USMC To MD Nontraditional Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mack1207

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning!

So a little bit about me, I have spent the last 10ish years in the Marine Corps... Pretty much the farthest away from any medical field possible. I have a wife and an infant and no college. I joined straight out of High School and never planned on going back school. If it is important, I am from Texas, currently stationed in Maine/New Hampshire and plan to go back to Texas for school.

I am now planning on going to school to be a MD and am basically starting fresh without the wisdom of any sort of career/school counsellor. I have been researching on the Google-Machine and have found a little less than nil for information as most Marines don't tend to leave the Corps to become doctors. Heck, the only ones that tend to do so from most branches seem to be coming from medical backgrounds or already had bachelors degrees.

I have been contemplating looking at some of the 7 year programs, but it is unlikely that I would be accepted as my HS grades were, less than enthusiastic (not an intelligence thing, just a will and effort thing). Do any of you have any thoughts, or advice for what I should be looking at doing? Anyone that I should be calling, talking to, better places to research?

Thank you in advance!
Mack

Members don't see this ad.

Good Morning!

So a little bit about me, I have spent the last 10ish years in the Marine Corps... Pretty much the farthest away from any medical field possible. I have a wife and an infant and no college. I joined straight out of High School and never planned on going back school. If it is important, I am from Texas, currently stationed in Maine/New Hampshire and plan to go back to Texas for school.

I am now planning on going to school to be a MD and am basically starting fresh without the wisdom of any sort of career/school counsellor. I have been researching on the Google-Machine and have found a little less than nil for information as most Marines don't tend to leave the Corps to become doctors. Heck, the only ones that tend to do so from most branches seem to be coming from medical backgrounds or already had bachelors degrees.

I have been contemplating looking at some of the 7 year programs, but it is unlikely that I would be accepted as my HS grades were, less than enthusiastic (not an intelligence thing, just a will and effort thing). Do any of you have any thoughts, or advice for what I should be looking at doing? Anyone that I should be calling, talking to, better places to research?

Thank you in advance!
Mack

Welcome to the forum Mack,

I would suggest a first semester or two at a Junior College or community college.
Just to get back in the swing of things. You know what I mean get your schedule down and your scholastic confidence about you. Then when you see fit transfer to a 4 year college. Being in Texas as I am sure you already know will provide you with a bit of leverage in the application pool. Your service for the country and experiences around the world would produce a more than favorable personal statement and possibly divulge on over into some interviews. You have an awesome opportunity here, since you are starting fresh and all. Make the grades keep your nose down on the grind stone, take advantage of your GI bills and or assistance where applicable. Do as much shadowing as possible to get your head wrapped around medicine while youre enjoying the journey.

Its a definite achievable goal if you're willing to put the effort in

Take care
Beau

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Beau! I appreciate you input and will look at some CC opportunities as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your home of record was Texas when you enlisted, and you return to Texas and become a resident again, you will be eligible for Hazelwood, which currently provides up to 150 hrs of tuition for free at any public university. The hitch is that you have to exhaust all your other federal benefits first. In an ideal world, you would use your GI bill for undergrad and your Hazelwood for Med School and then graduate with a substantially smaller debt load than most.

The only potential hiccup in that plan is the fact that a year ago a federal judge struck down the fixed point entry provision of Hazelwood as unconstitutional, so the legislature has been scrambling to do something to prepare for the increased costs associated with the ruling. They are considering reducing the hours and/or changing the residency requirements to needing to hold TX residency for X number of years before being eligible for Hazelwood (though I think that too wouldn't hold water constitutionally, for the same reason the fixed point entry provision was invalidated). Hopefully the legislature will come to their senses and simply remove the legacy provision so the actual service members (who should after all be first priority) can get their schooling. But, you should be aware of potential changes if you are planning to move to TX specifically to take advantage of Hazelwood.

I didn't know that ESOB! Luckily that's not my reason for moving home, I just miss home haha

I didn't know that ESOB! Luckily that's not my reason for moving home, I just miss home haha

Haha, well then hurry back, we miss u too :D Texas is actually a great state for med schools with such a vast number of public schools. Since those schools fill their ranks with 90% residents, it actually helps out TX residents a lot I think.

I am hoping that is going to work in my favor, I'm from Temple... Home of Baylor Scott and White, right down the road from Baylor/UT/A&M So one of those would be great, preferably A&M so that the Hazelwood Act will pay for Med School (It won't pay for Baylor Med)

Got out of the corps in 2008, contracted for awhile just finished undergrad and accepted to Texas MD program in the fall. Married with 2 kids, PM me with any questions, I'm happy to help.

Reactions: 2 users
2844/2841 - Radio tech from Los Angeles. I got into a DO school my first cycle pursuing Exercise Science. It was challenging to translate the USMC experience on the AACOMAS system, as well as making sure the personal statement was devoid of jargon and Marine-isms. I'm available for PM if you have questions.

Feel free to visit the Military forum. Lots more people who have been down the same path as you than you think.

Sorry for what may seem as a thread resurrection, but I got out of the Marine Corps in December and started at the community college in my area.
I hit school pretty hard. Spring, minimester, both summers and have been adjusting. I appreciate the help, I will look into the military forum and PM those of y'all that offered.
I figured I will just keep updating this as I go on so that people that are in my shoes also know that there is a chance.
As for the Student Veterans... yeah I joined and now run the chapter, so good call.

Reactions: 2 users
GL man, keep us posted