "no, i moved to this country to fulfill dream of living outside Doheny eye institute". They walk away confused...Perhaps I will send him your contact info?! I have also just decided to do away rotation with you. Optometry is fascinating to me and tho my step 1 of 147 is a little below average, my step 2 of 175 should save the day. perhaps we could be room partners? I have sad story that explains why I want to do Eye as career...I was downtown Chicago clubbing and spotted some hot Indian female named Gunjun who shared my love for ripe mangos. i made move and asked if she wanted to come to my place for some indian sweets. Sadly, she had muslim boyfriend Samir Al-Gopal. This man followed me to the bathroom and gave me blowout fracture of right orbit. He proceeded to give me UTI of left orbit by urinating in my left eye. I was first documented case of this occurrence so gunner med student wrote case report...my left eye tears burned like street of New Delhi in mid-summer. I was taken to plastic surgeon who laughed when he saw my face and said that his 8 year residency was not enough to fix my ugly appearance (my swelling had completely resolved at this point). Alyssa, please stop being shy with me and let me drive you to USC. I will let you keep my Toyota Tercel from 1982. I want to make you Alyssa Lapog and share my possesions and STDs with you. We will treat them together with broad-spectrum agents until we run out of money, our CD4 counts drop below 200 and we develop PCP pneumonia with concurrent neurosyphilis. Do you share my dream??!!??

lmaooooo I can't bruh.

I can't :laugh: :roflcopter: