Usmle RX or Kaplan Q bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so im starting with q banks pretty soon and needed some help. Before anything, i will get uworld 100%, but thats later on during my study period. Right now im trying to get a q bank that'll reinforce my concepts and make sure that im studying properly. So should i get the kaplan q bank or usmle rx? ive heard that rx is just to make sure that youre actually studying your first aid, so ive heard mixed reviews on whether to start it early bc you'll get one good read out of first aid, or towards the end so you'll be memorizing first aid properly(the nitty details), but if i keep rx towards the end, wont it be difficult to do with doing uworld as well? confused, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I understand that Uworld is the question bank that people most highly recommend and will save for their studies leading up to the exam, but what are the other options for qbanks?

I'm starting my second year in the fall, but like OP, I'm looking for another qbank to use to review old concepts (and also gain a better understanding of what sort of things will be tested and the nuances of USMLE question styles). Does anybody have any recommendations? Any qbanks that have good explanations as to why answers are right/wrong?

They are literally in the title of this thread.

So there's only 3 qbanks? I was asking because I thought there might be a couple of more. Also, I was hoping someone could give insight into which of the qbanks (besides Uworld) most closely resembles USMLE questions.

this is what i know, lol psai you're hilarious btw lmao, anyways, RX just to memorize FA, has poor explanations though, kaplan q bank has good explanations, but from what ive heard some of the questions are actually harder than the actual exam itself, and can ask extreme detail quesitons you dont need to know, and of course Uworld is king, but should be saved till th eend.

Reactions: 1 user
So there's only 3 qbanks? I was asking because I thought there might be a couple of more. Also, I was hoping someone could give insight into which of the qbanks (besides Uworld) most closely resembles USMLE questions.

All of your questions have been answered multiple times even in this very thread
Nope. Actually, they haven't even been answered once. You should just stick with classic responses to stupid questions that don't require any reading or understanding of previous posts in the thread, such as the following: "try using the search function, dumb@ass."

Nope. Actually, they haven't even been answered once. You should just stick with classic responses to stupid questions that don't require any reading or understanding of previous posts in the thread, such as the following: "try using the search function, dumb@ass."

@aspiringmd1015 @Desk_Jockey

I will do my best to answer your questions. I think at times other posters who have been here longer remember threads and assume they are easy to find using the search function. Some are not so easy to find though. If you want more info, there are definitely more threads and more discussion on this topic that can be found using the search function. Set it to filter just the Step 1 Forum.

Rx: It is not simply used for just memorizing FA. Most Rx questions are asked in a classic presentation format. They do not get tricky for the most part. Most of the NBME practice exam question stems and my question stems on the real deal were straight-forward, with only a few exceptions. The answers on the real deal were another matter though. Rx will help you get really good at recognizing the classic presentations of common diseases. There are some sketchy answers, and there are some incorrect facts in the explanations. Near the beginning of your prep (start of M2) this is a very useful question bank. Not so useful late in your prep (<3 months) if you not mastered UW and FA by that point. I think it has about 2,600 questions, but no self-assessments. If you search around for discount codes, I think you can still get a year long subscription for $99. I do not recommend annotating a lot from Rx into FA. Overall, this was the least useful of the question banks for me, but it was still useful. If I had to go back in time, I would still complete Rx. I would start this bank at the beginning of M2 doing questions in subject tutor non-timed mode corresponding to the block you are covering in class.

Kaplan: You will see things in this that you do not see in other question banks. Some of which is good, some is a waste of effort. I would go through this second, after Rx. I would complete Kaplan in subject tutor non-timed mode corresponding to the block you are covering in class, AND I would add questions from all previous blocks covered. Kaplan radiology, biochemistry/molecular biology, physiology, and behavioral is pretty good in my opinion. You will have to use discretion with respect to annotating and trying to remember some of the random details that Kaplan thinks is appropriate to test. I think the most important things to get from Kaplan are to see another question style and test your ability to answer questions by eliminating answers if you have never been exposed to a concept or a random fact. This was the second most useful question bank in my opinion.

UW: most useful question bank and it is not even close. No reason for me to go into details about this question bank except that I do not think it should be started until you have covered and mastered a significant amount of material. The questions mostly require integration and multi-step thinking. You will not get much from UW if you do not have a base knowledge. I differ from a lot of people in that I do not think a second pass of UW is high yield, especially if you are annotating things into your FA or some other document. Most people prefer random timed mode for UW in an attempt to simulate actual question blocks for the real deal. I think UW is a learning tool. I used tons of NBME practice exams, UWSA's, and Kaplan simulated exams to re-create the real thing. I can see the point of using UW like the real deal as much as possible though. By the time you get around to UW, you can certainly make up your own mind about this point. Just personal opinion.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 10 users