USF MSMS 2015 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently submitted my application to the USF MSMS program and was hoping former or current students could share experiences/thoughts about the program.
I figured I would start a new thread for those who are currently applying as well:welcome:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for creating this! Sending my application over tomorrow!:)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for creating this! Sending my application over tomorrow!:)

Awesome! best of luck :thumbup: I submitted my secondary application last week, they received it on the 7th and I got an email saying my application was complete on the 8th. They are pretty quick so check your email frequently!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many students are accepted in this program? Did they discontinue IMS?

How many students are accepted in this program? Did they discontinue IMS?

I believe 200+ and I am not sure about IMS but I think I may have read on previous threads that they are revamping it

I believe 200+ and I am not sure about IMS but I think I may have read on previous threads that they are revamping it

Ouch, that huge class size is a turn off

Congrat!!! Did they email you?

Congrats! I was wondering if you think a 22 MCAT is too low for this program?
i definitely think its possible along as the rest of your application shows promise, but i would definitely take it again
Congrat!!! Did they email you?
yes they send an email informing you you've been accepted

i definitely think its possible along as the rest of your application shows promise, but i would definitely take it again

yes they send an email informing you you've been accepted

When did they email you saying that your application was complete? I am just curious because I got an email on Jan 21 telling me that my application was complete so I was wondering around when they will get back to me. Thanks!

When did they email you saying that your application was complete? I am just curious because I got an email on Jan 21 telling me that my application was complete so I was wondering around when they will get back to me. Thanks!
Congrats! When did you apply and how long did it take for a response?
hey guys so my application was complete last monday and i was accepted yesterday

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the online masters presently. I began the program Fall 2014 and plan on finishing Fall 2015. Please ask if you have any questions applying or if you have any questions about the program itself.

Reactions: 2 users
Ouch, that huge class size is a turn off
It's not that bad, I graduated this program 2 years ago and it was one of the best times of my life. Our whole class (at least half I should say) was very close. I made some amazing friends here and got to know a lot of the teachers. They are very open to questions and if you need guidance there is always someone available. It is a lot of work but totally worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
hey guys so my application was complete last monday, feb 2, and i was accepted exactly one week later, yesterday (feb 9)

Congrats! Do you mind me asking what were your stats? Have you applied to any other programs?

I'm in the online masters presently. I began the program Fall 2014 and plan on finishing Fall 2015. Please ask if you have any questions applying or if you have any questions about the program itself.
Thanks for answering questions! I assume you're using this program to better your application for professional school? If so, have you found it difficult to get letters of recommendations from your professors? Is there good advising for students in this program who want to move on to professional school?

Thanks for answering questions! I assume you're using this program to better your application for professional school? If so, have you found it difficult to get letters of recommendations from your professors? Is there good advising for students in this program who want to move on to professional school?
Being an online program, we interact with professors mainly through email or Canvas announcements. That being said it is entirely your responsibility to email them with questions, set an appointment to meet with them personally, or drop by during their office hours. The professors who teach the online program are the exact same for the in-person masters and medical programs. They are warm, down to earth and always willing to make time with their students. I already have 2 that I'm getting LORs from, one from last semester and one from this semester. And for advising, yes there are student organizations to help students in the SMP hoping to apply to a professional school. Much of the advising I've gotten has been from professors, a few of them on the board of admissions for USF COM! Obviously they cannot violate the ethics of the admissions process by handing out secrets, but I've been able to have their guidance and expertise when it comes to getting my application ready for this Summer.

Being an online program, we interact with professors mainly through email or Canvas announcements. That being said it is entirely your responsibility to email them with questions, set an appointment to meet with them personally, or drop by during their office hours. The professors who teach the online program are the exact same for the in-person masters and medical programs. They are warm, down to earth and always willing to make time with their students. I already have 2 that I'm getting LORs from, one from last semester and one from this semester. And for advising, yes there are student organizations to help students in the SMP hoping to apply to a professional school. Much of the advising I've gotten has been from professors, a few of them on the board of admissions for USF COM! Obviously they cannot violate the ethics of the admissions process by handing out secrets, but I've been able to have their guidance and expertise when it comes to getting my application ready for this Summer.
Thanks for your response! I live in Hawaii so I will probably never see a professor in person. Did you have to visit those professors in person to get letters from them? Also, do you think a 22 MCAT is good enough for this program?

Thanks for your response! I live in Hawaii so I will probably never see a professor in person. Did you have to visit those professors in person to get letters from them? Also, do you think a 22 MCAT is good enough for this program?
Most of the students in the program dont even life instate much less in Tampa. Ive made buddies with professors through emailing them questions at least once a week. I would imagine a 22 MCAT would be suitable. I know of people whom have gotten in with less. My sincere advice to you is to double check with your schools to make sure they have no problem with an online masters (they shouldnt, none of mine did and I know a couple of people who matriculated after this online program) and to apply early.

Most of the students in the program dont even life instate much less in Tampa. Ive made buddies with professors through emailing them questions at least once a week. I would imagine a 22 MCAT would be suitable. I know of people whom have gotten in with less. My sincere advice to you is to double check with your schools to make sure they have no problem with an online masters (they shouldnt, none of mine did and I know a couple of people who matriculated after this online program) and to apply early.
Thanks again for your response to my questions and I want to apologize for asking so many. Would you feel comfortable sharing which medical schools you contacted to ask if having an online masters would look favorable on your application? Were their responses, "We have no problem with an online masters, just do well" or more like "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt you but. . ." I've just heard so many people say don't do an online masters, ever.

I'll be using this program to apply to osteopathic medical schools only. Did any of your friends go DO? Did you or your friends that got into medical school already have fairly good UG GPA's (>or=3.4)? If you don't feel comfortable sharing this information I will understand. Thanks again for your help thus far.

Thanks again for your response to my questions and I want to apologize for asking so many. Would you feel comfortable sharing which medical schools you contacted to ask if having an online masters would look favorable on your application? Were their responses, "We have no problem with an online masters, just do well" or more like "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt you but. . ." I've just heard so many people say don't do an online masters, ever.

I'll be using this program to apply to osteopathic medical schools only. Did any of your friends go DO? Did you or your friends that got into medical school already have fairly good UG GPA's (>or=3.4)? If you don't feel comfortable sharing this information I will understand. Thanks again for your help thus far.

Please dont worry about asking lots of questions. With decisions like these its wise to get your research done. I'm a pre-dental student myself, but I wanted to make sure that ALL professional schools would be alright with my decision to take online calsses just in case I switched back to pre-med. The MEDICAL school admissions officers I got in touch with were from LECOM-Bradenton, LECOM-Erie, UF, ASDOH, ATSU and one other one that I cant remember at the moment. I've also heard a lot of things about not taking online pre-reqs or that some shcools prefer a real in-person SMP but at all of the schools I spoke to the response was "We have no problem with an online masters, just do well", in fact some admissions folk told me I wasnt the first student in an online program and I wouldnt be the last.

Actually, before I entered the program I got advice from another dude on this forum who took it a couple of years ago. I forget his name but try to find him in the postbacc forums for the usf smp. He was in the online program and he's at ATSU-DO right now. People I know who completed this program and got into med/dental school had at least a 3.7 grad GPA and nothing more than a 3.4 UG GPA. These SMPs are made for "2.9-3.4 UG GPA" people who are willing to kill it in grad school for a chance to prove themselves. Personally I love the program. I work hard but the stuff is interesting and the teachers are respectful and fair. I'm sooo ready for the 2015 cycle to begin in June, I'm doing well for myself.

Please dont worry about asking lots of questions. With decisions like these its wise to get your research done. I'm a pre-dental student myself, but I wanted to make sure that ALL professional schools would be alright with my decision to take online calsses just in case I switched back to pre-med. The MEDICAL school admissions officers I got in touch with were from LECOM-Bradenton, LECOM-Erie, UF, ASDOH, ATSU and one other one that I cant remember at the moment. I've also heard a lot of things about not taking online pre-reqs or that some shcools prefer a real in-person SMP but at all of the schools I spoke to the response was "We have no problem with an online masters, just do well", in fact some admissions folk told me I wasnt the first student in an online program and I wouldnt be the last.

Actually, before I entered the program I got advice from another dude on this forum who took it a couple of years ago. I forget his name but try to find him in the postbacc forums for the usf smp. He was in the online program and he's at ATSU-DO right now. People I know who completed this program and got into med/dental school had at least a 3.7 grad GPA and nothing more than a 3.4 UG GPA. These SMPs are made for "2.9-3.4 UG GPA" people who are willing to kill it in grad school for a chance to prove themselves. Personally I love the program. I work hard but the stuff is interesting and the teachers are respectful and fair. I'm sooo ready for the 2015 cycle to begin in June, I'm doing well for myself.
You're so Awesome! Thanks for your reply. I'm so pumped now:banana:

No problem dude! if you got any more questions please feel free to PM me or post to the wall.
Hi superluminal. I was rejected today from my number one choice of post-bacc. programs. Now I'm ready to complete my application to USF.

I was wondering if you knew how USF calculates admissions GPA? Do they calculate it like AACOMAS by taking the most recent repeat of a course or like AMCAS by averaging all courses?

Hi superluminal. I was rejected today from my number one choice of post-bacc. programs. Now I'm ready to complete my application to USF.

I was wondering if you knew how USF calculates admissions GPA? Do they calculate it like AACOMAS by taking the most recent repeat of a course or like AMCAS by averaging all courses?
On the programs' application webpage, you are required to fill in an Excel GPA calculating spreadsheet of any and all anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, biotechnology, botany, cell biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, physiology, physical chemistry, molecules and cells, astronomy, physics, and thermodynamics courses but with out any lab or math courses. This means that if you retook a course twice, you would put all of the information into your spread sheet. When its time to actually turn in the application, you must include both the filled out Excel as well as a sealed official transcript.

This is the website http://gradaffairs.health.usf.edu/ms_application.html
Please hit me up if you have any more questions.

On the programs' application webpage, you are required to fill in an Excel GPA calculating spreadsheet of any and all anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, biotechnology, botany, cell biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, physiology, physical chemistry, molecules and cells, astronomy, physics, and thermodynamics courses but with out any lab or math courses. This means that if you retook a course twice, you would put all of the information into your spread sheet. When its time to actually turn in the application, you must include both the filled out Excel as well as a sealed official transcript.

This is the website http://gradaffairs.health.usf.edu/ms_application.html
Please hit me up if you have any more questions.
Thanks for the info. Looks like this program is not for me. I retook a million classes as an UG, so I think the way you just described their GPA calculation puts my GPA at a 2.4science. That's why I was only going to apply to DO schools, the way they calculate GPA raises mine significantly.
I didn't mean to waste your time. I should of known this before asking you a ton of needless questions.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. Looks like this program is not for me. I retook a million classes as an UG, so I think the way you just described their GPA calculation puts my GPA at a 2.4science. That's why I was only going to apply to DO schools, the way they calculate GPA raises mine significantly.
I didn't mean to waste your time. I should of known this before asking you a ton of needless questions.

Thanks again.
Dude, don't even worry about it. Its important to ask questions so I'm glad to help. To be honest the application is relatively cheap so it wouldn't hurt to apply. Most of the applicants apply for the in-person program so I think the online program allows a little more leg room for its acceptances. Also, if you look at the program website it lists a set of acceptance criteria. My advice to you is to take the MCAT or GRE and give it your best shot. If you are dead set on the online program but it still doesnt turn out, you can apply for the online certificate program. Its basically a semester's worht of classes from the online program to show that you can handle the program. When you complete it you get the certificate and then re-apply to the online program for SPRING 2016 and the credits you did for the certificate will carry over to the online program and you just keep going from there. In fact thats what I was planning to do if I didnt get in because I applied LATE in the cycle like in April. If you need any help please feel free to ask.

Hey MDknight2B congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking are you a FL resident? Also did you apply to other postbac/smps or have you decided to attend USF?
thank you! yes i am a fl resident

Last edited:
thank you! yes i am a fl resident, and I'm currently applying to medical schools (only MD) and haven't been accepted. this is my contingency plan, I've considered other programs (boston MAMS, georgetown and george mason) but they're too expensive in my opinion i really don't think its worth it.

*****BTW for those of you interested they already sent the class schedule in the acceptance email and we will be having class M-TH 2-5 pm friday optional
Ahhh I see. I was accepted at USF MSMS as well but I'm in Cali and will apply MD/DO this cycle. I originally wanted to do IMS but since thats no longer an option I guess this will have to do. Good luck with the rest of your app cycle!

Congratulations to those accepted. Do you all mind sharing when you were complete? Did you also get an email saying you were complete?

Congratulations to those accepted. Do you all mind sharing when you were complete? Did you also get an email saying you were complete?

Yes, you do get an email when your app is complete. Mine was complete on Monday.

Yes, you do get an email when your app is complete. Mine was complete on Monday.
Thank you for your response. That's a fast turnaround for a decision. Good luck with your classes.

Hi wondering if someone can answer these few questions:

How long on average does it take to finish the program? A whole year or one school year? Are most people doing the program full time or working and doing it part time?

I got a rejection letter from USF Morsani College of Medicine :( saying IMS students are guaranteed to matriculate into the subsequent class if they achieve the benchmarks of the program. Anyone know what the benchmarks are? Guaranteed seems to be a strong word. Are these students applying while in the program there? I'm guessing most people take a gap year after the program right?

Does anyone know what the cost is roughly?

Thanks!

registration opens today but I didn't get the email that Emily Barton said they would send out with the additional info on how to register. Has anyone else?