USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll share my study plan and see how it compares to other students taking the CK in 2015. As of now, I'm planning on using online med ed videos, UWorld, UpToDate and my notes from shelf exam prep PRN. Taking it at the end of May. I'll probably start studying for it in earnest sometime mid April.

Reactions: 1 user
Where do you find the med ed videos?

When people say MTB2 and MTB3 does that mean "Master the Boards for Step 2" and "Master the Boards for Step 3" or is it just a 2nd vs. 3rd edition of the same book?

When people say MTB2 and MTB3 does that mean "Master the Boards for Step 2" and "Master the Boards for Step 3" or is it just a 2nd vs. 3rd edition of the same book?

No it means the former. Not different editions but different books.

Members don't see this ad :)

med ed videos- onlinemeded.org

The videos are for free, but you can pay a monthly subscription for notes that go along with the videos, mp3 files of the videos and a question bank.

https://onlinemeded.org/

It seems to be a very good site so far. I've been watching all the videos that are relevant to my rotations (supplemented with Case Files series)

In terms of resources, I'm using First Aid CK, Firecracker, UWorld, COMBANK and my notes from rotations. Might get Master the Boards or Step Up to Step 2 in a few months if I need to. I'm planning to take Step 2 sometimes in July.

med ed videos- onlinemeded.org

The videos are for free, but you can pay a monthly subscription for notes that go along with the videos, mp3 files of the videos and a question bank.

How are the notes? I'm at the tail end of my prep and I don't know if they would be useful now...

How are the notes? I'm at the tail end of my prep and I don't know if they would be useful now...
Eh they're alright. The videos/notes are very general though and not detailed enough if you're pretty much done studying. They're a good way to start off your preparation if you feel like you need the extra help. I did find a couple of discrepancies between what he mentions in his videos/notes and in questions I've come across, so I may stop using them altogether soon and just focus on Qbanks and UpToDate.

Eh they're alright. The videos/notes are very general though and not detailed enough if you're pretty much done studying. They're a good way to start off your preparation if you feel like you need the extra help. I did find a couple of discrepancies between what he mentions in his videos/notes and in questions I've come across, so I may stop using them altogether soon and just focus on Qbanks and UpToDate.

Thanks for letting me know :). I think I will just stick to Uworld review and UpToDate.

Thanks for letting me know :). I think I will just stick to Uworld review and UpToDate.

Yeah. I know I've been hortatory about it already, but UpToDate is definitely vital to the 2CK. It's pretty much the only way to be confident in the Mx for a particular situation. Of course we get it for free being in med school, but otherwise those subscriptions are ridiculously expensive, but it's for a reason; it's because they pay educated people a fortune to keep things constantly updated.

Yeah. I know I've been hortatory about it already, but UpToDate is definitely vital to the 2CK. It's pretty much the only way to be confident in the Mx for a particular situation. Of course we get it for free being in med school, but otherwise those subscriptions are ridiculously expensive, but it's for a reason; it's because they pay educated people a fortune to keep things constantly updated.

Yeah me being a graduate already, I had to pay $40 for 1 month of it :(. I've already used it for a few topics and its really reinforced stuff for me :).

Yeah me being a graduate already, I had to pay $40 for 1 month of it :(. I've already used it for a few topics and its really reinforced stuff for me :).

$40/month :eek::eek::confused: dude, I feel bad for you.... Hopefully it'll pay off in the end

Members don't see this ad :)
So, is medscape not very relevant? I've been referencing it, so far.
I've used medscape a couple of times on the wards and it seems to be okay, but I'm not sure how it compares to UpToDate. I have been/will be using UTD though, because I get it for free through my school.

So, is medscape not very relevant? I've been referencing it, so far.

I know a few people from my class who use medscape as their main reference. Personally, I have both UTD and medscape apps on my phone. I use medscape sometimes during my surgery rotation for light read-up on common procedures and quick review of anatomy. Otherwise, UTD is my go-to source (99.9%)

Anyone have advice on tuning up my Cardio? It's the only section I consistently do worse than the others in, and it's a trend that has continued to haunt me since Step1...

Anyone have advice on tuning up my Cardio? It's the only section I consistently do worse than the others in, and it's a trend that has continued to haunt me since Step1...

Not really. Probably would be a waste of time reading an ECG book or anything like that. Just do practice questions, or (if you really feel you need remediation) even take a look back at the cardio chapter in FA Step 1.

As far as CK is concerned, it's not necessary or even within the proper scope of the exam to use UTD or Medscape as a main study source. They're great if you're rounding at your hospital and need to check up on something, which is what they're intended for. Your study course will be haphazard if you rely on these sources. If you have UTD already, because your hospital or school subsidizes it, then sure, use it to double check things you aren't sure of.

UWorld has nearly everything you need. It was the sole study source for many people I know. If it's not enough, I would turn to MTB. While MTB is getting outdated, UWorld more than compensates for its shortcomings. It's a quick and easy review you can turn to if you forget something. If you forgot some basic Step 1 stuff, don't hesitate to look back at FA for Step 1. But remember to keep your focus on what this exam will test and don't worry so much about finding peer review articles and other OCD crap.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm just surprised to see that many people who did well on CK mostly just relied on using UW. However, then again, I'm also an IMG and didn't get to go to as great of rotation sites as many AMGs did. I'm taking my exam in a couple of months and plan on using:

Kaplan for Peds, Psych, and OB.
MTB2
MTB3 - selective chapters
UWorld
Will probably get a subscription of UsmleRx since you can simulate a real exam and take multiple blocks simultaneously.

Most of my shelf scores have been in the high 60s range, so a bit worried.

I'm just surprised to see that many people who did well on CK mostly just relied on using UW. However, then again, I'm also an IMG and didn't get to go to as great of rotation sites as many AMGs did. I'm taking my exam in a couple of months and plan on using:

Kaplan for Peds, Psych, and OB.
MTB2
MTB3 - selective chapters
UWorld
Will probably get a subscription of UsmleRx since you can simulate a real exam and take multiple blocks simultaneously.

Most of my shelf scores have been in the high 60s range, so a bit worried.
Eh, I don't think rotation sites have any correlation with CK results. It's not like we get special notes from our preceptors during rotations that have the keys to success for the shelf exams and step 2. We all use the same resources to study from- UWorld, case files, blueprints etc etc. I never came across a question in a shelf that was answered solely based on something my preceptor told me.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, I don't think rotation sites have any correlation with CK results. It's not like we get special notes from our preceptors during rotations that have the keys to success for the shelf exams and step 2. We all use the same resources to study from- UWorld, case files, blueprints etc etc. I never came across a question in a shelf that was answered solely based on something my preceptor told me.
Very true. Many of my classmates, myself included, brought CK study material to the hospitals during rotations, and we often discussed that material with the doctors. The doctors didn't have time to give us prepared lectures, and they often relied on our material. My time at the hospital was usually spent writing patient notes and giving presentations, so it's not like I was learning anything extraordinary during my rotations. Since CK is nowhere near as broad as Step 1, sources like UWorld and MTB are very adequate for this exam. VCorp, I wouldn't say that you should not use the Kaplan books, but it is far more advantageous to know a few sources very well than spreading yourself too thin.

Any good results for today? Did the mean increase (used to be 240 +/- 18).
I am sure phloston is celebrating the 260 (or probably 270) now! Congrats for everybody!

Last edited:
If anyone can suggest to me anything I will appreciate it. I failed CK. I got a 202. I plan to retake it in 2 weeks. Right now I am averaging a 73% with 50% Uworld Completed. My sole source in Uworld with MTB 2 for reference. My question to you guys is if I have enough time to pull my score to a passing one with this short amount of time left? Thanks alot guys

If anyone can suggest to me anything I will appreciate it. I failed CK. I got a 202. I plan to retake it in 2 weeks. Right now I am averaging a 73% with 50% Uworld Completed. My sole source in Uworld with MTB 2 for reference. My question to you guys is if I have enough time to pull my score to a passing one with this short amount of time left? Thanks alot guys
Not a good idea to retake it this early without figuring out what went wrong and then devise a strategy accordingly.
Regarding the suggestion, there cannot be a better advice than reading the posted exam experience PDF from Phloston.
I read it and it felt like deja vu

Last edited:

What was your Uworld average prior to taking it the first time?

Trying to schedule Step 2CK for June or July. For those two months there is one available date (between three centers!). Will there be more availability as we get closer or is that just how scarce scheduling is this time around?

Trying to schedule Step 2CK for June or July. For those two months there is one available date (between three centers!). Will there be more availability as we get closer or is that just how scarce scheduling is this time around?
Many people reschedule/cancel . So you have a good chance of getting the date close to your choice.

If this is true, this thing is a hidden gold mine!!!
In fact it is worse than a coal mine since they don't test recall of UW Step 2 CK facts on the USMLE but the understanding and application of the concepts.
It will give you a false sense of security only to find the bubble burst during the test.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know what's going on? I've done 8 blocks and my average right now is a 59%. I'm taking this exam in about 8 weeks. Using MTB2, 3, and Kaplan for OB, Peds, and Psych. Granted this average is just for the IM portion of the questions.

PZwtjw2.png

You've just started. Uworld is a learning tool, what you score on it isnt that important. But yeah i get it, it can be demotivating, in that case make sure you atleast know the matter well, if you feel your basics are weak, give the sections from MTB 2 a quick read, even go back to your FA if you feel you've forgotten stuff.

In fact it is worse than a coal mine since they don't test recall of UW Step 2 CK facts on the USMLE but the understanding and application of the concepts.
It will give you a false sense of security only to find the bubble burst during the test.

It really depends on how you use it. If this is really the compilations of UW (which I doubt), I'll use it as light reading on top of other resources. To each his/her own :)

I don't know what's going on? I've done 8 blocks and my average right now is a 59%. I'm taking this exam in about 8 weeks. Using MTB2, 3, and Kaplan for OB, Peds, and Psych. Granted this average is just for the IM portion of the questions.

PZwtjw2.png

I wouldn't freak out about UW. The NBMEs are much more important (7 more accurate than 4 and 6).

Any hope of passing CK? These are my most recent...

Attachments

• IMG_20150129_133937_357.jpg
    IMG_20150129_133937_357.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 811
Just took it. It was tough. Very tough. Many weird questions and by the end of it I felt defeated. My first block felt the the hardest, probably because I was nervous and just sat there trying to make sure I get every question correct, which resulted in me almost running out of time when I used to easily finish a Uworld block with 10-12mins to spare.

Took a break after the first block and decided to steamroll through it instead of worrying about what my scores going to come out to be. 2nd block on-wards it got better and I was finishing blocks with about 6 to 8 mins in which I'd go back to the 3 to 4 questions I'd specifically mark which I felt required extra time.

Overall I had ATLEAST 5 questions that were insanely long(required scrolling down a bit) BUT did not even require reading more than just the answers and the last line. A lot of questions had a lot of irrelevant content aimed to wasting time, one question with a picture even employed a cheap trick where the contrast of the picture was so bad that the relatively easy lesion looked almost invisible. There were around 5 to 7 questions that were so easy that I felt I was missing something. Plenty of step 1 style basic science questions on some metabolic disorders, inherited disorders and immunodeficiency disorders. Plenty of easy psych. 1 abstract which I failed to completely figure out (did it at the end of the block). Lots of easy biostats, no calculations, study designs, errors, interpretations of results. A rare side effect of a drug of abuse which I happened to know not because its in FA or any other book but because I read it on wiki or someplace years ago and it just stuck. Missed an easy two step question that I'm still kicking myself about but oh well. All blocks were 44 questions except for the one with the drug ad which was 42.

Obviously I feel horrible at the moment and I'm trying really hard to trust my uswa score.

Want to thank Phloston for his recent guide and I totally agree with him, the clinical mastery questions are a must. I did all except the psychiatry questions during the last week. Had I not tuned to the nbme style of questions, my day would have been way worse.