USMLE exams and MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the official USMLE website and came across a section for MD/PhD students. They have a pdf file on their website: <a href="http://www.usmle.org/news/md-phd.pdf" target="_blank">USMLE info specifically for MD/PhDs</a>

I didnt know this before, but apparently USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3 must be taken within 7 years of each other. According to the pdf, some states will grant exceptions to this, but some will not. It recommends that MD/PhD students take the USMLE step 1 after their grad years (before entering year 3 of med school).

Have any current MD/PhD students considered this? How do you find out which states will grant exceptions to the 7 year rule?

Members don't see this ad.

wow - step one after grad years sounds like a terrible idea would be tough. are there any other configurations of md/phd programs out there besides 2med-grad-2med? what about gradcourses-2med-thesiswork(2-3 years)-2med?

@ Dook it's 2 med(basic sci + core clerkships) - grad - 1 med. I think I remember them saying their MD/PhD students take boards 1 with the rest of the class after the 1st 2 yrs. It's a pretty awesome plan if you ask me. You get to be done with your core clerkships and boards 1 before you hit the lab. It puts everything in good perspective. Solid!

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking USMLE Step 1 after the graduate years does not make any sense to me. It is much better to take it after you have just finished studying the basic medical sciences of the first two years, when it is all fresh in your mind. As for Step 2, that should be taken after the 3rd (clinical) year of medical school.

This has been a contentious issue recently. The exact regulations vary from state to state. However, the seven year rule usually does not present a problem for most students. For those taking longer to graduate, exceptions are almost always made.

Hey All:

Some MD/PhD students in my med school opted to do 1.5 years of medical school, then graduate school, then the last 1/2 year of MSII before going into the clerkships.

While this worked great before (gave plenty of time to refresh/learn systems, pharm, etc), there were drawbacks.

Our curriculum has moved to PBL based, with integrated course. Unfortunately, those MD/PhD students who intermitted after 1.5 years were caught in the middle, and had to return to med school prematurely to get the "old curriculum" classes, else repeat the entire 2nd year (UGH!) -

In short, there are a few ways of doing it all, but I'd suggest you concentrate on the program first, and worry about liscensure later - There are always mitigating circumstances medical boards are willing to entertain...

Kind regards,

Airborne

Oops!

Sorry, forgot to mention that for those MD/PhD students, USMLE Step I was taken AFTER graduate school and the final 1/2 year of MS II, thus providing time to relearn the material and study for the boards (AND eliminating the dilemma of the seven year rule).

Airborne

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Hopkins2010:
•I was browsing the official USMLE website and came across a section for MD/PhD students. They have a pdf file on their website: <a href="http://www.usmle.org/news/md-phd.pdf" target="_blank">USMLE info specifically for MD/PhDs</a>

I didnt know this before, but apparently USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3 must be taken within 7 years of each other. According to the pdf, some states will grant exceptions to this, but some will not. It recommends that MD/PhD students take the USMLE step 1 after their grad years (before entering year 3 of med school).

Have any current MD/PhD students considered this? How do you find out which states will grant exceptions to the 7 year rule?•••••Scott-

You can find a list of the requirements for each state at <a href="http://www.fsmb.org/2002USMLE/2002part3.htm" target="_blank">http://www.fsmb.org/2002USMLE/2002part3.htm</a> Here is a summary:

No time limit: New York, California, Florida, Louisana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington

10-year time limit: Kansas, Iowa (MD/PhD only), Maryland (MD/PhD only)

Will grant exemptions to MD/PhDs: Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Texas, West Virginia

It looks like most states with big MSTP programs have different rules or exceptions for MD/PhD students. Maybe the folks at Yale, Duke, Emory, Case, Northwestern, etc. should push their state medical boards to change the policy vis a vis MD/PhD graduates.

Students have told me that 2 or 3 weeks of review is sufficient for passing Step 1, so I guess that you could do this just as well at the end of your PhD years as at end of 2nd year. Still, I think I would prefer to get it over sooner rather than later.

thanks for the link.

I'm ignorant on this issue, but exactly when do people take the Step 3?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Hopkins2010:
•thanks for the link.

I'm ignorant on this issue, but exactly when do people take the Step 3?•••••I'm nowhere near that stage, but my understanding is that Step 3 is usually taken at the end of the internship year. I've heard that the USMLE is implementing a clinical skills exam to be taken at the end of the 3rd year. It will cost $1,000 and be given at only 4 or 5 locations around the country. It involves interactions with model patients. Yet another hoop to jump through...

Each state has different requirements in regards to when Step 3 can be taken. In Iowa, Step 3 can only be taken after 6 months of internship. Most of my colleagues took Step 3 after the first year of internship. Some waited longer.

It's not that hard to meet the 7 year deadline as an MD-PhD student. I took Step 1 in 1995, Step 2 and 3 in 2002. I made the 7 year deadline just in time :).