USC Post Bac Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teach4us2MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So I have an interview with USC in two weeks and I was wondering who else is already in the program or applied for Summer/Fall? What are your thoughts on the program? I keep searching around, but haven't seen much activity from people currently at USC. At any rate, I'm excited about finally starting this journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just registered with sdn so I could reply. I interviewed back in January and was accepted to the USC post bacc program. I'm pretty stoked, and like you said, not a whole lot of talk about the program. Though what I have heard is it's tough; guess that's to be taken with a grain of sand.
If you have questions I'd be happy to answer.

Hey JJRobin, thanks for the reply and congratulations! So I how was your interview? What kind of questions did they ask you? Are you starting in the summer or fall? I know it's discouraged but I really want to do the program in a year (if accepted). I'm pretty excited about the program. I have also heard it's tough but that is to be expected and I'm pretty sure it's very doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed for USCs post bac program and got accepted as well and they don't really ask you any questions at all. They just explain everything that you may possibly need to know about the program and give you time to ask them questions. It is very very very casual and seemed more like an information session than an interview. If you got the interview you are pretty much in the program imo. I heard the program is tough but its expected since we typically don't come from a science background but the USC program seems like it gives you every chance to succeed and do well. I was actually shocked at how much support they offer in terms of supplemental instruction,teacher and TA office hours, mentors, and free chem supplemental courses for the post-baccers. USC is a great institution and it seems like the perfect program. Im strongly considering it but Im still waiting to hear back from other schools as well. they also strongly prefer you do it in 2 years instead of 1 because they want you to have ample time to study and do well in all of your classes as well as be involved in extracurricular activities and volunteer work. Although it may be one of the more expensive programs at USC it seems like staying there for an extra year may make the course load each semester more manageable for people with non-science backgrounds. Ideally i would like to complete the post-bacc program asap but at the same time i want to do well and in the end if taking an extra year to do well and prepare myself more for the entrance exam may be worth it.

comparison of USCs 2yr program and the typical 1 yr programs

uscs 2 yr route last semester: orgo chem 2 + lab and kaplan entrance exam prep class that USC helps pay for (gives plenty of time to do well in your course and exam prep)

vs.

A typical 1yr program that allows gen chem 1&2 in the summer: orgo chem 2 + lab , bio 2+ lab, physics 2+ lab + studying for the entrance exam

--i think USC does the 2 year program for a reason and it seems like it works because they have a lot of success with getting students into med and dent schools and if you want to stay in california it never hurts to say you did your post-bacc at USC, #23 in the nation :D

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-southern-california-1328

Hey JJRobin, thanks for the reply and congratulations! So I how was your interview? What kind of questions did they ask you? Are you starting in the summer or fall? I know it's discouraged but I really want to do the program in a year (if accepted). I'm pretty excited about the program. I have also heard it's tough but that is to be expected and I'm pretty sure it's very doable.
Hey, thank you very much! I'm pretty stoked to start.

I am starting second summer session in late June. I'm doing a one year program pretty much; summer 2, fall and spring. I know they don't advise it, but if you have taken any science casses at all it makes your case more convincing. If you want to tell me what you've taken I can probably tell you what they will say.

The interview was very fun. Extremely structured and well organized. They tell you what is expected and you can tell them that A) its what you want to do and give examples why you'd be a good fit or B) tell them thank you but no thanks. There is a good amount of time devoted to answering your questions and getting you comfortable with their program. Giving you an interview means they could see you as a potential student, just let them see it in you.

I've noticed a lot of programs are 2 years, but the director and advisor will work with you. Are you living in LA now? What did you do before you wanted to go to med school?

I am interested in the USC Post-Bacc... Do you guys mind sharing your stats? Mainly, uGPA and SAT scores.

I am interested in the USC Post-Bacc... Do you guys mind sharing your stats? Mainly, uGPA and SAT scores.

Just noticed USC takes LSAT score! My SAT score was bad because I did 0 prep, but I have a really high LSAT score, so I think I'd be fine.

Just noticed USC takes LSAT score! My SAT score was bad because I did 0 prep, but I have a really high LSAT score, so I think I'd be fine.
They don't look at sat really. I took the last too. I have roughly a 3.7 science gpa and 3.3 cumulative.

I'll be starting the program this fall. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'd love to get to know other USC postbacc students as well. :)

Accepted! Can't wait to meet you guys in the fall!

Hey, thank you very much! I'm pretty stoked to start.

I am starting second summer session in late June. I'm doing a one year program pretty much; summer 2, fall and spring. I know they don't advise it, but if you have taken any science casses at all it makes your case more convincing. If you want to tell me what you've taken I can probably tell you what they will say.

The interview was very fun. Extremely structured and well organized. They tell you what is expected and you can tell them that A) its what you want to do and give examples why you'd be a good fit or B) tell them thank you but no thanks. There is a good amount of time devoted to answering your questions and getting you comfortable with their program. Giving you an interview means they could see you as a potential student, just let them see it in you.

I've noticed a lot of programs are 2 years, but the director and advisor will work with you. Are you living in LA now? What did you do before you wanted to go to med school?
Hi jjrobin! Thanks for the information about the interview! I just scheduled my interview with them. I've already taken one semester of Bio and two semesters of GChem. Do you think they'd let me finish the program within a year? Oh, and I didn't even realize there were two different sessions you could start in for the summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi jjrobin! Thanks for the information about the interview! I just scheduled my interview with them. I've already taken one semester of Bio and two semesters of GChem. Do you think they'd let me finish the program within a year? Oh, and I didn't even realize there were two different sessions you could start in for the summer!

I'm sure Dr. Singer will let you finish in a year. With both semesters of gen chem done and a semester of Bio, you could do Bio II during summer session 2 and still take just two classes (physics and organic chem I and II) over the next year with plenty of time to volunteer and study for the MCAT. Dr. Singer really takes time to look at your transcripts and your resume, I am sure he will present this as an option to you, especially if you have taken these classes recently and don't need a refresher.

I'm sure Dr. Singer will let you finish in a year. With both semesters of gen chem done and a semester of Bio, you could do Bio II during summer session 2 and still take just two classes (physics and organic chem I and II) over the next year with plenty of time to volunteer and study for the MCAT. Dr. Singer really takes time to look at your transcripts and your resume, I am sure he will present this as an option to you, especially if you have taken these classes recently and don't need a refresher.
Thanks, that's good to hear! Yeah, I've taken all of those classes within the last year, so they're really recent.
And congratulations on your acceptance!!! How long after the interview was it that you got your acceptance?

Yeah you sound like a perfect 1yr candidate! There is a summer session 1 and 2, I can't wait.

Good luck to all you guys! And you'll know at the end if they accept you.

Is there any fb group for the USC postbac program starting in the fall of 2012?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to USC's post bac premed program and wanted to get an opinion from the rest of you about my chances of getting in. I will have completed my bachelor's of science in mathematics by the end of the spring semester and want to start the program right away. I have a 3.56 cumulative gpa. I should have a 3.6+ by the end of my last semester. I only took a Bio (with lab) and 2 semesters with gen. chem (no lab) in regard to sciences (in which I received B's :/); the rest were math classes (almost all A's/A-'s) and other required, non-science classes. I work about 40 hours a week so I don't have much time to participate in clubs while juggling classes and doing research. Not having many volunteer/club experiences is causing me to worry a bit.

Do you guys think I have a chance at getting into USC's program? Please let me know! Thank you for your input.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to USC's post bac premed program and wanted to get an opinion from the rest of you about my chances of getting in. I will have completed my bachelor's of science in mathematics by the end of the spring semester and want to start the program right away. I have a 3.56 cumulative gpa. I should have a 3.6+ by the end of my last semester. I only took a Bio (with lab) and 2 semesters with gen. chem (no lab) in regard to sciences (in which I received B's :/); the rest were math classes (almost all A's/A-'s) and other required, non-science classes. I work about 40 hours a week so I don't have much time to participate in clubs while juggling classes and doing research. Not having many volunteer/club experiences is causing me to worry a bit.

Do you guys think I have a chance at getting into USC's program? Please let me know! Thank you for your input.

I applied for the Spring 2013 entering postbac class and was accepted. My undergrad GPA was not nearly as good as yours but I did show a lot of interest in the program by continually staying in touch with the PPP office, letting them know I wanted this badly and had a plan, taking some initial prep science courses and doing well in them, and writing a killer personal statement. I think if you are able to demonstrate interest and show them you have 1. a plan, and 2. what it takes, then it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Also, just in case you didn't know already... you are unable to do this program while working - especially 40 hours a week. I will be leaving a potentially lucrative career to pursue this - this is a big deal, not something you can just do in your spare time. I initially thought I may be able to juggle this with other commitments, but I was wrong. To become a dr, you have to want it and be willing to give everything up.

Best of luck!

Just heard back and I now have an interview in two weeks. If I'm accepted, I will most likely be starting at USC this summer.

It sounds like a tough but excellent program!

Anyone enrolled for this coming summer (2013)?

Last edited:
So now that you guys have finished the program, what are your impressions? I'm excited to be starting there in January, and have only one concern thus far -- I know they only want you to take two classes each semester, and I wonder how that kind of load will be looked at by adcoms. My impression is that the typical pre-med will take several science classes each term. I'd really like to know how you've fared in the applications process.

So now that you guys have finished the program, what are your impressions? I'm excited to be starting there in January, and have only one concern thus far -- I know they only want you to take two classes each semester, and I wonder how that kind of load will be looked at by adcoms. My impression is that the typical pre-med will take several science classes each term. I'd really like to know how you've fared in the applications process.

Hi I know this is an old
Post but I majored in health sciences and have applied to the USC ppp. I want to be a dentist. And want to get into their dental school. Are you still doing the program? If finished, was it worth the money? Academically was it good?