USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
took yesterday. phrase of the month is 'the patient does not suffer from any serious illness.'

took UWSA and NBME7 a day before the test because due to an emergency had to change the date and no time for revision, etc. got barely passing score, but i took these two more as a revising tool than as a performance marker.

took yesterday. phrase of the month is 'the patient does not suffer from any serious illness.'

took UWSA and NBME7 a day before the test because due to an emergency had to change the date and no time for revision, etc. got barely passing score, but i took these two more as a revising tool than as a performance marker.

Good luck with the outcome. What do you recommend doing during the last month other than UW? I have gone through UW once and used MTB only sparingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have 5 more days (with 1 dedicated to UWSA). What does everyone recommend for the last week? Just finished UWorld so maybe go through incorrects x1?

Good luck with the outcome. What do you recommend doing during the last month other than UW? I have gone through UW once and used MTB only sparingly.
just go through your notes.
revise psych and toxicology daily.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey img here, aiming for summer like mid May. Got baaaad step 1 score. Old graduate. Using kaplan videos and book and UW system and topical, started with int.med.

How does RTA and Diarrhea cause Hyperchloremic normal anion gap metabolic acidosis and how can urine anion gap differentiate between the 2?
Anyone?

Hi guys, I gave my exam a few days back, 2nd attempt after a lot of prep 3.5 months after the last attempt, conpared to last time the exam felt a notch easier and more balanced, first block was tough as it usually is I believe but then blocks 2-6 felt much easier and then 7-8 were medium-difficult and the last block 9 had 32 questions which were longer but due to more time being available to solve them compensated for the length, felt like a mix of UWSA and NBME in question style....However by no means do I feel like I mastered the exam, many questions were tricky and still have doubts about quite a few answers, in every block there would be 7-8 questions that made me pick an educated guess rather than a confirmed answer, however this time around my time management was better and I didnt leave any question unanswered although in block 7-8 i did rush in the last few questions.
Here are my prep stats;

UWORLD did 2nd time through timed tutored subject and system wise since last time random tutored didnt help me improve my concepts and I felt I needed to practice each system individually to understand the questions better and It did me a lot of benefit in making the Dx faster and efficiently. Scored 83% overall

UWSA; 230 3 days before exam
NBME 6; 225 2 days before exam
NBME 4; 237 1 day before exam
Nbme Psych form 1; 35/50 questions correct
Nbme Neuro form 1; 36/50 questions correct
Nbme Neuro form 2; 37/50 questions correct

Before my last attempt in sept I had gotten 73-75% in uworld random timed tutored and my nbme 7 was 223. Exam felt very very tough at that time I had missed questions and found every block very difficult, this time it didnt feel that way at least

What do you guys think? Will I make it through? What score should I expect?

Hi guys,

I got the result yesterday. It was 256. I benefited a lot from this forum while preparing for Step 1 and Step 2 CK. I hope my experience can be helpful to you.

Preparation

I watched Kaplan Video twice. (I didn't read the books because they are too thick!)
Then I did Kaplan Qbank with an average of 61% (the mean for that Qbank was 58%).
I was a bit disappointed so I read the explanations of Kaplan Qbank carefully twice (literally words to words). I learned a lot from that.
I started doing U World Qbank 2 months before the exam. I only did it once (random, timed), my average was 78%. Again, I read the explanations carefully once, wiki or uptodate the stuffs I am not familiar with, and reviewed my markings three times.
My Fred 150 was about 88% (one month before the exam)
I only tried the NBME 4 questions offline (two weeks before). My score was probably 235-240 based on the answers in the forum.
I activated UWSA, but I was too nervous to do it.
I scanned through MTB 2 and MTB3 during the last week, which I was surprised to find there are stuffs that are not covered in U World Qbank or Kaplan Qbank. You don't need to read everything, I guess only those "questions and answers" in these books are useful for the exam.

My feeling is that U world is the most useful resource. U world + MTB 2 and MTB 3 will get you above 250 if you can master 90% of the knowledge. Do Kaplan Qbank if you are shooting for 260 or higher.

Exam experience

I have read tons of posts where people complained about how ridiculously difficult the exam was. So I was totally stressed out before the exam. However, the real thing turned out to be quite doable, at least for me. Yes, the stems may be a bit longer than U world, but not significantly. Besides, there are stems that are very short. So overall, you should not have time management issue due to "long stems". I guess the key is to be very disciplined. Don't dwell on questions that you are unsure about, pick whatever you instinct says and move on.

There will be questions (10-15% for me) that test knowledge that you have never prepared for. However, remember that the USMLE is not going to trick you. Don't over think, just choose the answer that sounds best to you.

Another important point is that almost everyone will make silly mistakes during that exam, believe me! I knew that I got at least 5 questions wrong in previous blocks before I finished the exam! Don't worry, just keep going! After the exam, several questions that I was unsure about haunted me for the next three weeks. I guess it is normal for people to concentrate on the questions they didn't do well and ignore the questions they kicked ass of. That's probably also why people felt a bit down after the exam. But just remember that you can still get 250+ even if you made several mistakes.

I took Step 1 four years back and got 246. I think it would be an advantage if you start prepare for the Step 2 CK right after Step 1 because there were at least 5 questions that tested mechanisms of disease using Step 1 knowledge which I was unsure about. However, you can still eliminate and guess based on the residual knowledge for Step 1 in your mind and what U World has taught you. So don't overemphasize the importance of Step 1, and I don't recommend you to review FA Step1 thoroughly because that would be low yield.

I hope my post can be helpful to you and cheer you up a bit!

Reactions: 12 users
Taking Step 2CK in late June with about 2 weeks dedicated study time. However, my last rotation will be pretty relaxed so I can study a bit before dedicated study. Any recommendations as to what I should do during those 2 weeks besides UW and MTB 2/3?

I've done pretty well on my 3rd year shelves so I believe I'll have a solid foundation going in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I got the result yesterday. It was 256. I benefited a lot from this forum while preparing for Step 1 and Step 2 CK. I hope my experience can be helpful to you.

Preparation

I watched Kaplan Video twice. (I didn't read the books because they are too thick!)
Then I did Kaplan Qbank with an average of 61% (the mean for that Qbank was 58%).
I was a bit disappointed so I read the explanations of Kaplan Qbank carefully twice (literally words to words). I learned a lot from that.
I started doing U World Qbank 2 months before the exam. I only did it once (random, timed), my average was 78%. Again, I read the explanations carefully once, wiki or uptodate the stuffs I am not familiar with, and reviewed my markings three times.
My Fred 150 was about 88% (one month before the exam)
I only tried the NBME 4 questions offline (two weeks before). My score was probably 235-240 based on the answers in the forum.
I activated UWSA, but I was too nervous to do it.
I scanned through MTB 2 and MTB3 during the last week, which I was surprised to find there are stuffs that are not covered in U World Qbank or Kaplan Qbank. You don't need to read everything, I guess only those "questions and answers" in these books are useful for the exam.

My feeling is that U world is the most useful resource. U world + MTB 2 and MTB 3 will get you above 250 if you can master 90% of the knowledge. Do Kaplan Qbank if you are shooting for 260 or higher.

Exam experience

I have read tons of posts where people complained about how ridiculously difficult the exam was. So I was totally stressed out before the exam. However, the real thing turned out to be quite doable, at least for me. Yes, the stems may be a bit longer than U world, but not significantly. Besides, there are stems that are very short. So overall, you should not have time management issue due to "long stems". I guess the key is to be very disciplined. Don't dwell on questions that you are unsure about, pick whatever you instinct says and move on.

There will be questions (10-15% for me) that test knowledge that you have never prepared for. However, remember that the USMLE is not going to trick you. Don't over think, just choose the answer that sounds best to you.

Another important point is that almost everyone will make silly mistakes during that exam, believe me! I knew that I got at least 5 questions wrong in previous blocks before I finished the exam! Don't worry, just keep going! After the exam, several questions that I was unsure about haunted me for the next three weeks. I guess it is normal for people to concentrate on the questions they didn't do well and ignore the questions they kicked ass of. That's probably also why people felt a bit down after the exam. But just remember that you can still get 250+ even if you made several mistakes.

I took Step 1 four years back and got 246. I think it would be an advantage if you start prepare for the Step 2 CK right after Step 1 because there were at least 5 questions that tested mechanisms of disease using Step 1 knowledge which I was unsure about. However, you can still eliminate and guess based on the residual knowledge for Step 1 in your mind and what U World has taught you. So don't overemphasize the importance of Step 1, and I don't recommend you to review FA Step1 thoroughly because that would be low yield.

I hope my post can be helpful to you and cheer you up a bit!

Congrats on the excellent score!

Looks like NBME just added new forms for the Clinical Mastery series .. they list 4 exams for each specialty .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,I'm a newbie here.I've been a silent observer of the forum for a long time.Anyways I just wanted to share my experience and hope that it helps someone.This post is mainly for those who don't test well.
I'm an IMG from India.I'm an average student.Got pretty ok scores throughout med school.Started preparing for step 1 in 2013.Due to certain family issues I was able to take the exam in May 2014.The biggest mistake I made was going to the exam when I wasn't ready.At that point I just wanted to be done with it and that was my downfall.I've never been a good test taker and I should've listened to my NBME scores.But alas, I went ahead and took it anyway, and 4 nerve racking weeks later I got my score....a paltry 213.Needless to say I was devastated but I really couldn't blame anyone but myself.Thankfully my husband had enough faith in me and I started my preparations for step 2 hoping that the clinical basis of the exam would make it easy.I read FA and did their Qbank with an average score of 67%.I did the Kaplan live online course, did the q bank with 68% avg.I read the Kaplan textbooks twice.I then purchased UWorld qbank which proved to be more challenging and started off with pretty good scores(70-80% in most of the tests).But then for some reason I started scoring poorly with some test score in the 40's!!! and that made me depressed enough to stop doing any tests for a while!My husband then started to ask me questions from the textbooks itself and as I stared answering I slowly regained my confidence.I continued with Uworld qbank and managed to score decently again.By now I had been preparing for almost a year.I finally scheduled my exam for Jan 2016.In Nov 2015 I did NBME 4 and got 237.In DEC I did nbme 3 and 7 and got 212 and 221 respectively and got promptly terrified.However I managed to push through to Jan and two weeks before my test I did UWSA and got a predicted score of 245.Along with doing q bank I read MTB and step 2 secrets.Finally the day before the test I read through FA 100 high yield facts.I went to bed feeling worried and ended up sleeping just for 3 hours!I managed to stay alert and awake throughout the exam(adrenaline does that to you),took enough breaks.I didn't take any books to the test and refused to recheck my answers on my phone during the breaks.Finally the day was done and I went home feeling exhausted but relieved. 4 days back I got my results and I was surprised and pleased to see I got 244!!!!
.I know that 244 isn't an omg score like some of you in this forum with 260 and above but I'm proud of it considering my step 1 score.I know this is been a long ramble but please for all of you out there who don't test well and have lost hope,do read this post and know that you can do it.Its been a long road for me but I'm finally happy with myself and I hope that my experience will help someone out there feel a little more positive about their chances.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone,I'm a newbie here.I've been a silent observer of the forum for a long time.Anyways I just wanted to share my experience and hope that it helps someone.This post is mainly for those who don't test well.
I'm an IMG from India.I'm an average student.Got pretty ok scores throughout med school.Started preparing for step 1 in 2013.Due to certain family issues I was able to take the exam in May 2014.The biggest mistake I made was going to the exam when I wasn't ready.At that point I just wanted to be done with it and that was my downfall.I've never been a good test taker and I should've listened to my NBME scores.But alas, I went ahead and took it anyway, and 4 nerve racking weeks later I got my score....a paltry 213.Needless to say I was devastated but I really couldn't blame anyone but myself.Thankfully my husband had enough faith in me and I started my preparations for step 2 hoping that the clinical basis of the exam would make it easy.I read FA and did their Qbank with an average score of 67%.I did the Kaplan live online course, did the q bank with 68% avg.I read the Kaplan textbooks twice.I then purchased UWorld qbank which proved to be more challenging and started off with pretty good scores(70-80% in most of the tests).But then for some reason I started scoring poorly with some test score in the 40's!!! and that made me depressed enough to stop doing any tests for a while!My husband then started to ask me questions from the textbooks itself and as I stared answering I slowly regained my confidence.I continued with Uworld qbank and managed to score decently again.By now I had been preparing for almost a year.I finally scheduled my exam for Jan 2016.In Nov 2015 I did NBME 4 and got 237.In DEC I did nbme 3 and 7 and got 212 and 221 respectively and got promptly terrified.However I managed to push through to Jan and two weeks before my test I did UWSA and got a predicted score of 245.Along with doing q bank I read MTB and step 2 secrets.Finally the day before the test I read through FA 100 high yield facts.I went to bed feeling worried and ended up sleeping just for 3 hours!I managed to stay alert and awake throughout the exam(adrenaline does that to you),took enough breaks.I didn't take any books to the test and refused to recheck my answers on my phone during the breaks.Finally the day was done and I went home feeling exhausted but relieved. 4 days back I got my results and I was surprised and pleased to see I got 244!!!!
.I know that 244 isn't an omg score like some of you in this forum with 260 and above but I'm proud of it considering my step 1 score.I know this is been a long ramble but please for all of you out there who don't test well and have lost hope,do read this post and know that you can do it.Its been a long road for me but I'm finally happy with myself and I hope that my experience will help someone out there feel a little more positive about their chances.
Thanks for the post. Which books do you think helped you the most and which would you not recommend? Also, did you do the NBMEs timed and how was your timing on the actual exam?

Thanks for the post. Which books do you think helped you the most and which would you not recommend? Also, did you do the NBMEs timed and how was your timing on the actual exam?
Hi.I used First Aid,Kaplan course books,MTB 2 for internal medicine,MTB 3 for obgyn,peds and surgery,Step 2 secrets.I don't know what I wouldn't recommend.I did all my tests including the Qbanks and NBMEs timed because I knew it would teach me to think fast.As for the real test I would say I had to rush through the first and second block a bit, but after that I was able to finish the blocks atleast 2-5 mins before the end of block time. One more thing I did was do 2 NBMEs on the same day to try to simulate an 8 hour test.I did that with my Uworld tests also i.e had to do 8 blocks of 44 questions on the same day. The exam is really like an endurance race, you have to have enough practice doing 8 hour tests. I wish you all the best with your preparations :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi.I used First Aid,Kaplan course books,MTB 2 for internal medicine,MTB 3 for obgyn,peds and surgery,Step 2 secrets.I don't know what I wouldn't recommend.I did all my tests including the Qbanks and NBMEs timed because I knew it would teach me to think fast.As for the real test I would say I had to rush through the first and second block a bit, but after that I was able to finish the blocks atleast 2-5 mins before the end of block time. One more thing I did was do 2 NBMEs on the same day to try to simulate an 8 hour test.I did that with my Uworld tests also i.e had to do 8 blocks of 44 questions on the same day. The exam is really like an endurance race, you have to have enough practice doing 8 hour tests. I wish you all the best with your preparations :)
Ok, thanks. I have all the books you mentioned but I don't want to spread myself too thin. First Aid is a pretty thick book. How did you use that along with MTB 2 and 3? Did you only use certain sections of that book?

Also, do you recommend all the Kaplan course books? I have them but found them to be very dense with information.

Ok, thanks. I have all the books you mentioned but I don't want to spread myself too thin. First Aid is a pretty thick book. How did you use that along with MTB 2 and 3? Did you only use certain sections of that book?

Also, do you recommend all the Kaplan course books? I have them but found them to be very dense with information.
HI. To be honest I didn't really like FA for step 2.It was too much prose rather than focus on high yield points like it did for step 1.I read it once but didn't have the patience to go through it the 2nd time.I read MTB 2 for internal medicine and 3 for other subjects because thats what I read online.While doing questions I got to know my weak areas and could go back to MTB and figure out why I made the mistake.Also the UWorld answers have really nice explanations.My husband kept asking me questions from Kaplan textbooks for eg: I would read endocrine chapter and he would quiz me from the textbook.Yes its dense with info but I had to make sure to read it properly at least once.The surgery textbook is nice because its in question and answer format.

HI. To be honest I didn't really like FA for step 2.It was too much prose rather than focus on high yield points like it did for step 1.I read it once but didn't have the patience to go through it the 2nd time.I read MTB 2 for internal medicine and 3 for other subjects because thats what I read online.While doing questions I got to know my weak areas and could go back to MTB and figure out why I made the mistake.Also the UWorld answers have really nice explanations.My husband kept asking me questions from Kaplan textbooks for eg: I would read endocrine chapter and he would quiz me from the textbook.Yes its dense with info but I had to make sure to read it properly at least once.The surgery textbook is nice because its in question and answer format.
I appreciate you elaborating on how you used these materials.

Has anyone used Yale-G? Is it a good resource?

Cong!

Got a 260. Studied for 3 weeks only with UWorld.

UWorld: 75% (by subject, timed)
NBME 3 (2 weeks out): 240
UWSA (9 days out): 262
NBME 6 (5 days out): 264

UWSA was the best predictor. Didn't use any other resources, and didn't have time to do all my incorrects. Did complete UWorld 100%. Closed to the end, my blocks averaged in the low 80%s.

Got a 260. Studied for 3 weeks only with UWorld.

UWorld: 75% (by subject, timed)
NBME 3 (2 weeks out): 240
UWSA (9 days out): 262
NBME 6 (5 days out): 264

UWSA was the best predictor. Didn't use any other resources, and didn't have time to do all my incorrects. Did complete UWorld 100%. Closed to the end, my blocks averaged in the low 80%s.

Nice work bruh. How'd you do on step 1 / shelf exams in general for comparison?

252 on Step 1. 70s-80s on most shelf exams. But I took a year off after 3rd year so when I took Step 2, I was 11 months out of clinics aka the first few blocks of Uworld, my score was in the 30-40% area because I was just wildly guessing.

Hi guys,

Just got done with Step 1. I have been reading CK threads from 2014-2015, I'm still confused about which book to buy. Should I get Step Up, FA, MTB 2, or MTB 3? I want one book not 2-3 books. I really liked depending on FA for Step 1 so I just want one book for CK too. Is UpToDate a book or online website?

Some students said that they didn't like MTB 2/3 since it has errors. I also came across some students who posted videos on youtube about CK, there's a video on youtube, in which one person used Step Up so now I think I should get Step Up too

So, the plan I came up with is to do UWqbank + Step Up book +UpToDate +NBMEs.

[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just got done with Step 1. I have been reading CK threads from 2014-2015, I'm still confused about which book to buy. Should I get Step Up, FA, MTB 2, or MTB 3? I want one book not 2-3 books. I really liked depending on FA for Step 1 so I just want one book for CK too. Is UpToDate a book or online website?

Some students said that they didn't like MTB 2/3 since it has errors. I also came across some students who posted videos on youtube about CK, there's a video on youtube, in which one person used Step Up so now I think I should get Step Up too

So, the plan I came up with is to do UWqbank + Step Up book +UpToDate +NBMEs.

[/MEDIA]

This is a very solid plan. I read the Kaplan notes and MTB2/3, but yes there are a lot of errors and its outdated. I did find the IM sections helpful and very informative though. I skimmed through Step up to medicine and its a very solid book (But has no non-IM topics). Use Uworld as your "bible" like you used FA for step 1. If anything remains unclear on Uworld, supplement with Uptodate. To add, I'm a US IMG who scored a 268 on CK 2 months ago.

This is a very solid plan. I read the Kaplan notes and MTB2/3, but yes there are a lot of errors and its outdated. I did find the IM sections helpful and very informative though. I skimmed through Step up to medicine and its a very solid book (But has no non-IM topics). Use Uworld as your "bible" like you used FA for step 1. If anything remains unclear on Uworld, supplement with Uptodate. To add, I'm a US IMG who scored a 268 on CK 2 months ago.

Thank you DoctorAP28 for replying. I was waiting for someone to reply so I can purchase Step Up on amazon. Congrats for achieving such great score. Is this the Uptodate website we use to search for topics, http://www.uptodate.com/home ?

anyone else get the 44 x6 blocks, 42 x1 block, and 20 x1 block set of questions? thought that was weird since I've been reading it was 32 instead of 20

Why do so many people recommend MTB 3 in addition to/in place of MTB2?

I found that it was better organized and had more updated Info. I used MTB2 for IM things and MTB3 for all other subjects.Also MTB3 has nice charts in it summarizing some of the stuff thats in MTB2. I find chart form more useful for comparison

So you guys only recommend MTB2 and MTB3 with uworld? Does that mean FA is a waste of time? And what about step up to medicine, I heard its good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you guys only recommend MTB2 and MTB3 with uworld? Does that mean FA is a waste of time? And what about step up to medicine, I heard its good?

I used Step up to Medicine during my IM rotation and made my own notes from it. For CK I used my past notes and MTB2/3 and U world. Thats more than enough resources. you don't want to confuse yourself with too many resources. Better to stick to 2 books + U world, and know those inside out. I also never used or even opened up FA, so i can't comment on how good it was.

Very valuable to actually read the explanations in U world. Yes it takes time, but trust me its a great resource. Know the charts and flow charts very well.

I also suggest doing U world timed. CK has some very long question stems. Learn to pull info from the stem and skim over the rest. Don't spend all your time reading every little thing. If you practise this now, come exam day this will relieve a lot of stress

Final Fantasy, sorry for that.I know how horrible that feeling is but never give up.
When did you take your exam? I'm supposed to get my score today but nothing yet which stress me out.

Did anyone get step 2 CK score release at the night?

for the blocks with less than 44 questions, how much time is given? is the time proportionally decreased, or do you still get the full hour?

for the blocks with less than 44 questions, how much time is given? is the time proportionally decreased, or do you still get the full hour?

Same amount of time .. Time does not change , question number per block can change but will not exceed 44 questions

for the recent test takers: how important would you see the NBMEs and clinical mastery assessment stuff? Not necessarily for score correlation, but more did you feel there was important "knowledge" inside?

for the recent test takers: how important would you see the NBMEs and clinical mastery assessment stuff? Not necessarily for score correlation, but more did you feel there was important "knowledge" inside?

Very very important..,,do all of CMS and every single nbme except 3.

Final Fantasy, sorry for that.I know how horrible that feeling is but never give up.
When did you take your exam? I'm supposed to get my score today but nothing yet which stress me out.

Did anyone get step 2 CK score release at the night?

I was thought I would be getting my score last Wednesday but didn't. Hoping to get it tomorrow morning. When did you take your test and did you end up getting your score last Wednesday?

I was thought I would be getting my score last Wednesday but didn't. Hoping to get it tomorrow morning. When did you take your test and did you end up getting your score last Wednesday?

I didn't get it last Wednesday :( . Hoping to get it today. I took the test on Feb. 19th what about you ?