USC vs. NYU Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holla22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to NYU and USC post bacc programs and would love information from the post bacc or pre med students there on the classes, resources, professors, advisors etc. Both programs offer committee review letters and have a similar tuition. USC provides a stipend for an MCAT preparation course, and NYU has linkage with a few med schools. Personally, I would much rather live in L.A than NYC but if the NYU program seems overwhelmingly better then USC I will obviously chose NYU. As of now it seems like a close call. Any post baccs who have been through these programs - I would love to get more information on what the post bacc group dynamics are like. Any thoughts/advice/personal experience stories will be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure which program is better but I know for sure moving across the country for a post back is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi holla22, I was accepted to USC but opted not to go for it because of the high cost. However, I'm sure you interviewed there to gain your acceptance -- I know when I did I was very impressed with the support offered by program. I, personally, just couldn't fathom paying that much for a post-bacc program. After having completed 2 semesters of pre-reqs in a DIY program at my local university, I say -- pick the cheaper program! My advisors have indicated that it matters less where you have the classes done, more that you do well and score well on the MCAT. Save the money and go where you can afford -- moving across the country is not cheap! I think that's what aspiringXdoc is getting at, too.

Congrats on your acceptances! I will be applying to both NYU and USC this year for post-bac and I would appreciate it if you could share your stats with us... uGPA, age, etc.

I really appreciate it! Good luck on your endeavors!

I would also like to contribute that I can't fathom why anyone would move cross country for a post-bacc. A discount on MCAT prep is not anything close to the cost of moving. Linkage programs are iffy at best.

Then again, if you just want to move the eff out of Podunk then more power to you. FYI L.A. is worse than NYC if you don't know anyone. Unless you'd secretly prefer to get into film.