USC LOR requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So one of my letters from science professors is from the research lab professor (PI).
I called in at USC and have spoken with two different people.
One person told me that it is REQUIRED to have two letters from lecture-based professors, whereas another person told me that it is only highly recommended.

I don't want to waste money applying there if I'm not even going to be considered for an interview.

Does anyone know about their letter requirements?

I have 1 from dentist, 1 from research lab prof, 1 from orgo prof, 1 from graduate post-bacc program advisor.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone on this forum would know better than people who actually work in the admissions office at USC...

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly recommended is equivalent to nessecary in many cases.

If I were you, I would just stick to 2 lecture-based professors. Even if it's not strictly required but highly recommended, why wouldn't you just do that?

If I were you, I would just stick to 2 lecture-based professors. Even if it's not strictly required but highly recommended, why wouldn't you just do that?
I did not have an option. I graduated undergrad 3 years ago and currently in M.S. program, but professors here all rotate around every 1-2 lectures and gone for the semester. it's really hard to build a relationship with them. I mean I could've gotten one if I really had to, but one of the professors told me that all he can include in the letter is that I just had an A in the course, which is not strong. I wanted strong letters.