Using Step 2 CK resources to study for Shelf Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what experience people have had using Step 2 resources to study for their shelf exams: e.g., using Step 2 CK First Aid, USMLE Rx for Step 2, And UWorld as the primary means by which to study for these exams, or even as a supplement. How many people stick to primary texts like Case Files or Basic Review without dipping into Step 2 resources - and find that approach sufficient?

For example, I start my Pediatrics rotation soon. I have both BRS Pediatrics and Case Files, and I suspect that getting through both of those texts in their entirety will take up a decent amount of time, leaving the prospect of using other resources a little more pressured. Should I make a concerted effort to use FA Step 2 CK, UWorld, and USMLE Rx?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

For Peds and OB/Gyn I exclusively used Kaplan and MTB and Uworld. My percentiles were 75% and 91% respectively. The peds should was definitely tough but I think mainly because I hadn't studied for the medicine shelf first so there was a lot of gaps. I have my IM shelf tomorrow and all I did was study MTB and uworld, just took a NBME and I calculated it around 97th percentile, so I'm hoping that will come through tomorrow. I honestly think MTB and Uworld would be sufficient for most shelves.

For Peds and OB/Gyn I exclusively used Kaplan and MTB and Uworld. My percentiles were 75% and 91% respectively. The peds should was definitely tough but I think mainly because I hadn't studied for the medicine shelf first so there was a lot of gaps. I have my IM shelf tomorrow and all I did was study MTB and uworld, just took a NBME and I calculated it around 97th percentile, so I'm hoping that will come through tomorrow. I honestly think MTB and Uworld would be sufficient for most shelves.

Agree with the above. I used UWorld for every one. I did use Case Files instead of MTB for most, though. On one I only used question banks and read extremely little other than the question explanations. Ended up being my best score... :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I used UWorld for every shelf except family, I don't think Family is on UWorld, so I used pretest for that one.

Additional resources that I remember were BRS for peds and neuro, and MSKAP questions for IM. Case Files isn't really my style but a lot of people like that series.

Started off doing reading in conjunction with qbanks. My last shelf was just qbanks and uptodate and didnt see a fall off in my test score.

My last shelf was just qbanks and uptodate and didnt see a fall off in my test score.
1RD6oHN