USF MSMS 2016 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrshneeb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent my application in for the USF 1 year MSMS Pre-professional program.

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.41
MCAT: April 1st, 2016

They are waiting on my MCAT scores. I take the test on April 1st. Anyone else in yet? Just wanted to make a thread to see who's applying. Any Info would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied in January and was accepted within the same week that they received my application. I applied using the GRE instead of the MCAT, but my GPA numbers are similar to yours. I spoke to an admissions representative, and she told me that they are reducing the size of the program this year. That being said, I think the admissions averages will be a bit higher than previous years, but you should be fine with your numbers. Good luck with the MCAT.

I applied in January and was accepted within the same week that they received my application. I applied using the GRE instead of the MCAT, but my GPA numbers are similar to yours. I spoke to an admissions representative, and she told me that they are reducing the size of the program this year. That being said, I think the admissions averages will be a bit higher than previous years, but you should be fine with your numbers. Good luck with the MCAT.

What was your MCAT score if you don't mind me asking? Also do you think applying that late might take me out of the running?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your MCAT score if you don't mind me asking? Also do you think applying that late might take me out of the running?
I didn't take the MCAT yet. I don't think it's too late. I know someone who got accepted in July last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if it's going to be a 200+ class again and if that really makes any difference for getting into medical school?

How long after you sent your application did you receive an email stating that your application was complete? I sent my application on Wednesday and have not received a confirmation email of any sort.

Does anyone know if it's going to be a 200+ class again and if that really makes any difference for getting into medical school?

The class sizes have only increased every year. I don't think the class size has any bearing on getting into medical school, it just shows medical schools that this program tried to get their penny's worth by accepting as many students as they thought they could support on the campus and on exam day. Overall though, this program has instances where it will help you for acceptance into medical school depending on what you're lacking for acceptance at the moment. Don't expect it to increase your chances into USF's COM, it wont. You will have no significant advantage whatsoever for their college of medicine and the people who were accepted into their college of medicine are those individuals who would have been accepted regardless of this program. The program definitely wont hurt you if you do well but I personally don't believe it is the golden ticket into medical school like some people will make the program out to be. It definitely prepares you for upper level medical science courses and gives you a taste of how difficult medical school will be. If you do well in the program, it will also show medical schools you can handle hard sciences all at once. Again, can you get into medical school without this program? Probably.

anyone applying to the online MS track?

anyone applying to the online MS track?
I was considering USF and noticed they offered an online MS track. But I searched through several threads that advised staying away from these type of options. They claimed that MD, DO, dental, etc schools don't value them because you're not physically going to class and taking labs alongside your classes. Admissions committees see it as a less rigorous curriculum. I'm strictly going off what I read on here and common knowledge though.

I was considering USF and noticed they offered an online MS track. But I searched through several threads that advised staying away from these type of options. They claimed that MD, DO, dental, etc schools don't value them because you're not physically going to class and taking labs alongside your classes. Admissions committees see it as a less rigorous curriculum. I'm strictly going off what I read on here and common knowledge though.

Even if you do the program on-campus there are the classes you take only have the lecture component. The only lab class in the program is the Gross Anatomy Lab elective class you can take during the Spring or Summer semester. You have take the Basic Medical Anatomy lecture class portion, and get an A, then you must get permission from the instructor to enroll as there is limited space for only students 20 in the class as you will be dissecting cadavers.

I mailed my application for the pre-professional program on April 15th. It was marked as completed on April 19th and I was notified of my acceptance on April 20th.

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.48
GRE: 313

Looking for a roommate to live with near campus. Can't wait to meet everyone and get started!!! Good luck guys!!!

I mailed my application for the pre-professional program on April 15th. It was marked as completed on April 19th and I was notified of my acceptance on April 20th.

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.48
GRE: 313

Looking for a roommate to live with near campus. Can't wait to meet everyone and get started!!! Good luck guys!!!

I am also looking for a roommate to stay with near campus. I've heard IQ apartments are nice, thoughts?

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA:3.0
GRE: TBA

Sending in my application at the end of May. I noticed they postponed the deadline from June 31st to July 1st. I think maybe they haven't had as many applicants this year. Anyway if I get in I'll be looking for a roommate as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also looking for a roommate, doesn't matter what gender. Let me know!!

I submitted my application in March with these stats
GPA: 3.2
sGPA: 2.80
GRE: 305
Good recommendations and an amazing resume
I never got any decision so I updated my application with this last semester grades
GPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.04
Anyone have any thoughts on how my application looks for admission?
They said they're growing the application pool and that I could get an answer possibly till the first day of classes, which is nerve wrecking. I was looking at previous years USF threads and people were saying they never even received rejections and just had to assume they were.
Has anyone received any rejections or even acceptances with scores similar to mine?

i applied with cgpa 3.27 and sgpa 3.21 512 mcat and got accepted 2 days later

UPDATE: I've been accepted into the program

I submitted my application in March with these stats
GPA: 3.2
sGPA: 2.80
GRE: 305
Good recommendations and an amazing resume
I never got any decision so I updated my application with this last semester grades
GPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.04
Anyone have any thoughts on how my application looks for admission?
They said they're growing the application pool and that I could get an answer possibly till the first day of classes, which is nerve wrecking. I was looking at previous years USF threads and people were saying they never even received rejections and just had to assume they were.
Has anyone received any rejections or even acceptances with scores similar to mine?
Updat

Anyone have any data on where people get into med school from USF MSMS program? Recently accepted and trying to decide if it will help my med school chances. 3.6cgpa 3.4 sgpa, 31 old MCAT, retaking in August.

Anyone have any data on where people get into med school from USF MSMS program? Recently accepted and trying to decide if it will help my med school chances. 3.6cgpa 3.4 sgpa, 31 old MCAT, retaking in August.

This is directly from the website... http://gradaffairs.health.usf.edu/faq.html

80% said the program helped them gain admission to professional school
13% will make up USF's incoming med school class

Your stats look pretty good though btw.

I submitted my application and received an email on June 3rd saying: "This e-mail is to notify you that we have received all necessary documents and your secondary application is now marked complete."

GPA: 3.636
sGPA: 3.60 (by the USF sheet excluding certain classes/labs)
sGPA: 3.53 (all science classes)
GRE: 307 (152 Verbal/ 155 Quantitate Reasoning)
I have two excellent recommendation letters and a pretty good resume.

The same email states: "Highly competitive applicants usually hear a decision within 2-3 weeks after their application is complete."

Anyone have any thoughts on how my application looks for admission? Also, is there a chance I could hear any sooner?

Hey everyone!

I've been accepted to this program but I have some questions. From what I've seen, it seems like the program is well known in Florida and so graduates have a pretty good shot at medical schools in Florida. No offense to Floridians, but I'm not too excited about living in Florida for all that time - just can't do that heat for that long. Does anyone know if grads are also likely to be accepted to med schools in other parts of the country?

I'm only asking because I've also been accepted to Loyola MAMS, so I'm having to weigh the options.

I submitted my application and received an email on June 3rd saying: "This e-mail is to notify you that we have received all necessary documents and your secondary application is now marked complete."

The same email states: "Highly competitive applicants usually hear a decision within 2-3 weeks after their application is complete."

Anyone have any thoughts on how my application looks for admission? Also, is there a chance I could hear any sooner?

Your stats look pretty great, I'd say you're fairly likely to be admitted. But honestly, why not just take the MCAT and apply to medical schools straight away if you've got a good resume and solid LORs? In any case, you can definitely hear back from these guys in less than 2-3 weeks. I think I recall hearing back from them less than 2 weeks after they let me know they had all of my materials.

Update: I have been accepted to the program!

Is anyone looking for a roommate?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Your stats look pretty great, I'd say you're fairly likely to be admitted. But honestly, why not just take the MCAT and apply to medical schools straight away if you've got a good resume and solid LORs? In any case, you can definitely hear back from these guys in less than 2-3 weeks. I think I recall hearing back from them less than 2 weeks after they let me know they had all of my materials.
I have been weighing the option of going into the military and if you enter with a master's degree, you are placed at a higher rank, deemed appropriate by a recruiter, than other peers who are entering with you with a bachelor's degree. I did hear back and got accepted though!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Hi!
I will be attending USF for my MSMS starting August. Does anyone know the academic calendar for this program? I would really appreciate it!!

Hi!
I will be attending USF for my MSMS starting August. Does anyone know the academic calendar for this program? I would really appreciate it!!

This is what they sent me in their email:
Fall classes start August 22, 2016. The Academic Calendar is online at: http://www.registrar.usf.edu/enroll/regist/calendt.php. The graduate program ends in Summer Session C. The last day of class will be July 21st; however, final exams are the next week after (the exact day is TBD).

Just got accepted to this today. I don't know if I'm actually going to pursue or not, because DO grade replacement is definitely cheaper.

I literally applied like last week. But I have a lot of ties to the area so I think it may have been a special case. I would give em a call

no problem. my stats are garbage, but I am very connected to USF like I said. Like a 3.01 sGPA and a 508 MCAT. My letter I sent was very well worded, and I have plenty of letters of references. I know that they're filling the class now, and it goes until mid-August. Don't lose hope!

I just applied to the MSMS online program as an out-of-state student. (I live in CA.) My plan is to complete the MSMS part-time while working full-time (I work in trauma), then apply to PA School. I already have all of the undergraduate pre-reqs for PA School, but my goal is to prove that I can handle graduate courses in order to have a more competitive application. My stats aren't too great, which is another reason I think I need the online MSMS program to prove I have what it takes. My science GPA is 3.24 and my GRE is 303. If I get in it will be a miracle! I was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me?

I just applied to the MSMS online program as an out-of-state student. (I live in CA.) My plan is to complete the MSMS part-time while working full-time (I work in trauma), then apply to PA School. I already have all of the undergraduate pre-reqs for PA School, but my goal is to prove that I can handle graduate courses in order to have a more competitive application. My stats aren't too great, which is another reason I think I need the online MSMS program to prove I have what it takes. My science GPA is 3.24 and my GRE is 303. If I get in it will be a miracle! I was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me?
I applied to the MSMS pre-professional program and I am still waiting to hear back from them, my stats are about the same as yours. I am very anxious to hear back from them!

I too am pending a decision from the admissions dept. I applied to the pre-professional program on campus, not online. My application was marked as complete early to mid June. We shall see...

does anyone know if this program is do-able with a 20 hr/week research job? I usually just study here anyways. im on the fence about it

does anyone know if this program is do-able with a 20 hr/week research job? I usually just study here anyways. im on the fence about it

From my understanding, part time work/research is feasible the first semester as it is typically the lightest work load, but still highly discouraged.

I too am pending a decision from the admissions dept. I applied to the pre-professional program on campus, not online. My application was marked as complete early to mid June. We shall see...

Did you get the notification that your application was complete via e-mail, or did you have to login to the "graduate admissions status" page?

Did you get the notification that your application was complete via e-mail, or did you have to login to the "graduate admissions status" page?

I got the email.

The email said the graduate admissions status would only update after a decision had been made and emails have been sent to students.

I got the email.

The email said the graduate admissions status would only update after a decision had been made and emails have been sent to students.

Thank you for the info! I hope you get in :)

I received an email stating my application was recommended for admission. Is this an acceptance?

I received an email stating my application was recommended for admission. Is this an acceptance?

essentially. but not complete admission yet. there's two committee's that see your application. the email signifies that the first committee (the one that holds the most weight) thinks you would be a good candidate. and the second committee goes and checks everything is valid and confirms acceptance or something. it should take like a week.

Hey guys, was accepted a few days ago. If anyone's looking for a place near campus, let me know!

Does anyone know if rejection emails are sent out? I'm not trying to be overly optimistic here, but we're getting down to the wire and I'm more anxious each day.

Hey guys,

USF MSP3 alumni here and current M1 at FSU College of Medicine. After perusing this thread a little, I figured I would provide answers to some of the questions I've seen so far.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message I'm more than happy to help. Also, once you guys start there is a facebook group called "MSP3 Alumni Network"...it's purpose to connect current students with alumni across the country to answer all you application and school related questions.

Who this program is for: Applicants who are in need of GPA repair from undergrad or need to prove themselves academically.
  • If you have a 3.7+ GPA and only lack a good MCAT score or EC's etc. this is NOT for you.
Can you work during this program?
  • I wouldn't, but anything is possible I suppose.
Will this program increase your odds of gaining acceptance to professional school?
  • If you do well, yes. If you do poorly, then no. The application process is 90% your effort, 10% luck. You could have great stats and poor EC's or write bad essays and not get any acceptances or you can have mediocre stats with good essays & EC's and be more competitive than 50% of the application pool. One thing is for sure, just having grad work on your resume isn't going to magically get you an acceptance anywhere. You have to put in the work and make sure you have the best application you possibly can.
Will this increase your chance of getting into USF-COM?
  • Honestly, No. I know very few people out of my class who matriculated into USF-COM. However, there is a high percentage of MSP3 graduates in professional schools all over the country. For whatever reason, USF doesn't pull from this program very much. I know a current M1 at USF who did this program and went through 2 app cycles and 2 interviews at USF before getting accepted.
Lastly, Here is a list of schools that I personally know MSP3 alumni are currently at:

- FSU College of Medicine (MSP3 highly represented here..at least 10-15 students in between M1 & M2 class)
- USF College of Medicine
- UCF College of Medicine
- Univ. of Miami
- SUNY Downstate
- New York Medical College
- Creighton SOM
- LECOM-B
- NOVA
- PCOM-GA
- Alabama Coll. of Osteopathic Med.
- Kansas City University (KCUMB)
- Campbell University College of Osteopathic Med.
- Lincoln-Memorial Debusk Coll of Osteopathic Med.
- Univ. of Pikeville - Kentucky Coll. of Osteopathic Med. (UP-KYCOM)
- VCOM-Auburn
- Liberty University School of Osteopathic Med.
- Tulane
- Tufts Dental

Hey guys,

USF MSP3 alumni here and current M1 at FSU College of Medicine. After perusing this thread a little, I figured I would provide answers to some of the questions I've seen so far.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message I'm more than happy to help. Also, once you guys start there is a facebook group called "MSP3 Alumni Network"...it's purpose to connect current students with alumni across the country to answer all you application and school related questions.

Who this program is for: Applicants who are in need of GPA repair from undergrad or need to prove themselves academically.
  • If you have a 3.7+ GPA and only lack a good MCAT score or EC's etc. this is NOT for you.
Will this program increase your odds of gaining acceptance to professional school?
  • If you do well, yes. If you do poorly, then no. The application process is 90% your effort, 10% luck. You could have great stats and poor EC's or write bad essays and not get any acceptances or you can have mediocre stats with good essays & EC's and be more competitive than 50% of the application pool. One thing is for sure, just having grad work on your resume isn't going to magically get you an acceptance anywhere. You have to put in the work and make sure you have the best application you possibly can.
  • Honestly, No. I know very few people out of my class who matriculated into USF-COM. However, there is a high percentage of MSP3 graduates in professional schools all over the country. For whatever reason, USF doesn't pull from this program very much. I know a current M1 at USF who did this program and went through 2 app cycles and 2 interviews at USF before getting accepted.
Lastly, Here is a list of schools that I personally know MSP3 alumni are currently at:

- FSU College of Medicine (MSP3 highly represented here..at least 10-15 students in between M1 & M2 class)
- Univ. of Miami
- SUNY Downstate
- Creighton SOM
- LECOM-B
- NOVA
- PCOM-GA
- VCOM-Auburn
- Tulane
- Tufts Dental

Hello Dr. Janitor. I have the same question CMRD had, which was do you know if they send out rejection letters, or should we just assume come August we didn't get in? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what they do now but I think when I applied they sent out emails. However, communication with the program was horrible when I applied. Emails and phone calls went unanswered quite often before I got in.

Hey guys,

- Univ. of Miami
- SUNY Downstate
- Creighton SOM
- LECOM-B
- NOVA
- PCOM-GA
- VCOM-Auburn
- Tulane
- Tufts Dental

do you think this program would help with an application to an MD school in the following year?
For example if I submit my AMCAS now and only select FL MD schools like FAU, FIU, UCF, FSU and update with excellent december grades, it would give me a shot with a 508 MCAT?

do you think this program would help with an application to an MD school in the following year?
For example if I submit my AMCAS now and only select FL MD schools like FAU, FIU, UCF, FSU and update with excellent december grades, it would give me a shot with a 508 MCAT?

As in you're applying this cycle currently before even starting the program? Maybe, there were quite a few people in my MSP3 class that left USF early because they got into schools in the fall/spring during the program. I'm not quite sure what a 508 corresponds to, I'm guessing its ~28+? If so, that should be fine but it depends on more than just your MCAT score. I mean, you're doing this program for a reason, right? If you have a decent undergrad gpa, good EC's, and good essays then I don't know why you'd do a masters rather than just apply. That is if this is your first time applying. This program is designed to prove academic competency and ability to handle a rigorous curriculum. It is mostly beneficial to folks with <3.5 undergrad gpa's.

As in you're applying this cycle currently before even starting the program? Maybe, there were quite a few people in my MSP3 class that left USF early because they got into schools in the fall/spring during the program. I'm not quite sure what a 508 corresponds to, I'm guessing its ~28+? If so, that should be fine but it depends on more than just your MCAT score. I mean, you're doing this program for a reason, right? If you have a decent undergrad gpa, good EC's, and good essays then I don't know why you'd do a masters rather than just apply. That is if this is your first time applying. This program is designed to prove academic competency and ability to handle a rigorous curriculum. It is mostly beneficial to folks with <3.5 undergrad gpa's.
okay thank you. and where do people live because it's expensive as hell out there

okay thank you. and where do people live because it's expensive as hell out there

I lived in Arbor Walk across the street from Busch Gardens. Some students lived across from FL Hospital and there's some places between Busch Gardens and USF. I'd say check online at zillow.com, apartments.com, hotpads.com ect.