Usefulness of Chief Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read some older threads on the topic but was hoping on getting some advice regarding the usefulness of being a chief resident for someone who is pursuing a career in community emergency medicine (or at a hybrid community satellite of a larger academic place). Most things I've read say "not so helpful" but I was hoping to get some extra input.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good on a resume. You probably get some useful leadership experience out of it. We'd be more likely to hire you if you were one, but how much more likely, hard to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is highly useful to be the chief resident. At least in my residency, the top resident was selected to be the chief (not me by a long shot), so in my mind, if someone tells me they were selected as chief, I definitely respect that--and if I had to hire someone, that would certainly be a huge plus.

Looks good on a resume. You probably get some useful leadership experience out of it. We'd be more likely to hire you if you were one, but how much more likely, hard to say.

what else do you guys look at then when hiring, especially of new grads?

It is very useful.
You will learn how to deal with tons of BS.
Great training for your future career.

Reactions: 1 user
The general consensus I've gotten is that people who were Chief Resident will look upon you more favorably and those who were not Chief Resident won't care...

what else do you guys look at then when hiring, especially of new grads?

I'm the president/medical director for a true SDG At a 50k community shop. If hiring new grads we like to see:

Chief residents: usually means you can play well with others and received some sort of vote of confidence from your faculty and/or residents who worked with you the past 3-4 years.

moonlighting experience: if a new grad shows up with 750 hrs of moonlighting experience (especially solo), they're arriving with 6 months attending experience. That makes a huge difference in how long it takes them to acclimate and get up to speed as a new attending.

ties to the area: we don't want someone coming in just for the high reimbursement we have and then taking off after 2-3 years because they ultimately wanted to live somewhere else. We want to hire people who are looking to spend their whole career with us. Ties to the area make that more likely.

Reactions: 1 users
Well obviously it's essential. You can't get a good job without it. Half of my non-chief classmates have to go to rural North Dakota, and the other half couldn't even find jobs and are going to work at Arby's.
giphy.gif

Being Chief doesn't really matter. It's a nice feather to the proverbial hat, and could help your chances at getting a job somewhere desirable.
It's the connections you make and your references that matter more than anything.
I'm not chief resident and I scored a sweet gig - thanks to connections and stellar references. Main thing is to work hard in residency, do well on ITE, and be well-liked.
Plenty of folks in academics weren't chief.

90% of community Jobs as they are all hurting - Does not matter

10% of the rest which are highly sought after in a competitive market.
#1 Connection
#2 Good personality, Fast, moonlighting
#3 If all things are equal then you give it to the Chief as admin duties may come in handy.

I would tell someone who wants to be a chief to get a better job, don't waste you time.
If you want to be chief, learn admin stuff, want to be the top resident dog, go ahead. No biggie other alittle of your time.

Reactions: 1 user