MSW Useful tools for advancement in a MSW program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushKemet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been granted admittance into a fully accredited (CSWE) MSW program that has the following requirements:
(1) 62 credit hours, including 39 credit hours of required core and advanced clinical specialization courses.
(2) In addition, students complete 9 credit hours of electives and 14 credit hours of field experience.
(3) Students in the program must include at least 31 credit hours of course work at the 6000 level in their program of study.

While I'm currently enrolled in my first course for the program - Human Behavior and Social Environment I, it is a ton of work, the level of graduate study intensity has already started (50 pages of reading a night plus weekly projects and quizzes), I am curious find out if there are resources that you would recommend – blogs, websites, journals, or books—that might help make the real difference between me becoming one of the top MSW students in the program and everyone else? Considering that I know much of my success will depend on my work habits and organization, what resource(s) can you recommend to help me empower myself to be successful in this MSW program? In other words, are there any resources that you would recommend to prepare me for the major activities relevant to a MSW program, such as for the core Generalist Social Work practice—21 credit hours and the Clinical Specialization course–18 credit hours?

Thanks for your assistance.
Struggling MSW student.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure that I have any good advice for you, but I just wanted to tell you that you are in good company :) I was overwhelmed with the amount of work to be completed. I survived by learning what professor preferred what. With some professors, they only cared about what was on the slide presentation, and some would focus on the book. You could then ignore the book or slides, whichever it may be. I found old copies of the books online, with free to the public quiz generators -- which helped me with some of the weekly quizzes.

I don't know that outside resources will be helpful? Everyone will make decent grades (you have to), but I found that participating in special programs at my college helped me 1) gain additional educational experience 2) gave me opportunities for stipend monies. As a result I feel like I've made a ton of connections in the SW community and keep getting job offers. I'm not talking about volunteer type events (though that may be helpful if you were going to be a community practice student), but academic programs. Some were related to my practicums, some not. I'm involved in some really neat projects in our academic medical center and I don't' think that would have been possible if I had not taken the time out of my busy schedule to participate in these programs. I felt like those things made me stand out as a top student, rather than just my grades. I got involved early in the community I wanted to practice in.

Time management skills are essential. During my Clinical Internship, I had to put my academics on the back burner at times. When the requirements in School / Work / Life get way too tough, you may have to make hard choices.

If I slip and get a "C" on this paper, that would be unfortunate, but I can just do better on my other assignments.
If I neglect my self care and blow up on a patient, because I am focused and I NEED TO GET AN A ON THIS ASSIGNMENT... I could be ejected from the entire program (saw that happen).
If I neglect my family and create a bunch of discord with my spouse, that is not helpful either.

The best thing to do is prepare to do a lot of reading, process information, and write a report.

The best thing for you to do when completing an assignment is to read the directions on the assignment. The best thing for you to do when completing an assignment is to read the directions on the assignment. The best thing for you to do when completing an assignment is to read the directions on the assignment. Did I mention to read the directions on the assignment?

Finally, the most important thing to do is to RELAX and BREATHE! GO OUT AND HAVE FUN TOO WHEN YOU CAN! You may not get an opportunity to do so later!!!

I received a few C's, but that fact is nowhere on the degree.

I never aimed for mediocrity, but if a setback happens, I was able to accept that.

Sending positive vibes to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Time management skills are essential. During my Clinical Internship, I had to put my academics on the back burner at times. When the requirements in School / Work / Life get way too tough, you may have to make hard choices.

If I slip and get a "C" on this paper, that would be unfortunate, but I can just do better on my other assignments.
If I neglect my self care and blow up on a patient, because I am focused and I NEED TO GET AN A ON THIS ASSIGNMENT... I could be ejected from the entire program (saw that happen).
If I neglect my family and create a bunch of discord with my spouse, that is not helpful either.

The best thing to do is prepare to do a lot of reading, process information, and write a report.

The best thing for you to do when completing an assignment is to read the directions on the assignment. The best thing for you to do when completing an assignment is to read the directions on the assignment. The best thing for you to do when completing an assignment is to read the directions on the assignment. Did I mention to read the directions on the assignment?

Finally, the most important thing to do is to RELAX and BREATHE! GO OUT AND HAVE FUN TOO WHEN YOU CAN! You may not get an opportunity to do so later!!!

I received a few C's, but that fact is nowhere on the degree.

I never aimed for mediocrity, but if a setback happens, I was able to accept that.

Sending positive vibes to you!

Thank you both for that really sound advice. I guess it does come down to mastering the fundamentals and the rest will fall into place.

Best regards.