Useful non-EM electives for Emergency Medicine applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

House911MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What non-EM electives do you think would be useful to take 4th year (maybe ones that EM residency training doesn't give enough practice in)?

I've already done a SICU elective and am scheduled for a radiology and an EKG one, but I might still have some room for a few more 2 and/or 4 week. I've heard people say anesthesiology, derm, ophthalmology, ortho/sports med, Peds EM, Tox, ID, ultrasound, etc. And wanted to see what current attendings, residents, or even 4th years think. Any thoughts about useful electives and/or specific programs to apply to for certain ones? I am personally not looking for something super easy just for credit, but ones that can be useful to for future practice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take what you'll think is fun. But I will say that I've heard EM program directors specifically name Dermatology and Opthalmology as two disciplines that interns tend to come in with zero experience in, so if it's all the same to you, those may be useful.

Obviously things like Peds EM, EM Ultrasound, and Anesthesia (airway practice only) may be even more "high yield" but you'll be doing those things for the rest of your career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going with things I'll never get formal education in again. Derm, ophtho, ENT

I'm going with things I'll never get formal education in again. Derm, ophtho, ENT

Those are the ones I'm considering right now. I kind of want to do them all. I've found some places that offer 2-week options in each of them...which now begs the question of whether I should do 2 or 4 weeks of which ones. Are you planning on making them all 4 week electives?

Those are the ones I'm considering right now. I kind of want to do them all. I've found some places that offer 2-week options in each of them...which now begs the question of whether I should do 2 or 4 weeks of which ones. Are you planning on making them all 4 week electives?
Ophtho, ENT, and dentistry are 2 weeks, and derm is a cushy 4 weeker to end the year.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick ophthalmology. You need to have a good eye exam down when you're waking up your consultant at 3am. You most certainly won't be calling a dermatologist at that hour.

You need to have a good eye exam down when you're waking up your consultant at 3am.
11.gif

It doesn't matter. You'll learn what you need to during residency.

ED attending.