Using Step 2CK UW for step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatup2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried/heard of someone using step 2ck UW in addition to step 3 UW for the step 3?
I have a couple months, so I thought I might as well be comprehensive... but I don't want to waste time if step 3 UW is vastly different from the step 2ck UW.

I know it seems like overkill, but just humor me! I have awful test anxiety with these exams and I like being as prepared as possible. I've also just finished medical school and haven't started residency yet, so that's another reason why I want to be thorough.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone tried/heard of someone using step 2ck UW in addition to step 3 UW for the step 3?
I have a couple months, so I thought I might as well be comprehensive... but I don't want to waste time if step 3 UW is vastly different from the step 2ck UW.

I know it seems like overkill, but just humor me! I have awful test anxiety with these exams and I like being as prepared as possible. I've also just finished medical school and haven't started residency yet, so that's another reason why I want to be thorough.

but seriously if you have months and nothing better to do I would go ahead and do it - step 3 is mostly about management step 2 is mostly about diagnosis/next step. I did step 1 pharm/path as well.

just make sure you cover UWORLD Step 3 and the CCS bank, +/- kaplan step3, MKSAP, etc. Your focus should be on those banks and not step 2 stuff

edit: I ended up spending about 2 weeks on UWORLD step 2 hoping it would be good for foundation material- I remembered quite a few questions to my surprise so not the entirely helpful.....I don't feel like I really learned anything - maybe a good refresher for OBGYN and some peds but not much else.

I think a better use of time could have been spent on weaker subjects in MKSAP16 questions (for me ICU/critical care, rheumatology) and UWORLD ABIM or ABFM or even another pass of kaplan step 3. I would recommend you spend your 1-2 weeks on the above resources I mentioned which would be more higher yield. BUt if you have many months to kill I guess 1-2 weeks lost wouldn't hurt.

Last edited: