USMLE step 2 CS required before allopathic match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumptyDumptyMil

Almost done...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very specific question here. I was wondering if USMLE step 2 CS score reporting is required BEFORE MATCH DAY for general surgery allopathic programs? I already know some places do not consider your application without the the score report, and I am not planning on applying to these places.

I'm having difficulty getting in touch with the programs, and I would need to know ASAP because available test dates are limited. Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

Very specific question here. I was wondering if USMLE step 2 CS score reporting is required BEFORE MATCH DAY for general surgery allopathic programs? I already know some places do not consider your application without the the score report, and I am not planning on applying to these places.

I'm having difficulty getting in touch with the programs, and I would need to know ASAP because available test dates are limited. Thanks for the input

Ehh, I'm not sure why you would take CS. I've never heard of any program caring whether you took USMLE 2 CS or COMLEX 2 PE, as long as you passed. Am I missing something here?

Programs that care about USMLE will probably look for your CK score rather than CS. I THINK, that as long as you pass PE, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would suspect that anyone from a residency program telling you that you can't apply because you didn't take USMLE Step 2 CS is either misinformed or not going to take you anyway. I would get your information from someone higher up than a program coordinator or secretary if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard back from some programs after posting, and for future reference for people who may have similar questions after me. This is specifically for allopathic general surgery programs:

YES some programs require proof that you have PASSED USMLE step2 CS BEFORE APPLYING (including osteopathic applicants) This was confirmed by program directors if there was any confusion.

YES, some programs DO NOT consider osteopathic applicants.

Fortunately, most of the programs seemed very receptive and understanding of being and osteopathic applicant. We will see how many interviews I am granted.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard back from some programs after posting, and for future reference for people who may have similar questions after me. This is specifically for allopathic general surgery programs:

YES some programs require proof that you have PASSED USMLE step2 CS BEFORE APPLYING (including osteopathic applicants) This was confirmed by program directors if there was any confusion.

YES, some programs DO NOT consider osteopathic applicants.

Fortunately, most of the programs seemed very receptive and understanding of being and osteopathic applicant. We will see how many interviews I am granted.

It's ridiculous that you have to take the CS to be considered. The CS exam (as well as COMLEX-PE) is basically political posturing by the AMA/ACGME and AOA, not a true measure of your skills or knowledge as a physician.

I've always advocated osteopathic students taking the -written- USMLE exams for competitive ACGME residencies, but this seems silly. Unfortunately, if they say they won't consider you without it, and you really want to go to these places, I suppose you have no choice. Good luck...

Last edited:
what about the step 2 written exam? If you are applying to allopathic residencies, do you have to take it, if you already have taken step I?

what about the step 2 written exam? If you are applying to allopathic residencies, do you have to take it, if you already have taken step I?

Short answer: depends on the program.

I think most people will say you don't need to take it. However, if you're shooting for a moderately competitive field, it probably won't hurt you unless you end up bombing it...