Using old LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1WannaGet1n

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of my letters from August 2013 would be alright to use right now?

Members don't see this ad.

That's <1 year, and shouldn't be considered "old!" Not sure how y'all do it, but I asked my professors to write me a letter after I took their class if we bonded/I did well. 2 of my science professors wrote me LORs last summer, so I'm submitting 2 that are June/July 2013 as well!

Although new letters are ideal, it should be fine. I used year old letters as well when I applied.

I take you were successful in the application cycle with older letters? Thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's <1 year, and shouldn't be considered "old!" Not sure how y'all do it, but I asked my professors to write me a letter after I took their class if we bonded/I did well. 2 of my science professors wrote me LORs last summer, so I'm submitting 2 that are June/July 2013 as well!
well I used these letters last year too (reapplying)

3/4 of my LORs were from 2012 for my eventually a successful 2013-2014 cycle!

Accepted! Class of 2018!!! Go Bruins!

What the heck... How do they know they're old letters? Why would it matter?

well I used these letters last year too (reapplying)

Old as in "used" letters.

If I were you I'd probably try to get 1 or 2 more to further augment your application. You've probably strengthened your application as a whole from last year, and it wouldn't really hurt to add 1 or 2 people who you got to know this year. I wouldn't stress out about it too much though, as long as you are satisfied with the improvements you've made with the rest of the application! Best of luck!

Old as in "used" letters.

If I were you I'd probably try to get 1 or 2 more to further augment your application. You've probably strengthened your application as a whole from last year, and it wouldn't really hurt to add 1 or 2 people who you got to know this year. I wouldn't stress out about it too much though, as long as you are satisfied with the improvements you've made with the rest of the application! Best of luck!

That's exactly what I was planning on doing for this year.

Reactions: 1 user