Using interfolio for LoRs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdoc9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be using interfolio for LoRs and it says that the authors are supposed to add the AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in their Interfolio account. I know I'm supposed to assign the IDs to each letter once I receive it when I create a new delivery. Where would my letter writers add the IDs in their account though in case I have to explain it to them? (One of my profs is using interfolio for the first time).

Members don't see this ad.

The AAMC handbook explains this really well. Check that out. I used Interfolio and found it fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure what it says is that you have to enter your AMCAS id when you have Interfolio send your letters to AMCAS. The letter-writer doesn't have to worry about the AMCAS id. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please)

Go into your Interfolio account and "request a recommendation." Follow the instructions for either email or a physical cover sheet to be mailed in (or both). Your prof will get the necessary instructions to get their letter in.

For most of mine I provided the upload link as well as a physical cover sheet with a stamped addressed envelope. I think my letter writers appreciated that, and most opted to just mail the letter in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be using interfolio for LoRs and it says that the authors are supposed to add the AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in their Interfolio account. I know I'm supposed to assign the IDs to each letter once I receive it when I create a new delivery. Where would my letter writers add the IDs in their account though in case I have to explain it to them? (One of my profs is using interfolio for the first time).

I'm pretty sure what it says is that you have to enter your AMCAS id when you have Interfolio send your letters to AMCAS. The letter-writer doesn't have to worry about the AMCAS id. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please)

Go into your Interfolio account and "request a recommendation." Follow the instructions for either email or a physical cover sheet to be mailed in (or both). Your prof will get the necessary instructions to get their letter in.

For most of mine I provided the upload link as well as a physical cover sheet with a stamped addressed envelope. I think my letter writers appreciated that, and most opted to just mail the letter in.
The link jared_the_great posted is much more clear than the AMCAS Instruction Manual, which very confusingly says, as the OP said:
  • Interfolio: AMCAS can receive letters sent to Interfolio if you are an Interfolio user or your institution uses Interfolio to deliver letters of evaluation. Authors should add the appropriate AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in their Interfolio account, as these IDs must accompany your letter in order for your letter to be matched with your application. Specific instructions are provided below.
And that makes no sense given the way Interfolio works. In any case, I called AMCAS recently to ask about this and jared_the_great is correct, your letter authors themselves need not include any ID's with their letter, you (the applicant) will enter them when designating the letters for delivery to AMCAS through your own Interfolio account.
The AAMC handbook explains this really well. Check that out. I used Interfolio and found it fantastic.
Ironically that's precisely the worst place to look for an explanation lol

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, I was confused when it said in the manual that authors should add IDs. Thanks for clarifying!

gor for the five year interfolio deal instead of just one. interfolio is so useful.

How early do you guys ask for the LOR? Like, right after that semester so that the prof has you fresh in their mind? How early before applications is okay?