USF for UG and MD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drmom2b

Undergrad but Driven
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea: :thumbup: :thumbdown: ?I have been surfing through the many threads and havent found too many people attending or applying to many florida schools. I have been looking into USF and I am impressed. I am looking for a college in FL that I can complete my UG Grad and Med school at. (Hopefully). I was wandering if anyone has done this and what were your likes and dislikes about USF or any other Florida campus. In addition to USF I am a Seminole!!GO NOLES! But I'm not too sure about their medical school. Has anyone attended FSU or USF?? Please respond!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

:idea: :thumbup: :thumbdown: ?I have been surfing through the many threads and havent found too many people attending or applying to many florida schools. I have been looking into USF and I am impressed. I am looking for a college in FL that I can complete my UG Grad and Med school at. (Hopefully). I was wandering if anyone has done this and what were your likes and dislikes about USF or any other Florida campus. In addition to USF I am a Seminole!!GO NOLES! But I'm not too sure about their medical school. Has anyone attended FSU or USF?? Please respond!

Thanks
Hi, fellow Floridian here. :) I went to UG at New College, which at the time was part of USF (USF-Sarasota). I applied to USF, UF and Miami for med school last year. I didn't apply to FSU because they are primary care oriented and I want to do research. I was accepted to all three schools, and I felt that they were all open to nontrad applicants.

I can't tell you much about FSU, but FWIW, I think that USF is a fantastic school. They just finished building a really nice new simulation center. There are a lot of nontrads there, the new dean is really committed to building up the program, and Tampa is by far the nicest of the three cities (versus Gainesville or Miami) IMO. If you're not sure which school you want to attend, I recommend that you apply to all of them. Every FL school gives state residents preference, including Miami. If you're sure you want to go to USF for med school, what I recommend you do is contact REL Larkin in the admissions office and talk to him. You should also consider applying to the Early Decision program. One of my friends did that, got accepted in September, and had a very stress-free last year before med school.

If you have any more questions about applying to the FL schools, feel free to PM me. But the best advice I can give you is to make sure that you get significant volunteering and shadowing experience while you do your UG work. All of the FL schools value this, but USF in particular really weights your community service.

Thanks

I'm sure that the med school is fine, but for UG be aware that getting into some of the prereqs science labs are tough..i.e. Ochem. Unfortunately, although they may have the lecture that holds about 300 people, they usually only have enough lab spots for only 72 of those students, so that means that in order to get your required lab, you may have to take the lab semester after you take the lecture.

Your best bet is to take your first two years at one of the community colleges (I attend MCC), and then finish your degree at USF. USF has agreements with many of the CCs so by you will get credit for the classes that you take, especially if you get your AA at the CC.

Actually my A&P I instructor is now a 3 year (or possibly 4th yr) med student at USF, and he went in at 28 I believe.

Krisss17

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is to take your first two years at one of the community colleges (I attend MCC), and then finish your degree at USF. USF has agreements with many of the CCs so by you will get credit for the classes that you take, especially if you get your AA at the CC.
OP, I would talk to REL before doing this, because a lot of med schools do not consider CC level coursework to be equivalent to the same courses taken at a four year college. I don't know how USF feels about it, but it would be best to find out before you start your coursework rather than after.

OP, I would talk to REL before doing this, because a lot of med schools do not consider CC level coursework to be equivalent to the same courses taken at a four year college. I don't know how USF feels about it, but it would be best to find out before you start your coursework rather than after.

A lot of med schools do recognize cc credits. In FL, UF is the only one that doesn't, and honestly, I think it's the dumbest thing they can do.

A lot of med schools do recognize cc credits. In FL, UF is the only one that doesn't, and honestly, I think it's the dumbest thing they can do.
I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this policy, but unfortunately it's a fact of life that many schools do take this position. IMO, the OP ought to be aware of this possibility and check with all the schools where she wants to apply before deciding to attend a CC. If USF indeed doesn't care, then there's no problem. But I really think she ought to ask REL first; he's the kind of guy who will tell it like it is.

UF alum (Go Gators) here! Personally, I LOVE USF's med school (the cancer center is tight too) and find the atmosphere there VERY nontrad friendly. If I were still a Fl resident, I'd apply everywhere BUT UF and would probably apply to USF early decision.

Just a few more details. I am taking my (AA Pre Med) at GCCC in Panama City. I will indeed check to see if they accept the courses from the cc. When can you apply to the early decision program?? Can you apply with an AA degree?? Or do you have to have a bachelors? Also you said that USF is nontrad friendly.. do you think a degree in NURSING would hinder acceptance? An advisor at USF told me they have had nurses accepted but I wasnt sure what you guys thought?? What were your majors?? USF is my top pick!! I have been looking at their site and trying to collect all the information I can.:confused:

Just a few more details. I am taking my (AA Pre Med) at GCCC in Panama City. I will indeed check to see if they accept the courses from the cc. When can you apply to the early decision program?? Can you apply with an AA degree?? Or do you have to have a bachelors? Also you said that USF is nontrad friendly.. do you think a degree in NURSING would hinder acceptance? An advisor at USF told me they have had nurses accepted but I wasnt sure what you guys thought?? What were your majors?? USF is my top pick!! I have been looking at their site and trying to collect all the information I can.:confused:
Yes, you do need a Bachelor's degree in almost all cases. Most people don't apply for med school until they're seniors in college. No, your major is irrelevant, though if you are looking to change from nursing to medicine, you may have to explain why you want to make the change. Here is the webpage for the USF COM: http://www.hsc.usf.edu/medicine/mdadmissions/ It explains all of the requirements there. If you still have questions, you should contact REL Larkin, who is the director of admissions. He's a very nice and helpful man.

Thanks

I'm a 3rd year at USF med and am happy with my experience here. There are pros and cons to any program, but I think that you get an overall good education that's probably as good as most places country. If you have any specific questions about the medical school feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'd be happy to answer them the best that I can.

Im not too sure how to PM you but thank you a lot. How does the early decision work and when can you apply. I think I have made up my mind finally that I will major in Biology.

Im not too sure how to PM you but thank you a lot. How does the early decision work and when can you apply. I think I have made up my mind finally that I will major in Biology.

To PM, click on the users name and select send private message.

If you want to apply EDP, contact the school's admissions office.
Basically you need to get your completed app in before Aug 15 and you only apply to that one school. You get an answer before Oct 1 and if they accept you, you have to go there.

Do a search for more info on EDP.

Old thread. :p

REL is no longer at USF (he's moved on to UCF's new med school).

I could say more about USF, but I think everything's covered unless you have any new questions. :)

i used to live in Tampa Palms. it was pretty cool. that's all i can add :)

good luck.

If you're doing bio for undergrad and you are a seminole, you should go to FSU. FSU has finally finished building the new biology building and all the classes are over there. Brand new labs along with brand new classrooms. Advising for Bio at FSU is amazing also. Really nice people. Oh one downside is that FSU College of Arts and Science requires you to complete a foreign language to the 2000 level to graduate. The Biology major also requires a year of Calculus or one semester calc and one biostatistics. Also, the premed advising office is right next door. The Biology building is next to the College of Medicine so you can just walk next door and have premed advising. There's also the added benefit of doing a DIS(Direct Individual Research) as an Honors in the major if you are interested in the research side. You're required to do a thesis and then you defend it like a dissertation. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Obviously I am a bit biased so you should keep that in mind. Why don't you just visit both schools to decide?

You could do FSU for undergrad and then do med school at some other place in Florida.

I'm a USF grad with Bio degree. Found it to be a great school and getting into the classes you need is not difficult as long as you register at the earliest you are allowed to register and plan what classes you are going to take in each semester yourself.

From high school through post - bac I have found counselors to be less than stellar. My orientation counselor had me signed up for the organic class for non bio majors during my first semester, last time I went for help in registering for classes.

If you want in at the med school make sure you make it over to the med school from time to time. The medical building is separated from the UG buildings. When doing undergraduate research, try not to do it with the graduate program in the college of arts and sciences on the main campus, instead try to get in with the programs in the med building/moffit so you can start making connections with staff there.

hey its been awhile since i last posted but I was accepted to USF for my UG. I am there currently. do you have any tips for testing etc.... I will send you a friend request so we can keep in contact if thats ok?

Any suggestions for research opportunities or how to get started?