BOTH USMLE Step 2 for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoneyB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know variations of this question have been asked before, but I recently got my USMLE step 1 score and need some advice. I'm an average DO student at my school, got a 543 on COMLEX L1 and only a 212 on USMLE S1. I was expecting to do about average since that's how I did on my practice exams, and am really disappointed in my score.

My question is, if I want to apply to IM for the ACGME match in order to later do a specialty fellowship, should I take USMLE S2 and try to do better or just concentrate on rocking COMLEX L2? I'm worried that I will spend all the time and money getting ready for S2 and do bad on that one, too. The reason I took it in the first place is that I wanted to keep all my options open, which now has obviously backfired.

Would I be better off just applying to AOA residencies? Which specialties am I competitive for with a 543? Do I have to give up my dream of specializing in something that isn't primary care? Any advice is appreciated.
+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

I think 543 is competitive for almost any AOA residency, especially IM. I would do USMLE step 2, from what I heard it was more straightforward than Comlex 2. I did both as well, and plan on using UWORLD Step 2 in conjunction with my rotations, so taking USMLE step 2 won't be a big deal.