Using board review books to study clinical EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im a new intern and I want to start studying EM outside of work but the idea of reading Rosen's is kinda revolting to me.

I know board review books like N aderi and First Aid arent meant to be to be used to learn clinical medicine but I was hoping to use board review books along with podcasts to learn. I figure they will cover what I need to know to learn as a resident while also providing prep for my inservice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this strategy?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your reply!

I actually own the Rivers book. It is massive! Any reason why it is so much bigger than First Aid or Naderi?

Thanks for your reply!

I actually own the Rivers book. It is massive! Any reason why it is so much bigger than First Aid or Naderi?

It has a lot more information and detail...I feel like I actually learn when reading Rivers (i.e. drug dosages, particulars about management, differential, etc). With FA I feel like the majority of the stuff I already know. Rivers will give you multiple ways to manage problems, break down pathophysiology, differentials and all that other good jazz. Its a lot but easy to read. It should be a lot better of a reference or study guide than first aid or trying to read Rosen/Tintinalli