USF Vs. UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate to be accepted to medical schools this year, and I feel very privileged to choose between these schools. But choosing one among these two has been difficult. While I wished to attend their second looks, I am currently working in another state and unfortunately the money I make barely covers housing, food and gas.

Would you be willing to help me to choose one among these two? Pardon me if I am incorrect about anything I wrote below. I wish that I could attend second looks but I really cannot afford them.

University of South Florida
Pros
1. Ranked in U.S News
2. 40 years of history
3. Research Opportunities at Moffitt Cancer Research Institute (nationally recognized institute)
4. Close to the main campus so there is access to gym, cafeterias, and multiple libraries
5. has nearly all departments and residency programs
6. Interprofessional setting? (nurses, physical therapy, pharmacy share the med campus)

Cons
1. a med student at UCF who did SMP at USF did not like her professors

University of Central Florida
Pros
1. Enthusiastic students and charismatic, driven faculty members
2. new, clean facility with latest technologies
3. Research required, so mentors are more supportive?
4. $8000 cheaper per year so roughly $32,000 cheaper during four years

Cons
1. far away from the main campus

Neutral
1. USF uses Pass and Fail system and there is no ranking while UCF has grades. but my friend told me that preclinical grades don't mean anything unless one wants AOA.

Members don't see this ad.

I am very fortunate to be accepted to medical schools this year, and I feel very privileged to choose between these schools. But choosing one among these two has been difficult. While I wished to attend their second looks, I am currently working in another state and unfortunately the money I make barely covers housing, food and gas.

Would you be willing to help me to choose one among these two? Pardon me if I am incorrect about anything I wrote below. I wish that I could attend second looks but I really cannot afford them.

Pros
1. Ranked in U.S News
2. 40 years of history
3. Research Opportunities at Moffitt Cancer Research Institute (nationally recognized institute)
4. Close to the main campus so there is access to gym, cafeterias, and multiple libraries
5. has nearly all departments and residency programs
6. Interprofessional setting? (nurses, physical therapy, pharmacy share the med campus)

Cons
1. a med student at UCF who did SMP at USF did not like her professors

Pros
1. Enthusiastic students and charismatic, driven faculty members
2. new, clean facility with latest technologies
3. Research required, so mentors are more supportive?
4. $8000 cheaper per year so roughly $32,000 cheaper during four years

Cons

Neutral
1. USF uses Pass and Fail system and there is no ranking while UCF has grades. but my friend told me that preclinical grades don't mean anything unless one wants AOA.

I have bolded the important parts of your decision.

All that being said, the fact that USF is P/F saves you an insane amount of headache in the first 2 years of medical school. If you can ensure that USF doesn't have required attendance, take the USF acceptance and run. Even if USF has required lecture attendance in pre-clinical years, I'd still take it over UCF's medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
fixed it for you, go to usf

Pros
2. 40 years of history [connections and letters of rec]
3. has nearly all departments and residency programs
5. Research Opportunities at Moffitt Cancer Research Institute (nationally recognized institute) [this is okay]
6. Ranked in U.S. News

Neutral
1. Interprofessional setting? (nurses, physical therapy, pharmacy share the med campus)
2. a med student at UCF who did SMP at USF did not like her professors

Pros
1. $8000 cheaper per year so roughly $32,000 cheaper during four years
2. Enthusiastic students and charismatic, driven faculty members [not necessarily what your classmates will be like although school culture is important. you don't know how good your faculty are at teaching until you're in class]
3. new, clean facility with latest technologies [always nice]

Neutral
1. Research required, so mentors are more supportive?

Cons

Members don't see this ad :)
I have bolded the important parts of your decision.

All that being said, the fact that USF is P/F saves you an insane amount of headache in the first 2 years of medical school. If you can ensure that USF doesn't have required attendance, take the USF acceptance and run. Even if USF has required lecture attendance in pre-clinical years, I'd still take it over UCF's medical school.

It does have some required attendance with a student card swipe-in. Some of my less scrupulous classmates have taken to giving their card to other students to swipe or just swipe and leave. All the lectures are recorded and laboratories as well. Labs are mandatory as well. I'm happy here, but I wouldn't put the access to campus as that much of a plus, at least for lunch or during the day purposes. The food situation is limited as most of the UG campus food options are a good hike away. Thankfully the administration, which is very responsive to our concerns, and have gotten a couple food trucks to come everyday. They are an eclectic mix with yummy diverse options (although not particularly cheap). They rotate every day and week so you can hit a bunch over time. Kinda addictive for me, I have to limit myself to one per week lol.

USF is also close to the rest of Tampa if that matters to you. Some of my classmates and I have gone to Lightning games and now the Rays. Lots of folks go to Busch Gardens (they have a pretty sweet student ticket deal). And of course the beach is always an option during most of the year.

I wouldn't compare all the profs during the master's program to our current ones (there is some overlap, but not completely). Some lecturers are great and a joy to learn from, some are just ones you speed through and study more independently.

Anyway, my admitedly biased opinion is for USF.

USF is also close to the rest of Tampa if that matters to you. Some of my classmates and I have gone to Lightning games and now the Rays. Lots of folks go to Busch Gardens (they have a pretty sweet student ticket deal). And of course the beach is always an option during most of the year.

These are terrible reasons to go to Tampa. Tampa sucks. Barely anyone likes the rays or lightning except people forced to love their home team. Busch Gardens gets old after first 2 times. The beaches in Tampa, you don't swim in because they are nasty.

These are literally the only selling points to Tampa and they suck. Orlando is 1000x better if you want a social life, but USF school is better.

These are terrible reasons to go to Tampa. Tampa sucks. Barely anyone likes the rays or lightning except people forced to love their home team. Busch Gardens gets old after first 2 times. The beaches in Tampa, you don't swim in because they are nasty.

These are literally the only selling points to Tampa and they suck. Orlando is 1000x better if you want a social life, but USF school is better.

I am not from Tampa. I still enjoy going to the games.

Clearwater is 40 min away and is consistently voted one of the best beaches in America.

32k cheaper before interest is nothing to scoff at. P/F is pretty sweet though and I think both rank lists are pretty comparable and the schools kind of are as well (with USF being better). I mean honestly, USF isn't top 40 or anything and the rankings become mute when its only 78.

However, UCF is a relatively new school but they had a good match list this year. USF is an older school and well regarded. As someone who has no hat in this race (both promptly rejected me haha), I would say go to second look and see which school makes you feel most comfortable. Also, last I heard, USF is no longer is true P/F and you need a certain percentage (I think 90%?) in all your classes to get honors. I'm more of a guy that believes in cheaper = better, but both schools are great schools.

Currently at UCF for UG…. If you're looking for the technological revolution of health care, UCF. If you're simply more interested in matching decently and having a traditional med school education, USF.

Both are lovely schools.

32k cheaper before interest is nothing to scoff at. P/F is pretty sweet though and I think both rank lists are pretty comparable and the schools kind of are as well (with USF being better). I mean honestly, USF isn't top 40 or anything and the rankings become mute when its only 78.

However, UCF is a relatively new school but they had a good match list this year. USF is an older school and well regarded. As someone who has no hat in this race (both promptly rejected me haha), I would say go to second look and see which school makes you feel most comfortable. Also, last I heard, USF is no longer is true P/F and you need a certain percentage (I think 90%?) in all your classes to get honors. I'm more of a guy that believes in cheaper = better, but both schools are great schools.

USF is still pure P/F from what I saw after my interview day. I believe you are alluding to the "honors with distinction" section in your Dean's letter (which you only get if you have an ~87% or higher on ALL core modules).

To the OP, several medical students have advised me that even though preclinical grades matter less than other factors, having a true P/F system in place does wonders on stress and class camaraderie. I agree with the others who have posted in this thread and would take USF over UCF despite the price. Orlando is a great city no doubt, and UCF's interview day impressed me greatly (both the people and their vision). However, USF has no shortage of innovation going on as shown in their Business/Innovation scholarly concentration, CAMLS, and the Stephen Klasko Institute. I think I read somewhere that USF is a national leader in the amount of biomedical patents filed each year. And with new leadership coming along (Charles Lockwood), the future of the school seems very bright indeed. I am facing the same decision as you, but you honestly can't go wrong with either school. Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)

Lmao this has to be a joke. Either that or you have some bias against the city Tampa.

USF is still pure P/F from what I saw after my interview day. I believe you are alluding to the "honors with distinction" section in your Dean's letter (which you only get if you have an ~87% or higher on ALL core modules).

To the OP, several medical students have advised me that even though preclinical grades matter less than other factors, having a true P/F system in place does wonders on stress and class camaraderie. I agree with the others who have posted in this thread and would take USF over UCF despite the price. Orlando is a great city no doubt, and UCF's interview day impressed me greatly (both the people and their vision). However, USF has no shortage of innovation going on as shown in their Business/Innovation scholarly concentration, CAMLS, and the Stephen Klasko Institute. I think I read somewhere that USF is a national leader in the amount of biomedical patents filed each year. And with new leadership coming along (Charles Lockwood), the future of the school seems very bright indeed. I am facing the same decision as you, but you honestly can't go wrong with either school. Good luck with your decision!

Pure P/F is by definition when your deans letter and transcript only shows a P or F for pre clinical grades. There are no honors, distinctions, or special phrases with implied meaning (excellent/outstanding/superior student) in your dean's letter. An "honors with distinction" is the same thing as honors.

No matter what the school admin says, they still have H/P/F grades.

Pure P/F is by definition when your deans letter and transcript only shows a P or F for pre clinical grades. There are no honors, distinctions, or special phrases with implied meaning (excellent/outstanding/superior student) in your dean's letter. An "honors with distinction" is the same thing as honors.

No matter what the school admin says, they still have H/P/F grades.

Thanks for clearing up the misconception. I guess the reasoning behind some of the school administrators is that you can't get an Honors in only one single course (which traditional H/P/F programs allow). Its either you honor your entire basic science coursework, or just have pass/fail (with no hidden rank whatsoever). I think having the distinction in the Dean's letter allows the school to not rank the rest of the students by position or quartile, hence closely mimicking a pure P/F. It rewards students who excel in every course, but eliminates the stress of honoring individual courses if a student has only received a pass in a prior course. But I now agree with you, its more of a P/F* system.

Thanks for clearing up the misconception. I guess the reasoning behind some of the school administrators is that you can't get an Honors in only one single course (which traditional H/P/F programs allow). Its either you honor your entire basic science coursework, or just have pass/fail (with no hidden rank whatsoever). I think having the distinction in the Dean's letter allows the school to not rank the rest of the students by position or quartile, hence closely mimicking a pure P/F. It rewards students who excel in every course, but eliminates the stress of honoring individual courses if a student has only received a pass in a prior course. But I now agree with you, its more of a P/F* system.

Agreed. While not true P/F, it's still better than straight H/P/F in every course.

Do you like Disney or Busch gardens? , JK. Interviewed at both & UCF blew me away, very put together interview day experience. You def will have more study room, since the whole building is just for med students and USF's seemed crowded with the pharm students ( thats the only thing I disliked about USF, potential lack of study space.) The faculty is def invested in you, plus the research on your resume will give you something to talk about in residency interviews. When I talked to students at UCF, the grading system seemed to be a non issue.. BTW UCF is giving scholarships ( albeit they might be small) to everyone so COA may even be cheaper than what you estimate, and Dean German is the only Dean that moved me in her presentation out of all the schools I went to. I liked USF's curriculum a bit better ( liked the scholarly concentrations aspect, community involvement), P/F curriculum makes a difference in terms of stress, there are plenty of research opportunities its just not required, very integrated with inter professions ( they even have group test examinations), has many residency programs..... You can't go wrong, I have friends at both and they both love their experiences there.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and USF gives out tons of scholarships too, hold on to your acceptances till the end of this month. Award packages go out mid-april. With all that being said, go where you will be most comfortable. My decision was also really hard for me and that's what I used to help me decide.... PS: USF will have a new Dean next year .

Last edited:
UCF has traditional curriculum? Really? How so?

I scratched my head at that comment too. UCF was one of first interviews in the early fall and USF was my last- not too long ago (of many schools including OOS schools), and my impression from my UCF interview day was so high I can still remember details from the day and curriculum that I can't recall in many of the other interviews. Can't think of a neg for UCF, I, myself, am waiting for the opportunity to get off their wait list.

Of course UCF is not "ranked" in the bogus rankings of USNWR because it hasnt been around long enuf. It is about vision, challenge, community, teamwork, and leadership. UCF's outcomes in STEP 2 (mid 240's both years) and first two years of residency match are very strong (90 for 90 match; only 4 SOAP; 5 for 5 in Urology/Ophthal) and many of them are top programs in the country. The recently released MSAR shows UCF continuing to rise and are now equal to UF & UM; maybe arguably the top program in the state if you collectively consider SGPA, OGPA, MCAT, Med Vol, Comm Svc, Rsrch, and cost; USF's numbers have been sliding. Collaboration is the mode at UCF, ABCF grading helps one strive for excellence....and it's not on a bell curve so you get the grade you want - removing the opportunity for competitiveness; no class rank. When conceived UCF wrestled on grading system and studied US med school grading systems. There are 5, and each are split about equally whereby 20% of the med schools are in each. That infers that there is no best preferred grading system. There is very little written evidence that a strict P/F reduces competition, but the perception is there. Residencies do look at all grades, though yes, the third year is most heavily counted. Residencies do want to see grades and even STEP 2 scores more and more.

We can compare stats all day long and perceive them to mean what we want. Bottom line, our state does not yet have a top 25% nor a bottom 25% MD program, all are solid, you do your part and you will usually get to the destination that you desire if you do the work. UCF's students must have the energy and desire to build and create, do med school and research that helps achieve top residencies in a curriculum that is far different in the first two years than any program in the state (the above says this is paying off). Go where you are comfortable; you interviewed at both places; you probably know where you belong; carefully consider, and take the plunge. You will make someone on a wait list very happy.

Reactions: 2 users
Of course UCF is not "ranked" in the bogus rankings of USNWR because it hasnt been around long enuf. It is about vision, challenge, community, teamwork, and leadership. UCF's outcomes in STEP 2 (mid 240's both years) and first two years of residency match are very strong (90 for 90 match; only 4 SOAP; 5 for 5 in Urology/Ophthal) and many of them are top programs in the country. The recently released MSAR shows UCF continuing to rise and are now equal to UF & UM; maybe arguably the top program in the state if you collectively consider SGPA, OGPA, MCAT, Med Vol, Comm Svc, Rsrch, and cost; USF's numbers have been sliding. Collaboration is the mode at UCF, ABCF grading helps one strive for excellence....and it's not on a bell curve so you get the grade you want - removing the opportunity for competitiveness; no class rank. When conceived UCF wrestled on grading system and studied US med school grading systems. There are 5, and each are split about equally whereby 20% of the med schools are in each. That infers that there is no best preferred grading system. There is very little written evidence that a strict P/F reduces competition, but the perception is there. Residencies do look at all grades, though yes, the third year is most heavily counted. Residencies do want to see grades and even STEP 2 scores more and more.

We can compare stats all day long and perceive them to mean what we want. Bottom line, our state does not yet have a top 25% nor a bottom 25% MD program, all are solid, you do your part and you will usually get to the destination that you desire if you do the work. UCF's students must have the energy and desire to build and create, do med school and research that helps achieve top residencies in a curriculum that is far different in the first two years than any program in the state (the above says this is paying off). Go where you are comfortable; you interviewed at both places; you probably know where you belong; carefully consider, and take the plunge. You will make someone on a wait list very happy.

One other topic you didn't include in your list: Usf recently changed curriculum to be "greater than 50%" pbl and ucf is a more traditional curriculum

If by problem based learning you mean small groups with clinical cases and learning issues, I would not describe that as anywhere near 50%. We have small group sessions with clinical cases review for about three hours a week for like 6-7 weeks and those cases are not part of our exam material (although there is of course some overlap with material we've learned before). Most of the time it's standard lectures or engaged learning, which is supposed to be more interactive, but it depends on the professor how much this is the case. USF is a systems based approach so we have one course per block on the system which has lectures on all the disciplines that would have been traditionally covered in biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc.

Hey ...I know u guys are discussing about the school of medicine ...do anyone of you happen to know about the MHA program (Master's in health administration ) at USF ??