USMLE IMG Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah ok, like a quick general clerking and then a focused exam on the area of interest.

Also, can I buy your CS book +/- Step 2 Secrets off you if you still have them? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm studying now for Step 2 CK, doing UWorld for it now. I think it's a lot more relevant to what I'm doing at the moment (studying for Finals!) and is a little easier, but not terribly so. Currently got a cumulative of 71% after 10 blocks. Also solicitating my first LoR and setting up my second sub-I in the spring. Got CS booked for May 7th too! :eek:

Any more status updates?

Ladies and Gents :) I'm back after a while.....so looks like all in all I got 34 invites (out of 115 apps :) I cancelled or declined quite a lot of them and decided to go to 18 interviews. Done with 14 and 4 more left to go!!! Interviews have been really chilled out and are usually simple conversations to make sure you are a normal, pleasant human being. This whole application process is such a crapshoot, I got rejected from places that I thought were my safeties (eg. Monmouth Medical Center in New Jersey) and invites from places beyond my wildest dreams (eg. Cleveland Clinic and Dartmouth). Now it's just a long, grueling wait till match day :) Best of luck with your journey, and as always feel free to ask me any questions about USMLEs, Electives, ERAS application, Interviews, Match etc. Happy Holidays!!

Members don't see this ad :)
well done killer t! have had similar experience - rejected/assumed rejection from all my 'safety' places and got interviews at harvard, yale, hopkins etc. it is partly because many mid-tier places are too insecure about their status to accept IMGs (they dont want to tarnish their image) have part 2 of step 3 tomorrow! i really cant be bothered now i just want to pass

Oh wow..those are some amazing places Splik!! Congrats!! What specialty have you applied for btw? Best of luck with your Step 3 tomorrow. Hope you end up matching at one of your top choices.

Honestly haven't got a clue about where I should aim for...

Honestly haven't got a clue about where I should aim for...

what specialty are you going for? Surgery your avatar would suggest or I would guess IM?

What you need to remember is there is some really excellent clinical training in the US, and there is also some terrible training. I assume you are coming here because you want the former and not because you have fallen in love with an American! In which case you must not apply anywhere where you would get worse training than in the UK (otherwise what's the point).

Given that all deaneries in the UK will make you rotate through one of the major teaching hospitals at some point you should thus limit yourself to university/tertiary hospitals in the US as that is where you will have the best clinical exposure to all sorts of different patients, diseases, and procedures. That should narrow things down for you.

The next thing is location. Think about where you would want to live. (I never thought about this until now). If you could not live there for 3+ years don't apply there! If you like the city, there is no point applying to Dartmouth etc. If you like outdoor sports etc then living in smaller areas may be okay. Also some places in the midwest may be a bit provincial, and as far as I'm concerned Texas is full of crazy people. You can't apply to california so that is out of the question. The further away you get from the coasts the less competitive places get. For example Cleveland Clinic and Mayo are top brand names with great training but aren't all that competitive because of the location.

IM has become really competitve this year as US students are eschewing radiology and other specialties that will not be as lucrative in the future with changes afoot. Even Harvard and UPenn students have been crying about not getting interviews.

You should aim for >250 or even 260 on step 2. If you are doing as well as you are on UW then 250 will be no problem for you. Make sure you impress at your electives and that they are at places you might want to work. Hopefully you did really well during medical school. Publications are important too. If you haven't got any get some - it isn't that hard to get a letter to the editor or case report. Review article is bit harder but doable, original research worth the most but harder. You probably should have 1 UK letter and 3 US letters and PM me closer to the time and I will tell you how to do your MSPE. I would arrange to teach some 3rd years - I have been asked about teaching at many of my interviews.

Basically step 2 and your elective evaluations and medical school ranking will affect where you should apply.

what specialty are you going for? Surgery your avatar would suggest or I would guess IM?

What you need to remember is there is some really excellent clinical training in the US, and there is also some terrible training. I assume you are coming here because you want the former and not because you have fallen in love with an American! In which case you must not apply anywhere where you would get worse training than in the UK (otherwise what's the point).

Given that all deaneries in the UK will make you rotate through one of the major teaching hospitals at some point you should thus limit yourself to university/tertiary hospitals in the US as that is where you will have the best clinical exposure to all sorts of different patients, diseases, and procedures. That should narrow things down for you.

The next thing is location. Think about where you would want to live. (I never thought about this until now). If you could not live there for 3+ years don't apply there! If you like the city, there is no point applying to Dartmouth etc. If you like outdoor sports etc then living in smaller areas may be okay. Also some places in the midwest may be a bit provincial, and as far as I'm concerned Texas is full of crazy people. You can't apply to california so that is out of the question. The further away you get from the coasts the less competitive places get. For example Cleveland Clinic and Mayo are top brand names with great training but aren't all that competitive because of the location.

IM has become really competitve this year as US students are eschewing radiology and other specialties that will not be as lucrative in the future with changes afoot. Even Harvard and UPenn students have been crying about not getting interviews.

You should aim for >250 or even 260 on step 2. If you are doing as well as you are on UW then 250 will be no problem for you. Make sure you impress at your electives and that they are at places you might want to work. Hopefully you did really well during medical school. Publications are important too. If you haven't got any get some - it isn't that hard to get a letter to the editor or case report. Review article is bit harder but doable, original research worth the most but harder. You probably should have 1 UK letter and 3 US letters and PM me closer to the time and I will tell you how to do your MSPE. I would arrange to teach some 3rd years - I have been asked about teaching at many of my interviews.

Basically step 2 and your elective evaluations and medical school ranking will affect where you should apply.

Thanks for the indepth reply Splik. Want to go for IM, with a view to going into a pulm/cc fellowship (possibly in Canada, but that's another story).

Hoping to focus my application on the East coast but happy to consider the Midwest, but not too far 'deep'. Ohio looks like my sort of limit.

Will have done two IM sub-Is from Columbia and UCLA and did well on the latter, doubt I will get interviewed at Columbia with my Step 1 scores. Have no research either :( must get onto that really. In terms of the elective evaluations, do you submit those? I mean, I am getting letters from the attendings, but in terms of the formal eval signed by the PD? Done well in uni, ranked 9th last year, don't know where I stand this year. Merits in years 1, 3 and 4 and an alumni prize for the highest score in paeds (very relevant to IM!). Got my first choice deanery for FY1 next year which I'm pleased about and I'll aim for a teaching hospital anyway.

What I'm worried about is the visa issue. I did some searches on FREIDA for the East Coast and went through programs looking for places that sponsor the H1B and there were barely any really. Even less for university programs. I was eligible for the green card lottery this year so I entered it, if I got that it would make things a lot easier (but I'm not holding my breath).

Step 2 revision is going OK, got a 91% and a few mid 80s on the last few blocks I churned out. Nice way to spend my christmas! :thumbup:

Dont worry about research just bash out some publications, research with nothing to show for it isnt all that useful unless it is particularly interesting/groundbreaking.

Don't worry about the visa thing, you wont know what programs to apply for until you have your step 2 back and see how things go on your elective. Remember to network like crazy and tell people you will be applying for residency. Once you get interviews you can negotiate with programs, very few university programs NEVER sponsor H1B visas, regardless of what they say. The staunchly anti-IMG programs are usually a bit **** anyway.

It's all over folks!! Prematch offer from my top choice (by a long measure)!!!! It's a hospital that's home to many pediatric greats and a place that rarely takes IMGs, much less offers prematches. I am in absolute shock and disbelief :eek: Got a call from the Program Director this evening with the offer and I said YES in a heartbeat :) The call came mainly because I send an email this morning professing my love for them :love:. I guess they loved me too and wanted to cut to the chase and seal the deal ;) The contract was faxed over, I signed it, faxed it back and subsequently withdrew from the match!! And just like that, everything was over...within a matter of hours....unreal!! The end of an exciting and adventurous journey that lead all the way to my dream program. I wish you guys all the best in your respective journeys!! USA here I comeee :D

Last edited:
It's all over folks!! Prematch offer from my top choice (by a long measure)!!!! It's home of the late Waldo Nelson, the father of Pediatrics and author of Nelson's textbook of Pediatrics!! It's a hospital that's home to many other pediatric greats and a place that rarely takes IMGs, much less offers prematches. I am in absolute shock and disbelief :eek: Got a call from the Program Director this evening with the offer and I said YES in a heartbeat :) The call came mainly because I send an email this morning professing my love for them :love:. I guess they loved me too and wanted to cut to the chase and seal the deal ;) The contract was faxed over, I signed it, faxed it back and subsequently withdrew from the match!! And just like that, everything was over...within a matter of hours....unreal!! The end of an exciting and adventurous journey that lead all the way to my dream program. I wish you guys all the best in your respective journeys!! Philadelphia here I comeee :D

Wow!! Fantastic news, that really is a great outcome! Congratulations :) :D

Dont worry about research just bash out some publications, research with nothing to show for it isnt all that useful unless it is particularly interesting/groundbreaking.

Don't worry about the visa thing, you wont know what programs to apply for until you have your step 2 back and see how things go on your elective. Remember to network like crazy and tell people you will be applying for residency. Once you get interviews you can negotiate with programs, very few university programs NEVER sponsor H1B visas, regardless of what they say. The staunchly anti-IMG programs are usually a bit **** anyway.

Thanks splik. What do you mean by 'see how things go on your elective'? Also, if I apply to programs that are outwardly anti H1B (like "We do NOT sponsor H1B') etc, isn't it a bit of a time waste on both parties if I do get called for an interview/risk an awkward moment when I ask about H1Bs with them saying 'didn't you read our website'?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks splik. What do you mean by 'see how things go on your elective'? Also, if I apply to programs that are outwardly anti H1B (like "We do NOT sponsor H1B') etc, isn't it a bit of a time waste on both parties if I do get called for an interview/risk an awkward moment when I ask about H1Bs with them saying 'didn't you read our website'?

I don't think most program directors even know what is on their website. You are interested not on what is on the program website, but the GME (graduate medical education) website for the university/hospital. If it says 'we never ever ever ever sponsor H1B visas mutha****as' then you will know to avoid applying there. However most of the time it will say something like 'we prefer J1 visas', or 'only under exceptional circumstances'. You shouldn't bring up the visa thing in the interview, in all but one of my interviews the PD had asked about the visa thing and will usually say something like 'you don't want a J1, we'll sort you out with a H1B visa' or 'we want our residents to come and work here as attendings after residency so we would want to sponsor you for permanent residency' etc. I interviewed at a program that says on their website: 'we only sponsor J1 visas'. Which shows how clueless they are - programs NEVER sponsor J1 visas, they are sponsored by the ECFMG. Anyway, at the interview the PD asked me about my visa requirements, and I said I am on an F1 and would need a H1B visa. He said that was fine.

If a program likes you they will sponsor you for a H1B visa. If the admindroids won't allow it they will be very apologetic and say 'even though we would like to we can't'. If anyone makes an issue about it, you don't not want to go there. I would make it known, should the issue arise that I will not be ranking any programs that will not sponsor me for a H1B visa. They need to put their money where their mouth is as far as Im concerned.

It is an incredible hassle having a J1- they are 1yr only so you need to fly back to the UK and get it extended each year, you need to get a statement of need from the DoH (and who knows how long that will continue there is no need for consultants they need middle grades for rota fodder), whilst a H1B lasts 3 years, can be extended for a further 3 years, allows you to switch on to other visas, apply for permanant residency etc.

See how things go on your elective - I mean your evaluation/LoR from this elective will be extremely important in determining where you should apply. You have to remember no one will give you a bad evaluation but a good evaluation is a bad evaluation. In American satisfactory = awful, good = bad, very good = satisfactory, excellent = good, outstanding = very good, exceptional = excellent and some places even have 'superior'. So your evaluation may not be as good as you think it is compared to how it would be in the UK. Anything less than 'sineapse has performed at a level that is superior to the interns that normally staff the department' and you should start scratching your head. Also you want your supervisors to be so impressed with you they will be willing to make calls or put in a word to the programs you are applying to, to get interviews.

I don't think most program directors even know what is on their website. You are interested not on what is on the program website, but the GME (graduate medical education) website for the university/hospital. If it says 'we never ever ever ever sponsor H1B visas mutha****as' then you will know to avoid applying there. However most of the time it will say something like 'we prefer J1 visas', or 'only under exceptional circumstances'. You shouldn't bring up the visa thing in the interview, in all but one of my interviews the PD had asked about the visa thing and will usually say something like 'you don't want a J1, we'll sort you out with a H1B visa' or 'we want our residents to come and work here as attendings after residency so we would want to sponsor you for permanent residency' etc. I interviewed at a program that says on their website: 'we only sponsor J1 visas'. Which shows how clueless they are - programs NEVER sponsor J1 visas, they are sponsored by the ECFMG. Anyway, at the interview the PD asked me about my visa requirements, and I said I am on an F1 and would need a H1B visa. He said that was fine.

If a program likes you they will sponsor you for a H1B visa. If the admindroids won't allow it they will be very apologetic and say 'even though we would like to we can't'. If anyone makes an issue about it, you don't not want to go there. I would make it known, should the issue arise that I will not be ranking any programs that will not sponsor me for a H1B visa. They need to put their money where their mouth is as far as Im concerned.

It is an incredible hassle having a J1- they are 1yr only so you need to fly back to the UK and get it extended each year, you need to get a statement of need from the DoH (and who knows how long that will continue there is no need for consultants they need middle grades for rota fodder), whilst a H1B lasts 3 years, can be extended for a further 3 years, allows you to switch on to other visas, apply for permanant residency etc.

See how things go on your elective - I mean your evaluation/LoR from this elective will be extremely important in determining where you should apply. You have to remember no one will give you a bad evaluation but a good evaluation is a bad evaluation. In American satisfactory = awful, good = bad, very good = satisfactory, excellent = good, outstanding = very good, exceptional = excellent and some places even have 'superior'. So your evaluation may not be as good as you think it is compared to how it would be in the UK. Anything less than 'sineapse has performed at a level that is superior to the interns that normally staff the department' and you should start scratching your head. Also you want your supervisors to be so impressed with you they will be willing to make calls or put in a word to the programs you are applying to, to get interviews.

Cheers Splik, as I've said before, this thread is an absolute goldmine. Your advice is much appreciated :)

Step 2 CK scheduling permit received, going to book for Feb 13th! Finished world on an average of 72%, last five block average 76%. Now reading through my annotated step up to step 2 for the next fortnight and then read through secrets.

Blurgh horrible next two months, doing surgery, step 2 prep, then a month doing A&E to prepare for finals :(

Just to add re: visas - I had an interview last week somewhere where they don't typically sponsor H1 visas and the medical center 'strongly prefers J1s'. The program director did not bring up visas during the interview so I asked about it, and she made it clear that whilst the university didn't like it, 'we have sponsored H1 visas in the past and we can do it again'. Moral of the story: it is okay to ask about these things in your interview, and there is a degree of negotiability. Obviously there are some places that never ever sponsor H1s (New York Presbytarian and most of the california programs for example)

Just to add re: visas - I had an interview last week somewhere where they don't typically sponsor H1 visas and the medical center 'strongly prefers J1s'. The program director did not bring up visas during the interview so I asked about it, and she made it clear that whilst the university didn't like it, 'we have sponsored H1 visas in the past and we can do it again'. Moral of the story: it is okay to ask about these things in your interview, and there is a degree of negotiability. Obviously there are some places that never ever sponsor H1s (New York Presbytarian and most of the california programs for example)

Don't you run the risk of pitching up to an interview, halfway through popping the visa question and getting shot down, then an awkward silence when both parties have realised that it has been a waste of time and airfare for all included?

Booked my test date on Monday 13th Feb, also in the process of revising for finals, ranking 530 odd house officer jobs here in the UK, going to an interview at the deanery next week and doing a surgical/anaesthetics firm :(

That would be the ideal time to take it, and it'll be a huge weight off your back. 2 weeks is enough (not ideal) if you have been studying and preparing for it (weekends and evenings) all throughout your 2nd year. Ideally start studying for it on a parallel basis from day 1 of medschool if you want a really high score. Easier said than done..lol! Wish you all the best.

Hello, I am in the middle of semesters, 1st year. What would be your advice, having gone through the process of parallel studying (I am doing my version of this now)? Like, what do you wish you'd have done different if you had started since day 1 of 1st year? What do you regret (if anything)? Thanks Dr!

Don't you run the risk of pitching up to an interview, halfway through popping the visa question and getting shot down, then an awkward silence when both parties have realised that it has been a waste of time and airfare for all included?

No because you wouldn't ask halfway through, you would ask at the end, and the vast majority of places will bring this up first. If anyone shoots you down then they are not someone you want to be working for anyway so valuable lesson, or they weren't all that interested in you so they already wasted your time and money by having you fly out when you were at the bottom of their preliminary lists. Simply put, if they like you then they will go out of their way to try and recruit you. End of. It is easy to find out which places allow H1 visas and which do not, thus if you apply sensibly and they shoot you down it means they don't love you after all...

No because you wouldn't ask halfway through, you would ask at the end, and the vast majority of places will bring this up first. If anyone shoots you down then they are not someone you want to be working for anyway so valuable lesson, or they weren't all that interested in you so they already wasted your time and money by having you fly out when you were at the bottom of their preliminary lists. Simply put, if they like you then they will go out of their way to try and recruit you. End of. It is easy to find out which places allow H1 visas and which do not, thus if you apply sensibly and they shoot you down it means they don't love you after all...

Yup, that makes sense. Thinking a little ahead to starting the ECFMG process Splik, should have Step 1 and both parts of Step 2 done by the time I get back from my elective in May. When can I start that ball rolling? Do I actually have to have degree in hand to start it? Mindful of what you said about getting MPSE and the Dean's letter too, our administrators are likely to need some cajoling to get it all done.

You need to have been awarded the degree (a letter will do I don't think you need to have the actual diploma but might have to send it at some point). This is a very stressful process and you should start it the minute you pass finals and become dr sineapse. registry at my medschool were very slow about it all, and ECFMG lost the copy of the diploma! Use FedEx I regret not doing that. I would make sure all your letters are submitted by the end of July as ECFMG are a bit slow about getting them up later on, and make sure your transcript and MSPE have been submitted to ECFMG by the beginning of July so you are ready to apply September 1st. I did not have transcript and all my letters avaialbe until October and I suspect this hurt me (I still don't understand how I got interviews at 'top' places but not 'mid tier' ones).

I would also strongly suggest taking Step 3 as early as possible. The only issue is I think I benefitted from having done F1 first.

You need to have been awarded the degree (a letter will do I don't think you need to have the actual diploma but might have to send it at some point). This is a very stressful process and you should start it the minute you pass finals and become dr sineapse. registry at my medschool were very slow about it all, and ECFMG lost the copy of the diploma! Use FedEx I regret not doing that. I would make sure all your letters are submitted by the end of July as ECFMG are a bit slow about getting them up later on, and make sure your transcript and MSPE have been submitted to ECFMG by the beginning of July so you are ready to apply September 1st. I did not have transcript and all my letters avaialbe until October and I suspect this hurt me (I still don't understand how I got interviews at 'top' places but not 'mid tier' ones).

I would also strongly suggest taking Step 3 as early as possible. The only issue is I think I benefitted from having done F1 first.

That's a funny one, isn't it, when I actually become dr sineapse...is it post finals or on graduation? My ex was going on about how you 'qualify' when you pass finals too. I'll be picking your brains about transcript and MSPE help in March or so as you so kindly offered a little while back :)

Step 1 score came today - 228/83

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread, got lots of help from you all. Finished med school rotation on Dec 20th and sat the exam on the 30th. Wasn't ideal but had a good week of cramming...

Now onto step 2! hoping to sit both CS and CK in June following finals...

Thanks again

Step 1 score came today - 228/83

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread, got lots of help from you all. Finished med school rotation on Dec 20th and sat the exam on the 30th. Wasn't ideal but had a good week of cramming...

Now onto step 2! hoping to sit both CS and CK in June following finals...

Thanks again

Congrats Broker! :D That's the tough one out of the way...big weight off your chest!

That's a funny one, isn't it, when I actually become dr sineapse...is it post finals or on graduation?

It depends on the medical school but usually once you pass finals you should get a letter saying you are now dr sineapse etc although your actual degree conferral won't be until graduation.

It depends on the medical school but usually once you pass finals you should get a letter saying you are now dr sineapse etc although your actual degree conferral won't be until graduation.

Really?! As in a congratulations type letter? That is....pretty good revision incentive I must say.

Congrats splik!

I was just about to book step 2 CS, I'll be taking CK with finals and had planned on getting CS out of the way at the same time.

Is it best to do this or wait until you have more experience, maybe middle of FY1?

And one last question, when is it best to sit step 3? Where can it fit in with uk training?

Congrats splik!

I was just about to book step 2 CS, I'll be taking CK with finals and had planned on getting CS out of the way at the same time.

Is it best to do this or wait until you have more experience, maybe middle of FY1?

And one last question, when is it best to sit step 3? Where can it fit in with uk training?

I did CS the week after finals - there's really no added knowledge required except to go through First Aid to familiarise yourself with the style of the exam.

As for Step 3, I did this in the July of F1 - I would have done it a bit earlier but there were issues with getting my degree verified and then arranging leave.

Jonathan

Hey Jonathon, been a while! Hows things going with you?

I did CS and CK a week after the other (and then did step 1 the week after that!) i think it is definitely doable and if possible I would recommend doing your CK in the US as it is cheaper! CS is very easy I had 1 day to prepare (literally booked it on a whim and flew out the next day) and just flicked through first aid for step 2 CS - all the cases I had were in that book.

Step 3 you would benefit from having done F1 at least medicine and surgery. I was 6 months out of clinical practice when I did it and felt I would have done better if I had been able to do it when I was an F1. Highly recommend having Step 3 before applying for residency if possible however it is not the end of the world if you don't. (I didn't and still got some great interviews)

So during the elective you should try to do better than the interns there or otherwise rethink doing the elective?
This question is for splik.

Thanks for all the replies, will go ahead and get those booked...

Got Step 2 in 2.5 weeks, feeling a bit burn out...firms are killing me + revision + FPAS + interviews + jobs ranking + finals revision :(

So during the elective you should try to do better than the interns there or otherwise rethink doing the elective?

It depends on the type of elective. If it is a sub-internship then you should be reporting directly to the residents and/or attendings and thus you should match or surpass the interns. If it is an advanced clinical clerkship you may find yourself working under an intern and you certainly do not want to make them look bad which you could if for example you were to answer a question they didn't know the answer to or somehow (even not deliberately) show them up. They could then say negative things about you.

Not doing a US elective is not really an option so this is a non-question. Almost everyone will get a strong letter of recommendation which is what you need. If you are particularly impressive you will get a brilliant letter, but even an average performance will usually get a good letter of recommendation as Americans tend not to write bad things about people.

I'm well thanks - just in the process of sorting out my PTAL and starting to think about where to apply.

Do you have a social security number? If you don't you won't get a PTAL.

My initial plan was to go sunny california and got everything ready for the PTAL until i realised they wont give you one with an SSN! It has probably worked out for the best, most cali programs don't sponsor H1-B visas which is annoying (Cedars-Sinai does and some of the places you should avoid perhaps but nowhere else). If you want the more relaxed west coast feel outside of cali consider University of Washington (Seattle) and OHSU (oregon) which are extremely liveable cities.

Hopefully you are still in touch with attendings from your electives - they will usually give good advice re:where to apply.

Got Step 2 in 2.5 weeks, feeling a bit burn out...firms are killing me + revision + FPAS + interviews + jobs ranking + finals revision :(

I know it can seem overwhelming but really that's not that much! Step 2 revision = finals revision (I promise you will breeze through finals especially if you are where i think you are), the 'interviews' for f1 are not really interviews at all so chill, FPAS = jobs ranking (don't waste too much time its all the same just choose nice location) and at the end of it you will be going to New York and should plan a summer holiday to treat yourself!

Do you have a social security number? If you don't you won't get a PTAL.

Good point - I only downloaded the application form today so hadn't read it in full. Probably leaning more towards the East Coast but had wanted to keep my options open.

Jonathan

So CK is now done and out of the way....fingers crossed for results in a few weeks.

Looking ahead to ECFMG certification, I just received an email from my med school that states that even though graduation is in July, degree certificates are received in October/Nov. Obviously, this is a real problem when it comes to getting ECFMG certified and the impact this will have on the willingness for programs to interview me.

I have been looking on the ECFMG website and I found this page that states halfway down:

"If you are a medical school graduate when you submit your first exam application, your credentials must be submitted with this initial exam application. If you have graduated and met all requirements for your medical diploma but your medical diploma has not yet been issued, a current, full-face, passport-sized, color photograph and a letter signed by your Medical School Dean, Vice Dean, or Registrar must be submitted with your exam application. The letter you submit must be the original document and must be written on your medical school's letterhead. The letter must include the following statement:

This is to confirm that [applicant name] has graduated and completed all requirements to receive the [degree title] degree from [medical school/university name]. The degree will be issued [month and year].
You must then send your diploma to ECFMG as soon as the diploma is issued."

Anyone come across this before? As far as I can see from some other forums, I thought you had to send a copy of your diploma to get ECFMG certified. Is this something that was introduced recently?

So CK is now done and out of the way....fingers crossed for results in a few weeks.

Looking ahead to ECFMG certification, I just received an email from my med school that states that even though graduation is in July, degree certificates are received in October/Nov. Obviously, this is a real problem when it comes to getting ECFMG certified and the impact this will have on the willingness for programs to interview me.

I have been looking on the ECFMG website and I found this page that states halfway down:

"If you are a medical school graduate when you submit your first exam application, your credentials must be submitted with this initial exam application. If you have graduated and met all requirements for your medical diploma but your medical diploma has not yet been issued, a current, full-face, passport-sized, color photograph and a letter signed by your Medical School Dean, Vice Dean, or Registrar must be submitted with your exam application. The letter you submit must be the original document and must be written on your medical school’s letterhead. The letter must include the following statement:

This is to confirm that [applicant name] has graduated and completed all requirements to receive the [degree title] degree from [medical school/university name]. The degree will be issued [month and year].
You must then send your diploma to ECFMG as soon as the diploma is issued."

Anyone come across this before? As far as I can see from some other forums, I thought you had to send a copy of your diploma to get ECFMG certified. Is this something that was introduced recently?

This is so that you are able to apply for the exams. Remember if you register with ECFMG as a medical student, you only need to submit the identity certificate, duly attested by the Dean or Registrar, and thereafter you can conveniently apply for the exam.

Once you graduate, you will have to apply for the exam as a graduate for which you need to provide a valid proof. The valid proof is a medical diploma. However if you have already graduated but are yet to be granted a diploma, your Dean can communicate your credentials to the ECFMG. This is important because it would enable you to apply for any USMLE exam as a graduate.

But your ECFMG certificate will not be issued unless your diploma gets verified by ECFMG.

Mm, spoke to an ECFMG rep on the phone today and she was helpful. Found out my University can expedite the issuance of my diploma if I write to them and request it, so that is what I will do :)

Mm, spoke to an ECFMG rep on the phone today and she was helpful. Found out my University can expedite the issuance of my diploma if I write to them and request it, so that is what I will do :)

Since I am also an international graduate, let me tell you some specifics about the process. You must definitely get it out as soon as possible if you wish you apply for the 2013 residency cycle. Even though your British medical school (if I assume correct based on your location) credential does give you an edge over, say for example, people graduating from medical schools from third world countries, you are still an IMG and should strive to build a comprehensive CV before applying for residencies.

Last 2 years, a comprehensive CV also meant USMLE Step 3, but your other credentials can easily eclipse the lack of Step 3.

What you have to do, is to send a photocopy and other documents (such as Form 187, 344 and 345) over to ECFMG as soon as you get your diploma. ECFMG would forward that diploma photocopy to your medical school with its own verification form. You will not find this form available for download from ECFMG website, as they do that process themselves. This verification form must be filled by the medical school, and transcripts attached with the form and sent back to the ECFMG.

Once ECFMG receives all those documents back, it reviews your degree with its vast library of degrees from every college and issue you the certificate.

Remember this takes time, even if your medical school sends the verification form back through expedited delivery.

Plus make sure you keep calling ECFMG to verify it has received ALL documents, whenever you send them anything. I had to do that, only to discover they had initially lost my documents, only to find them 3 weeks later.

Good luck.

Since I am also an international graduate, let me tell you some specifics about the process. You must definitely get it out as soon as possible if you wish you apply for the 2013 residency cycle. Even though your British medical school (if I assume correct based on your location) credential does give you an edge over, say for example, people graduating from medical schools from third world countries, you are still an IMG and should strive to build a comprehensive CV before applying for residencies.

Last 2 years, a comprehensive CV also meant USMLE Step 3, but your other credentials can easily eclipse the lack of Step 3.

What you have to do, is to send a photocopy and other documents (such as Form 187, 344 and 345) over to ECFMG as soon as you get your diploma. ECFMG would forward that diploma photocopy to your medical school with its own verification form. You will not find this form available for download from ECFMG website, as they do that process themselves. This verification form must be filled by the medical school, and transcripts attached with the form and sent back to the ECFMG.

Once ECFMG receives all those documents back, it reviews your degree with its vast library of degrees from every college and issue you the certificate.

Remember this takes time, even if your medical school sends the verification form back through expedited delivery.

Plus make sure you keep calling ECFMG to verify it has received ALL documents, whenever you send them anything. I had to do that, only to discover they had initially lost my documents, only to find them 3 weeks later.

Good luck.

Thanks man, that was a really useful read :)

Hi,

I'm a British FMG (2010 grad). Any advice which of these options I should go for?

1) Take CS in March (likely only arrive in the US the night before the exam).

2) Take CS in July.

Things I'm considering:
- I've not started studying yet but I have First Aid and could get a fortnight's work in now
- The test is changing in June and I'm not sure what effect this will have on pass rates etc
- I'll be applying in September 2012 and so if I don't take it before June, I won't have my result back by the time I apply.
- I'll have a Green Card so I won't be going down the H1B route

Would really appreciate any advice!! I'm irrationally worried by this exam. I've got the others out the way with no problems.

Hi,

I'm a British FMG (2010 grad). Any advice which of these options I should go for?

1) Take CS in March (likely only arrive in the US the night before the exam).

2) Take CS in July.

Things I'm considering:
- I've not started studying yet but I have First Aid and could get a fortnight's work in now
- The test is changing in June and I'm not sure what effect this will have on pass rates etc
- I'll be applying in September 2012 and so if I don't take it before June, I won't have my result back by the time I apply.
- I'll have a Green Card so I won't be going down the H1B route

Would really appreciate any advice!! I'm irrationally worried by this exam. I've got the others out the way with no problems.

CS is not a difficult exam, by any means. Americans don't even take it seriously and 97% still pass on first attempt. But for IMGs, it's a tricky exam. All you have to do, is just be cautious when studying for the exam, and then taking it. First Aid prepares you well enough, and equips you with all the formalities of the exam as well.

Things you're considering and their answers:

1. That's sufficient. You just need to learn the cases, which shouldn't take more than a week. Another week to practice cases. The latter should preferably be done with a study partner. Skype isn't a bad option either. Don't spend more than 3 weeks; it's not worth it.

2. This won't have any effect on pass rates. All USMLE exams are well standardized.

3. That's true. Competition is tough. You must have a complete CV before applying. Last 2 years, that meant having Step 3 as well, especially if you're applying to IM programs in community hospitals.

4. That's a huge advantage. Literally huge. Make sure you get your GC in time so that you can indicate in ERAS application that your visa status is "Permanent Resident". Hospitals hate catering for IMGs who need visa sponsorship.

Take it in March. Don't spend more than 3 weeks. Good luck.