Using OLD LORs - Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a dilemma:

So....I told my new LOR writers to please write me a GENERAL LOR, and not to specify a specialty on the LOR.....And what they go and do? They give me strong LORs, BUT they still mentioned a specific specliaty on them (a specilaty that they know that I am interested in). But I am not ONLY applying to that specialty. I am also applying to back-up specialties too.

-Obviously, I cannot use the recent LORs for any other specilties, right?

But I have OLD LORs (from 2011), that are general and non-specific. I was thinking about using those to apply for the back-up specialties. Is it OK to youe those old LORs from 2011?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's not great, but what other options do you have?

Plus, how do you know what's actually in your LOR's? Didn't you waive your rights to them, and have the LOR wroters upload them?

It's not great, but what other options do you have?

Plus, how do you know what's actually in your LOR's? Didn't you waive your rights to them, and have the LOR wroters upload them?

Thank you aProgDirector. When entering the LOR info on ERAS, I indicated that I want to use the LORs for "ALL Specialties". When my letter writers uploaded their letters, my "Deans Office" reviewed the LORs, and sent me a "Courtesy Notice" e-mail indicating that the LORs are geared towards a single specific specialty, and that I should keep that in mind when assigning those LORs (since I had indicated that I wanted to use the LORs for "All Specialties"). That was very nice of them. Otherwise I would have assigned those LORs to all my back-up specialties....which would be a waste of time and money since those back-up programs would quickly put my application in the trash once they read those LORs that are geared to other specialties.