USMLE Transcript and what Program Directors See

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intmed2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming IM resident but recently found out I failed CS on first attempt. I have been working with my school administration to see how it can be possible despite a solid clinical record. My residency PD is aware and has told me I just need to retake it. Since many of you have been on the "other side", I was wondering how much of a red flag this is on a transcript of an AMG coming from a mid tier academic program applying to fellowship. Do fellowship PD care about multiple attempts on CS?

I am still trying to figure out how this all could have happened. Most likely, I will need to retake it during intern year. Few people seem to have an idea because in the past it was assumed to be automatic pass for American grads. However, the number of failures has greatly increased recently.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an incoming IM resident but recently found out I failed CS on first attempt. I have been working with my school administration to see how it can be possible despite a solid clinical record. My residency PD is aware and has told me I just need to retake it. Since many of you have been on the "other side", I was wondering how much of a red flag this is on a transcript of an AMG coming from a mid tier academic program applying to fellowship. Do fellowship PD care about multiple attempts on CS?

I am still trying to figure out how this all could have happened. Most likely, I will need to retake it during intern year. Few people seem to have an idea because in the past it was assumed to be automatic pass for American grads. However, the number of failures has greatly increased recently.

It happens. I've known some excellent folks that this happened to. Just retake it. Chips fall where they may. It won't be a huge deal for fellowship.

We will see everything on your USMLE transcript including failures. If you pass it on attempt 2, no big deal (unless you screw up elsewhere during residency). If you fail it a 2nd time...you've got some problems.