USC Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trekkie963

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know about the process of awarding merit-based scholarships at USC? Has anyone received one? Have they all been awarded yet?

Just curious, because I'd really like to attend USC but the hefty pricetag makes it a difficult proposition.

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of them have already been awarded. Unless people decide they don't want them, they might not be giving much more for a while.

Bummer. I hope for my sake people decide they don't want them. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i withdrew my acceptance and scholarship offer from USC last month - hope that frees up some $$ for someone =).

Do you mind sharing how/when you received the scholarship offer, the amount and your numbers? (any portion of that infomation you feel like sharing would be appreciated) Thanks!

Originally posted by Trekkie963
Do you mind sharing how/when you received the scholarship offer, the amount and your numbers? (any portion of that infomation you feel like sharing would be appreciated) Thanks!

i was notified via a phone call. the scholarship only covers tuition ($20,000 per year x 4 yrs).

good luck!

hmmm. Were you interviewed by a 6 foot 2 while male??

Originally posted by medhopeful08
i withdrew my acceptance and scholarship offer from USC last month - hope that frees up some $$ for someone =).

wow. congrats! so where are you going instead, if you dont mind sharing?

You gave up a USC scholarship?!! That would have been my dream! Going to USC and not having to pay much for it. Did you have to apply to it? or just given b/c you're some outstanding premed?

I've been offered a scholarship also, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools before I make a final decision. I'm sure others are in a similar situation, so some scholarship dollars are bound to be offered in the coming months.

On a side note- Anyone know how many scholarships USC offers, and what amounts? I guess I'm trying to gauge how significant my scholarship is... :)

Originally posted by Smile'n'Wink MD
You gave up a USC scholarship?!! That would have been my dream! Going to USC and not having to pay much for it. Did you have to apply to it? or just given b/c you're some outstanding premed?

buyp

Originally posted by jay16942
I've been offered a scholarship also, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools before I make a final decision. I'm sure others are in a similar situation, so some scholarship dollars are bound to be offered in the coming months.

On a side note- Anyone know how many scholarships USC offers, and what amounts? I guess I'm trying to gauge how significant my scholarship is... :)

What schools would you consider over USC with the scholarship?

Personally, I'd say scholarship money from any school whatsoever is pretty significant. Even if you decide not to go to USC, you should feel proud that you were a strong enough applicant to receive a scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Trekkie963
What schools would you consider over USC with the scholarship?

Personally, I'd say scholarship money from any school whatsoever is pretty significant. Even if you decide not to go to USC, you should feel proud that you were a strong enough applicant to receive a scholarship.

Waiting to hear back from the Wash U scholarship application and UCLA. Yea, I'm definitely not disappointed with the amount or anything, just curious as to what other people have been offered.

congrats on the usc scholarship!

what kind of scholarships are u waiting for at the other schools?

docmemi why do u post so much on the USC thread with the sig that you got into ucla, in some awkward way do you want to get over your inferiority complex by saying you got into ucla?

what??? i am a usc alumni and have been at lac/usc and keck doing research, volunteering (>3000 hours) and working in the community for 5 years!! im still at county and the med school everyday even though i already got into another med school and not there. i have a very strong connection with the school, faculty and administration! ill very likely come back there over and over. i enjoy helping and talking to the students that will be there next year. and u know, once i hear post-interview from usc, i may even choose it over ucla. i literally grew up in county since i was there from a very young age (been there since before it was even called keck in 1999).

so step back and chill out. next time dont attack me when u dont even know anything about me! im just trying to help out (unlike you who has only 14 posts and have been here for quite some time now). why dont u scroll back and see what kinds of things i posted? in what way am i trying to boast. all i was doing was helping the new class out cause i want to give back to sdn and usc...

nice to be appreciated. +pissed+ why is it that everytime i try to help i get in trouble for doing it? i should stop caring about people.

You know, there are some pre-meds whose life is just to get good grades and become a perfect doctor. They study their a$$ off and only care about themselves. They also tend to lose their girlfriends because they study to much and their life would be ruined if the didn't get into a Yale, JH, or school like that. They tend to choose schools based on name and reputation, net where they would fit in. These people tend not to be happy in life. Don't worry about it docmemi. You are definately not one of these people.

yeah docmemi you go ahead and post wherever you want to.....it's a free country....and anyway you're still waiting to hear back from usc, so that gives you even more right to post here....:)

My post was actually more dealing with the a_student than doc, but oh well.

this is the quote that led me to believe how doc views USC

Originally posted by docmemi
...well the county has rat problems on the first 8 or so floors.

so i doubt he thinks very highly of it, if I am wrong I apologize for judging too quickly

well, whether doc is frustrated with usc or not, he can post wherever he wants to....and if he's got info to share with others, it's even better if he posts it.....whatever his personal feelings about the school, as long as he's not making this thread suck, then it's cool if he posts........i think this applies to all threads out there.......

but anyway a_student, you'll benefit from info he's put up in the keck thread about parking and stuff too since you're in to usc....congratulations btw :)

and now, back to what this thread was originally for.....scholarships! (even though some of us are just checking the thread out in case we get in......)

Originally posted by camstah
but anyway a_student, you'll benefit from info he's put up in the keck thread about parking and stuff too since you're in to usc....congratulations btw :)

Where did you get this info from?? I read all 13 posts and didn't see it anywhere.

how does stating the fact that county has rat problems reveal anything about how docmemi views county subjectively?

Originally posted by Jalby
Where did you get this info from?? I read all 13 posts and didn't see it anywhere.

oh....you're right...i guess i just assumed since he was posting in this thread.....anyway, what i said still goes.....whether a_student is in or not, other people may benefit from what docmemi has to say......

well a_student, you have to look at the rat comment in context. someone was mentioning about the cadav scandals and all. and as a joke the ONLY thing i could find wrong with usc was the rat problem in the county hosp...in fact it shows how much i like the place that that is the only thing i find wrong with it and i mostly did it as a joke. its true though and i also put it cause i was wondering if jalby had heard of/seen them like i have. ive tried over and over telling the admin and morrisons about them; they say they know and are trying to get rid of them. i didnt say anything for like 3 years since ive been seeing them cause i didnt want them to get in trouble or make them look bad. in fact, sdn was the first time i ever talked to someone about them.

truce...

I've yet to see a rat in County, but I wouldn't be to surprised. I'll actually see the head of County-USC tomorrow and I'll mention it to him. I actually find it a little funny.

yea everyone is too busy to look down and notice it. jalbs, heres a hint: running across the floors (they camoflauge, sp?) of the DDR...that is bad.

my apologies docmemi for judging you too quickly, good luck on USC

Originally posted by jay16942
I've been offered a scholarship also, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools before I make a final decision.

Jay,

How were you notified about your scholarship? The financial aid office told me that they send out merit scholarship notifications with financial aid awards, but that doesn't agree with what another poster here stated.