USC Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh god, i can't function until i figure out my status!

what are you guys doing to pass the time?

talking about it/thinking about it 24/7...I have work tomorrow at the CVS I work at too...and Monday's are the worst...if I dont get good news, its going to be the worst Monday ever.....:(

Members don't see this ad.

talking about it/thinking about it 24/7...I have work tomorrow at the CVS I work at too...and Monday's are the worst...if I dont get good news, its going to be the worst Monday ever.....:(

I feel ya, i have work at the pharmacy tomorrow too :(

Yea, don't worry until Tuesday...many post offices work differently, and your local post office may be a bit further/close earlier. Either way, a 3.9 should guarantee you at least a high wait list position, if not admission. They'd be silly not to accept you...
Thanks. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
omg. i don't have any work experience at any pharmacy. you all do. shiet.

Wow that's sad they only offered admission to 15 applicants!!!!!! Here comes AC....

Members don't see this ad :)
15 people! Its really ridicules... I think they maybe rejecting too...every thing changed ..

Look on the bright side. At least you got interviewed. And AC is better than rejection. Although I don't want to give you any false hopes. :)

I have yet to be interviewed. :(

Good luck though! I'm pretty sure they chose the top 15 so they can grab them before other schools. For the rest, they probably want to weigh out their options with the other interviewees in the next round of interviews.

Sigh... didn't get the emaill yet, prob gonna get it late according to last year
I just called them. She said they are sending the emails today and haven't rejected anyone!

15 people! Its really ridicules... I think they maybe rejecting too...every thing changed ..

last year some people who interviewed early got AC but a couple of days later they got the accepted letter!! Weird but I hope this will happen to us ACs....

just got the AC email.

im pretty certain that they are just waiting for the next batch to really take in more people. it is likely that they want to snag some UCSF people before the rest of us, but on the other hand, i still don't think it's really fair for the rest of us.

"Of the 99 applicants interviewed, 15 have been offered admission for classes beginning Fall 2012. There have been 84 applicants placed in an “active consideration” status.
Each applicant in this status most definitely meets or surpasses very high standards in one or more of the admission criteria."

That pretty much includes everyone, doesn't seem fair for anyone whos on the bottom of the AC list to be told that when only 15 were accepted. But I dont know if they'll release ranks. They say they arent ranked, but they probably are in some fashion

yep. AC email here ^^ think about it though: about 1/3 of the interviewees are offered admission every year, which means about 33 ppl will be accepted... so far 15... 15-30 more?

From what I've heard through the grapevine, all candidates are ranked using a numerical system with each category (GPA, LoRs, interview, etc.) weighted differently. My best guess about how the system works is that the AC list is ranked, and candidates who interview in Round 2 will be incorporated into the list based on their stats. The admissions committee will then take the top x number (15? 20?) to fill their quota for the second interview round and so on and so forth until all interviews are done.

If someone on the AC list from Round 1 is in the top x of the AC+Round 2 combined ranking, then they will get accepted after Round 2 interviews. It is possible that a Round 1 AC will not hear a definite "yes" or "no" until the very end of the application cycle in March. You could get accepted anytime between now and then.

From what I've heard through the grapevine, all candidates are ranked using a numerical system with each category (GPA, LoRs, interview, etc.) weighted differently. My best guess about how the system works is that the AC list is ranked, and candidates who interview in Round 2 will be incorporated into the list based on their stats. The admissions committee will then take the top x number (15? 20?) to fill their quota for the second interview round and so on and so forth until all interviews are done.

If someone on the AC list from Round 1 is in the top x of the AC+Round 2 combined ranking, then they will get accepted after Round 2 interviews. It is possible that a Round 1 AC will not hear a definite "yes" or "no" until the very end of the application cycle in March. You could get accepted anytime between now and then.

Yeah, according to last year's thread, a lot of people were pulled off AC at various times, including within the week, but they should still really tell us where we place though... 84 people is a lot of people. Less than last year's 100+ though

Awww that's a bummer :(. I hope you guys will get pulled off of the list by second interview phase.

Don't forget the TAP students who are guarenteed admissions!

Yeah, according to last year's thread, a lot of people were pulled off AC at various times, including within the week, but they should still really tell us where we place though... 84 people is a lot of people. Less than last year's 100+ though
really ?I hope this is the case because its really unfair.... then whats the point of applying early if the wanne wait to see the second round.....

really ?I hope this is the case because its really unfair.... then whats the point of applying early if the wanne wait to see the second round.....
applying early lets your application come up every time the other interviews happen so you still have a marginal chance.

applying early lets your application come up every time the other interviews happen so you still have a marginal chance.
you guys are right I have just checked the last year tread, and some people got the package a week after that they got the AC email...I hope this the case for us too ,bc 15 is just a joke !:xf:

you guys are right I have just checked the last year tread, and some people got the package a week after that they got the AC email...I hope this the case for us too ,bc 15 is just a joke !:xf:

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! Hopefully we'll see you all next August =).

For those who got on AC, don't freak out; it's so early in the cycle there's still (a lot of) hope. Much better to be put on AC now then to interview in March or whatever and then get put on! It might (or might not, hopefully) be a long wait, but it'll feel that much sweeter if/when you do get that big yellow packet in the mail! Trust me, I know, haha.

did anyone talk to the admission committee? did anyone ask why only 15% got accepted this year versus the 30% last year? how many people from the TAP program are getting in then?

ok, well, how many interview sessions are there and how many people get accepted outside of the TAP program?

ok, well, how many interview sessions are there and how many people get accepted outside of the TAP program?

Fall 2011 (Class 2015) Profile

Completed Applications: 1,179

Admitted: 265 (22%)

Seated: 190 seated (including 33 students from the Trojan Admission Pre-pharmacy Program)

Average age when starting Program: 24.9

Average GPA: 3.61

The only thing that really matters for us is whether or not the TAP students take up other interview spots. If they do, then that's good for us.

yeah, and if this data is similar for 2012, then they would have to accept ~58 people per session (whether it be AC people or new interviewees)

Fall 2011 (Class 2015) Profile

Completed Applications: 1,179

Admitted: 265 (22%)

Seated: 190 seated (including 33 students from the Trojan Admission Pre-pharmacy Program)

Average age when starting Program: 24.9

Average GPA: 3.61

The only thing that really matters for us is whether or not the TAP students take up other interview spots. If they do, then that's good for us.
how come ? if the TAP students are more this year it will decrease our chances....

If the TAP students go through the same interview process as non-TAP applicants, our guesstimate about the number of people that will be accepted from future interview rounds is fairly accurate because it's based on the number of remaining admission offers divided by the number of remaining interview rounds. If TAP students are admitted through an entirely separate process, then our guesstimate is too high because it means fewer spots are available for each interview round.

I don't know details about the TAP program, but let's hope that TAP students are held to equally high standards as the rest of us and have to go through the same interview. Can someone familiar with the TAP program comment on its admissions process?

I know about TAP. My friend got accepted to USC's Pharmacy school through TAP. TAP is guaranteed admission as long as you are in the program during your undergraduate years and you meet the minimum GPA requirement (which is, what, 3.2? something like that?)

They have a different interview, it is a group interview for all TAP students and the interview is a formality. As in, as long as you show up, you're in, because the TAP program guarantees admission. My friend said the faculty interviewer was bored at the TAP group interview and just talked to the students, didn't really ask them questions....because there really is no need.

USC is trying to up their TAP numbers because they want students who have already given 200K + to USC and are willing to give another 200K+ through pharmacy school. It makes sense.

I think last year, 30 TAPs were accepted? I am sure they are trying to get more for this year.

Good luck guys!

has anyone on the active consideration list heard back from USC yet?

It's likely that you will hear from USC after the second round interview b/c they have to compare you with those that are going to be interviewed for the second round. Good luck to you Catalyst.

should we expect to hear or we have to wait till second interview?
By the way did any one call admission to ask why 15?

should we expect to hear or we have to wait till second interview?
By the way did any one call admission to ask why 15?

I think you have to wait a month after the second interview to see if they remove you from the AC list or not. As for the 15 people, I don't know why they chose so few, but you shouldn't call and ask them...it might annoy them.

I think you have to wait a month after the second interview to see if they remove you from the AC list or not. As for the 15 people, I don't know why they chose so few, but you shouldn't call and ask them...it might annoy them.

PharmacyWarrior, do you mind sharing your stats and how you did on the interview?

PharmacyWarrior, do you mind sharing your stats and how you did on the interview?

I think my GPA is pretty average like you guys...just around high 3.5x GPA in both categories along with volunteering + extracurricular activities. As for the interview, it was a personal interview for me because my interviewers asked a lot about my background, my family, and my academic life. Additionally, I sent my thank you letters immediately after the interview to let them know that I am really interested in attending USC and that I am familiar with their program...maybe those letters had helped me to get accepted. I'm really fortunate to be one of the 15 people, but I'm curious why they accepted only a few amount while placing everyone on AC list. I wish you luck and never give up hope. Focus on your other interviews and pray that USC will get back to you with good news.

I think my GPA is pretty average like you guys...just around high 3.5x GPA in both categories along with volunteering + extracurricular activities. As for the interview, it was a personal interview for me because my interviewers asked a lot about my background, my family, and my academic life. Additionally, I sent my thank you letters immediately after the interview to let them know that I am really interested in attending USC and that I am familiar with their program...maybe those letters had helped me to get accepted. I'm really fortunate to be one of the 15 people, but I'm curious why they accepted only a few amount while placing everyone on AC list. I wish you luck and never give up hope. Focus on your other interviews and pray that USC will get back to you with good news.

do you have a pharmacy job or anything? what leadership position did/do you have? I have similar stats like yours and also wrote a thank you letter, yet i'm placed on the AC list. :( my interview wasn't as personal though. it was very intimidating. hopefully we'll hear good news soon!

do you have a pharmacy job or anything? What leadership position did/do you have? I have similar stats like yours and also wrote a thank you letter, yet i'm placed on the ac list. :( my interview wasn't as personal though. It was very intimidating. Hopefully we'll hear good news soon!

gl

Last edited:
did anyone from the AC list hear back yet or knows someone who did?