Using Onlinemeded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Started 3rd yr and trying to see how most people use the videos. They are organized by subjects. So, is there a resource out there that aligns the videos with each rotation? I want to know what exactly I should watch with each rotation. I'm on FM right now.

Or, do most people watch the videos as the topics come up in rotations or while preparing for shelf exams through qbanks?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Watch whatever topics are relevant to that rotation. I used the videos in place of reading reviews books. There's a lot of crossover in the videos (peds questions aren't just for peds shelf, cardio questions aren't just for IM shelf, etc) which might seem frustrating but you'll understand why once you take a few shelf exams - with few exceptions, there's a ton of overlap between rotations and their corresponding exams.

Reactions: 1 users
It offers a good outline but frankly, it's not enough. There are also some inaccuracies for the sake of quick easy explanation. Doesn't replace casefiles/blueprints or something along those lines.

It offers a good outline but frankly, it's not enough. There are also some inaccuracies for the sake of quick easy explanation. Doesn't replace casefiles/blueprints or something along those lines.

Not sure when you've used it last , but 80% of the material have been updated in the past 6 months .. I think OB/Peds are getting the refresh by end of this months . All of IM , OBGYN and surgery are updated . Dr Dustin and that site saved my AZZZZ during my prep for ck .

Members don't see this ad :)
There are inaccuracies in every review source.

true... let me clarify... There are errata in every review source. there are intentional inaccuracies for the sake of simplicity in OMEd.
Right but these are either a) clearly pointed out in the videos & rationale for doing so, or b) explained in detail in the response to comments when someone goes on a neurotic rant about something, or both.

So I guess it comes down to what you mean by "enough" when you said they aren't.

I used OME towards the end of third year (psych and OBGyn shelfs) and for step 2 prep. Really wish I would have used it sooner. In my opinion, it's the best thing out there for forming a scaffold for more detailed learning. Form the foundation with OME then use Uworld to fill in all the little details. Unfortunately, I don't have great advice regarding family medicine. Maybe watch some of the bread and butter IM sections (e.g. HTN, DM).

Personally, I bought a two month subscription and downloaded all the PDF notes and compiled them into one big PDF. For $30 I got the PDF printed out at Kinkos and took notes in that as I went through the videos. It is really fantastic stuff. It's not comprehensive detail wise, but it's extremely high yield and doable time wise for shelf and step 2 as a supplemental source.

If I could do it over, I would do OME throughout third year for each corresponding rotation along with a shelf specific book and uworld. I think it's most useful for the IM and Obgyn shelf. Peds and surgery topics are good too, but not quite as strong. The psych stuff is more for step 2 as it isn't near detailed enough for the shelf.

Reactions: 3 users
I know I may be biased here since gen surgery is my preferred specialty, but the surgery lectures are full of inaccuracies.

For surgery you are better off reviewing the relevant IMED material and reading Pestana, and doing UWORLD.

You could also read NMS for the best coverage. That book saved me during the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know I may be biased here since gen surgery is my preferred specialty, but the surgery lectures are full of inaccuracies.

For surgery you are better off reviewing the relevant IMED material and reading Pestana, and doing UWORLD.

You could also read NMS for the best coverage. That book saved me during the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I highly disagree with you , Surgery is one of his most updated sections , it's not even 2 month old and majority of his his notes actually fallow the Pastana's text book .

I highly disagree with you , Surgery is one of his most updated sections , it's not even 2 month old and majority of his his notes actually fallow the Pastana's text book .

I do admit, I have not looked up the most updated sections of OME surgery. If you are correct in that some are 2 months old, then the new content must be better than the stuff I watched. I began watching OME for surgery around July of last year.

I do admit, I have not looked up the most updated sections of OME surgery. If you are correct in that some are 2 months old, then the new content must be better than the stuff I watched. I began watching OME for surgery around July of last year.
Yes it's all been updated recently, everything with the exception of peds , psychic and Ob is new in the past 6 months. I was hoping his peds whould get a refresh before my exam since it's been my weakness.. so far he hasn't made the move .

Yes it's all been updated recently, everything with the exception of peds , psychic and Ob is new in the past 6 months. I was hoping his peds whould get a refresh before my exam since it's been my weakness.. so far he hasn't made the move .

Peds is everyone's weakness...lol. The shelf is brutal.

Hey guys,

Started 3rd yr and trying to see how most people use the videos. They are organized by subjects. So, is there a resource out there that aligns the videos with each rotation? I want to know what exactly I should watch with each rotation. I'm on FM right now.

Or, do most people watch the videos as the topics come up in rotations or while preparing for shelf exams through qbanks?

any updates on how onlinemeded has been working for you? If you took your shelf, how did it go? I'm just under 2 weeks away from my IM shelf, and wouldnt mind some feedback, because I've only done UW+Onlinemeded.

Started 3rd yr and trying to see how most people use the videos. They are organized by subjects. So, is there a resource out there that aligns the videos with each rotation?
Go to the onlinemeded page --> dashboard --> study schedules --> 1 year. This file will break the videos down into schedules for each rotation (you will have to adjust a bit if your rotation is shorter or longer than they anticipate, but this list of videos should be solid).

Edit to add: sorry just realized this post was a year old. You probably figured this out already, but hopefully the instructions help someone else out!

can someone send them to [email protected]. I could really use these

The videos are free on the internet.

Hey guys,

Pestana for surgery.