USF Anesthesiology Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pietrantonio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the USF have an Anesthesia residency program? I looked through the USF website and I did not see a program; however, after a search on SDN there is a link to browse reviews for a USF Anesthesia residency program.

Curious....

Members don't see this ad.

ACGME cut their program.
They were bad things that happen at Tampa General. Resident overworked, poor board scores. Board pass rate around 50%

They did, at one point, but it was put on probation and then eventually removed, if I recall correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes me wonder about the USF Medical School. Hopefully there are some good things to be said about that program.....

Makes me wonder about the USF Medical School. Hopefully there are some good things to be said about that program.....

The issues with anesthesia were isolated to that department (which no longer exists BECAUSE of those issues) and is no way a reflection on the other GME programs or the medical school.

There are many great things to say about the medical school...you can ask me as I am a 4th year there.

IMHO: I have to say it makes me suspicious of the school quality, no offense CanHasNaps...it's pretty hard for a department to have a failure like that in isolation. I would suspect the hospital CEO or board of directors would have a little come to jesus talk with the PD considering the financial and reputation implications of not being able to support a graduate program. Can curmudgeons, poor teachers and bad board scores repeatedly happen to a dept? Well yes, but to have the department officially fail is a bad sign. The fact that it is 'isolated' to me sounds worse: that there is no oversight, no quality control measures for a department.

Last edited:
IMHO: I have to say it makes me suspicious of the school quality, no offense CanHasNaps...it's pretty hard for a department to have a failure like that in isolation. I would suspect the hospital CEO or board of directors would have a little come to jesus talk with the PD considering the financial and reputation implications of not being able to support a graduate program. Can curmudgeons, poor teachers and bad board scores repeatedly happen to a dept? Well yes, but to have the department officially fail is a bad sign. The fact that it is 'isolated' to me sounds worse: that there is no oversight, no quality control measures for a department.

One thing you will realize when you start residency is how very little the clinical departments have to do with the medical school. Often the affiliation is little more than nominal in nature. This situation can, and does, happen with regularity. Programs do get shut down, even at "good" medical schools.

One thing you will realize when you start residency is how very little the clinical departments have to do with the medical school. Often the affiliation is little more than nominal in nature. This situation can, and does, happen with regularity. Programs do get shut down, even at "good" medical schools.

Very true. I would hesitate to draw any connection between an ailing department and the overall medical school quality.

Dr Magnar. That dude is probably the single factor in the demise of the USF program. Florida gulf to bay ran it as a de factor satellite private practice with disregard for residency education.

He's obviously sold some of his stake to private equity firm a few years ago. And I believe sold the rest to a management company recently. Team health?

Dr Magnar. That dude is probably the single factor in the demise of the USF program. Florida gulf to bay ran it as a de factor satellite private practice with disregard for residency education.

He's obviously sold some of his stake to private equity firm a few years ago. And I believe sold the rest to a management company recently. Team health?

Mangar made millions from the sale of his company. I'm sure he profited like nobody else did in FGTB. Mangar made more money from these deals than 99% of us will earn in a lifetime.

I interviewed there for an attending position. For the amount of hours worked (especially ICU) the job is pretty ridiculous. I ended up choosing to remain in Academics elsewhere. PM me if you want the details on that group.