Using med school LORs for podiatry schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danube

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to MD/DO med schools last year and did not get accepted. Since last year, I've re-considered my career goals, and found that I would actually enjoy being a DPM more than an MD/DO. So next spring (2015) I plan to get an early start applying to podiatry schools.

I understand that most pod schools want to see a letter from a DPM. In addition, I plan to ask for a letter from a supervisor at a place I volunteer, so altogether with the podiatrist's LOR I would have 2 new letters. That doesn't seem enough, so the question is... can I "reuse" my university's committee letter and/or my college professors' letters (all geared towards med school)?..

If YES: my LORs have been submitted through VirtualEvals -- are they still stored there? Could I request that they be sent to podiatry schools of my choice, easy as that? Is it acceptable to have the same date on the letters, or should I ask each professor to replace it with the current date?

It's been a year since I graduated, so it's not like the profs can add anything else about my character or work ethic; also, my core reasons for wanting a career in healthcare remain unchanged, even if the some of the finer details have evolved since graduation.

I just want to get a grasp of how acceptable it is to use older LORs, and ones originally meant for medical schools. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Using the old LORs is acceptable since they are still fairly recent, though your undergraduate school may want to update the committee packet before releasing it again. Ideally, you should also obtain a newer LOR from a D.P.M. to include with your application.

You can certainly use the same people and maybe the same exact LORs, BUT you should try to contact the people that wrote the LORs and see if they can make sure they don't have the words "DO" "MD" "Allopathic" or "Osteopathic." It would be best to make sure it doesn't sound like you are attempting to apply to a DO school.

The last thing you want is the admissions committee read your LORs and each of them sounds like they were written by a professor that was under the impression you were applying to a Do or MD school.

My next question is that you say "So next spring (2015) I plan to get an early start applying to podiatry schools,' but you graduated last year. You said you applied to DO and MD schools but got rejected, so that means you had to have taken the MCAT. Why not start shadowing for the next couple months, get a podiatrists LOR after some experience at an off, then apply to Pod schools in September or October? Why are you planning on waiting till the Spring of 2015 to apply when there could be just 20% or less available?

Members don't see this ad :)
It really bothers me that Podiatry is a back up for people.

Some applicants see it as a backup. Others as their only chance which they then recharacterize as their 1st choice. Control the things you can control and move on.

it's more I hate how it's perceived purely as a back up for many many applicants.
It can be frustrating to think about when starting out if it's not your "back up," but I think you'll find it ends up not being that big of a deal. In some ways you could see the less competitive nature as a good thing. For example, podiatry can be a means for someone who may not be as well-disposed toward large standardized tests like the MCAT, but did well during the undergraduate years and would still make a good doctor, to practice medicine and have a good life, rather than being relegated to another field that would be less satisfying.