USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

When i click on my permit it says "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." Does that mean I'll get more score wed? What time?

When i click on my permit it says "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." Does that mean I'll get more score wed? What time?

Usually the permit disappears the tuesday before you are supposed to get your score, indicating your score will be released. Not sure if that is 100%, but that seems to be the general consensus.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get an email saying your score is ready, then you check the website. Scores though are sometimes on the website before the actual email. Good Luck.

Thanks! Is it the same website where we print our scheduling permit or is it another site?

I took it yesterday. Afterward I was beyond drained. I have no idea how I did. It felt like world except the question stems were LONG. Way longer than world. There were a couple of short ones but most took forever to skim. I ran out of time the first block and had to guess on ~5 questions. You really have to work fast and keep your pace.
I almost pushed it back on Friday because I slacked this whole month and felt guilty/anxious the last 2 days but I figured it was now or never. I just didn't have the motivation to study hard like I did for step 1. Also, receiving/waiting for interview invites is a huge distractor. If I were to plan it differently, I definitely would have chosen to take it a different month! But whatever.

Had 4 weeks. Took several days off, maybe even a week if I think about it. Only studied 2 hours on some days and 8 on others. Did world, read SUTS2 (which was a waste of 4-5 days) and secrets. I do recommend Secrets. Sort of wish I read it twice but ran out of time. I also wish I could have done all my incorrect world questions again but I procrastinated and ran out of time.

Step 1 251
USMLE practice test 234? (Don't remember exactly- took it 8 wks ago- a month before starting to study)
UW 80% on tutor mode after I reset it from using it during 3rd year (I did have ~700 med ?s I didn't do the 1st time around)

I'll update in a month with my score.

273/88
I was shocked. I didn't feel like I studied very hard. I guess 2months, 2weeks, #2 pencil still holds true.

Reactions: 1 user
got my score back today...221/80.
At rotation now but will update my scores and what i did later. I can at least say that my scores were pretty much on par with my NBME 3 and UWSA scores I took in the week prior to my exam so these were awesome predictors for me.

Since I looked at this thread a bit, I feel I should contribute:

Me: US allopath at a "bottom-40" med school
Step 1: 239
Shelf Scores: Pretty much all of them right around 80 give or take 2
USMLE-World Avg: 74% (90% complete)
Step 2 score: 255 (2-digit = 85)

Step 2 studying: 2.5 weeks of dedicated studying, about 8-10 hours a day of medium productivity - that is, work for an hour, take 15+ minutes off to stare into space, repeat. Took about 2 or 3 half-days off and 1 full day off. Got through 90% of USMLE-World, random, timed, blocks of 44 or whatever the max number was. I didn't use USMLE-World during M3 year, nor did I use any other question bank; thus, all the USMLE-World questions were new to me. My USMLE-world cumulative score ended up being 74%; had I finished all the questions I might have ended up with a 75%. I didn't bother with any of the NBME exams or the "assessment exam" that I see people mention on here. I read Step up to Step 2 once - it took me almost the entire 2.5 weeks to get through it since I'm a slow reader and it was a boring book. I did read all the USMLE-World answer explanations very carefully which took forever - I rarely finished more than 3 question blocks per day.

If I were to do it again: I would try much harder to finish USMLE-World - it was very helpful. I don't think I would have bothered with SUtS2 - most of it was pretty worthless. I would probably initially do half of USMLE-World and then only read chapters out of one of the review books that I was scoring low on (eg, renal) while finishing the other half. Somehow I would try to be more productive and finish USMLE-World and go through incorrect answers again and maybe read some other review book in its entirety - but that's probably unrealistic for me based off my previous study habits throughout med school.

Bottom line: If you're satisfied with your shelf scores and just want to maintain a comparable CK score, I think taking 2-3 weeks to study for Step 2 and only doing USMLE-World is plenty sufficient. I guess if you want to improve significantly from your shelf scores, something extra should probably be done. I think the marginal return on study investment beyond 3 weeks and beyond USMLE-World is incredibly low - but I guess if you have the time and mental stamina and have big ambitions for the match, it might be worth doing the extra studying.

Since I looked at this thread a bit, I feel I should contribute:

Me: US allopath at a "bottom-40" med school
Step 1: 239
Shelf Scores: Pretty much all of them right around 80 give or take 2
USMLE-World Avg: 74% (90% complete)
Step 2 score: 255 (2-digit = 85)

Step 2 studying: 2.5 weeks of dedicated studying, about 8-10 hours a day of medium productivity - that is, work for an hour, take 15+ minutes off to stare into space, repeat. Took about 2 or 3 half-days off and 1 full day off. Got through 90% of USMLE-World, random, timed, blocks of 44 or whatever the max number was. I didn't use USMLE-World during M3 year, nor did I use any other question bank; thus, all the USMLE-World questions were new to me. My USMLE-world cumulative score ended up being 74%; had I finished all the questions I might have ended up with a 75%. I didn't bother with any of the NBME exams or the "assessment exam" that I see people mention on here. I read Step up to Step 2 once - it took me almost the entire 2.5 weeks to get through it since I'm a slow reader and it was a boring book. I did read all the USMLE-World answer explanations very carefully which took forever - I rarely finished more than 3 question blocks per day.

If I were to do it again: I would try much harder to finish USMLE-World - it was very helpful. I don't think I would have bothered with SUtS2 - most of it was pretty worthless. I would probably initially do half of USMLE-World and then only read chapters out of one of the review books that I was scoring low on (eg, renal) while finishing the other half. Somehow I would try to be more productive and finish USMLE-World and go through incorrect answers again and maybe read some other review book in its entirety - but that's probably unrealistic for me based off my previous study habits throughout med school.

Bottom line: If you're satisfied with your shelf scores and just want to maintain a comparable CK score, I think taking 2-3 weeks to study for Step 2 and only doing USMLE-World is plenty sufficient. I guess if you want to improve significantly from your shelf scores, something extra should probably be done. I think the marginal return on study investment beyond 3 weeks and beyond USMLE-World is incredibly low - but I guess if you have the time and mental stamina and have big ambitions for the match, it might be worth doing the extra studying.

Congrats for the great score. I wanna ask a question that might be silly or been discussed before. What is new about the scoring system in USMLE parts 1,2 and 3. I noticed people gets 230+ and a 2 digit score that is not 99. Though the conversion table I saw on USMLE website suggests that >=229 approximately equal to 99. Could you please explain a bit? And for thoes who re taking the exam after the date of changes, how much should I get on 3 digit score to get 2 digit score of 99, or the 2 digit score has been lowered in order to eleminate it's use in the future, as it is recommended to use the 3 digit score for PDs.

Thanks

Congrats for the great score. I wanna ask a question that might be silly or been discussed before. What is new about the scoring system in USMLE parts 1,2 and 3. I noticed people gets 230+ and a 2 digit score that is not 99. Though the conversion table I saw on USMLE website suggests that >=229 approximately equal to 99. Could you please explain a bit? And for thoes who re taking the exam after the date of changes, how much should I get on 3 digit score to get 2 digit score of 99, or the 2 digit score has been lowered in order to eleminate it's use in the future, as it is recommended to use the 3 digit score for PDs.

Thanks

There's a bulletin on usmle.org that explains this...as well as previous posts in this thread.

There's a bulletin on usmle.org that explains this...as well as previous posts in this thread.

Would you please provide a link to the one on usmle website. I referred to the conversion table on USMLE website, but the scores I saw on sdn don't match that explanation.

Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you please provide a link to the one on usmle website. I referred to the conversion table on USMLE website, but the scores I saw on sdn don't match that explanation.

Thank you for the help.

There's an entire thread for this subject 7 posts below this thread on the list of topics.

Anyone got their scores today?? Is it always 3 weeks?? I am nervous about getting my score, did not finish many of the blocks ran out of time a lot. in anyone else walked out sure that they failed it, but passed at the end?

Last edited:
Anyone got their scores today?? Is it always 3 weeks?? I am nervous about getting my score, did not finish many of the blocks ran out of time a lot. in anyone else walked out sure that they failed it, but passed at the end?

lol thats probably almost everyone who walks out of the step 2.

To add another data point to all of the scores on here:

1) Step 2 study time: about 3 weeks. 2 or 3 UW blocks/day where I read about 90% of the explanations. Skipped the obvious question explanations.
2) UW % on timed, random mode (never did them during 3rd year): ~ 70-75% depending on the block
3) UWSA: 262
4) Step 2: 263. Feeling like garbage after the test is expected. You perseverate on the questions you think you missed instead of focusing on the questions you got right. Specifically, I had about 6 combo questions where you could not go back and change the first answer choice. 3/6 times I missed the first question, so I was really angry after the test.

I am fairly confident based on other's experiences and my own, that UWSA is the best predictor of your actual performance.

Got my score 2 weeks ago, forgot to post due to interviews. Plus I wanted to give back because this forum has helped me so much.

Step 1: 244
Step 2: 256 :D

Studied for 4 wks with World questions avg 71%, completed 96%, random tutor mode and read Secrets.
NBME 3: 251 (1 week out)
UWSA: 263 (2 days out)

I was hoping for +260 but I am happy with my score because I felt like crap after the test.

Last edited:
Got my score today. Took it exactly 3 weeks ago..

step 1: 238/99
step 2: 242/83

Can somebody explain how my 2 digit score is so low compared to my 3 digit score? I feel like its an error in discrepancy. Should I ask USMLE to regrade? Thanks for any advice

Got my score today. Took it exactly 3 weeks ago..

step 1: 238/99
step 2: 242/83

Can somebody explain how my 2 digit score is so low compared to my 3 digit score? I feel like its an error in discrepancy. Should I ask USMLE to regrade? Thanks for any advice

Please read the usmle.org website. There has been a change in scoring pattern and the correlation between 2 and 3 digit scores. They will not send out the 2 digit scores to programs.

To add another data point to all of the scores on here:

1) Step 2 study time: about 3 weeks. 2 or 3 UW blocks/day where I read about 90% of the explanations. Skipped the obvious question explanations.
2) UW % on timed, random mode (never did them during 3rd year): ~ 70-75% depending on the block
3) UWSA: 262
4) Step 2: 263. Feeling like garbage after the test is expected. You perseverate on the questions you think you missed instead of focusing on the questions you got right. Specifically, I had about 6 combo questions where you could not go back and change the first answer choice. 3/6 times I missed the first question, so I was really angry after the test.

I am fairly confident based on other's experiences and my own, that UWSA is the best predictor of your actual performance.
did you do the free 150 questions of nbme and what were your percentages on it

Study time: 3.5 weeks during a light rotation

Step 1: 257/99
Step 2: 272/88

Study strategy:
UWorld x 1.3. First 60-70% of UWorld was by section in problem areas (Ob/Gyn, Renal, etc.). The last 30-40% was mixed sets of 44. Final: ~76%. Only read explanations of answers I got wrong, questions I didn't feel comfortable with, and questions I knew the answer to but didn't know the reason. Reset and then re-did 30% of UWorld about a week before. I stopped, because I was remembering too many of the questions.

First Aid x 1. Broad overview. Good for refreshing concepts, but probably not enough.

MGH Pocket Medicine x 1. The details on the diagnostic work up are pretty sweet. I flip through the green book in my spare time (yeah, it's weird; get over it), so I can't quite remember how much of the detailed management was on Step II. I do remember that I never had trouble with management questions, on UWorld or on the test.

UpToDate: For all recurrent themes on UWorld, I read the UpToDate article at least once. I thought that UWorld was too focused on the answer choices for the question and not enough of an overview of the topic. Pretty much, if you memorize the UWorld answer, you'll only be able to get questions that are variations of it on test day.

Practice tests:
Every 4-5 days. Write down tough questions and look them up later.
1: 258
2: 244 (that was concerning)
UWSA: 263
4: 272
3: 263

Test day: Finished almost every block with enough time to flip through questions from the beginning. Only did one time check at the halfway point to determine if I had to up my pace. Every block, there were ~5 questions that I had down to two answer choices. For most of these, I wasn't totally sure what the question was asking. For the remainder, I felt like I would do two things at the same time, and the question specifically asked what the next step was. I usually didn't mark these unless I thought I could reason it out. I did 2 blocks at a time with one short and two long breaks: Lunch between blocks 4 and 5, long break between 6 and 7.

Study time: 3.5 weeks during a light rotation

Step 1: 257/99
Step 2: 272/88

Study strategy:
UWorld x 1.3. First 60-70% of UWorld was by section in problem areas (Ob/Gyn, Renal, etc.). The last 30-40% was mixed sets of 44. Final: ~76%. Only read explanations of answers I got wrong, questions I didn't feel comfortable with, and questions I knew the answer to but didn't know the reason. Reset and then re-did 30% of UWorld about a week before. I stopped, because I was remembering too many of the questions.

First Aid x 1. Broad overview. Good for refreshing concepts, but probably not enough.

MGH Pocket Medicine x 1. The details on the diagnostic work up are pretty sweet. I flip through the green book in my spare time (yeah, it's weird; get over it), so I can't quite remember how much of the detailed management was on Step II. I do remember that I never had trouble with management questions, on UWorld or on the test.

UpToDate: For all recurrent themes on UWorld, I read the UpToDate article at least once. I thought that UWorld was too focused on the answer choices for the question and not enough of an overview of the topic. Pretty much, if you memorize the UWorld answer, you'll only be able to get questions that are variations of it on test day.

Practice tests:
Every 4-5 days. Write down tough questions and look them up later.
1: 258
2: 244 (that was concerning)
UWSA: 263
4: 272
3: 263

Test day: Finished almost every block with enough time to flip through questions from the beginning. Only did one time check at the halfway point to determine if I had to up my pace. Every block, there were ~5 questions that I had down to two answer choices. For most of these, I wasn't totally sure what the question was asking. For the remainder, I felt like I would do two things at the same time, and the question specifically asked what the next step was. I usually didn't mark these unless I thought I could reason it out. I did 2 blocks at a time with one short and two long breaks: Lunch between blocks 4 and 5, long break between 6 and 7.
Congrats for the score.so u dont think that doing uworld twice is going to be beneficial?

Pretty happy. But also pretty deep into the application process where it won't have much effect. Oh well.

Congrats for the score.so u dont think that doing uworld twice is going to be beneficial?

Thanks.

It depends on where you are. If you don't remember much from the first run through, then a second run is very important. If you are remembering questions and getting 90+% on all your mixed sets of 44, then the benefit is small.

i think investing in UW is the only $$ you need to spend. I did one NBME and it predicted a 218 one week out of my exam (I actually got a 260). The funniest thing was that afterwards one of my friends was talking to me about how he took one NBME as well, it predicted 225 and he got a 267. Granted he was 2 weeks before his exam, but give me a break, those things are garbage. My USMLE world percent was around 72 or 73% first time through. Thats way more indicative. Dont waste any more $$, save it for residency applications and travel. Thats where wasting money is justified.

i think investing in UW is the only $$ you need to spend. I did one NBME and it predicted a 218 one week out of my exam (I actually got a 260). The funniest thing was that afterwards one of my friends was talking to me about how he took one NBME as well, it predicted 225 and he got a 267. Granted he was 2 weeks before his exam, but give me a break, those things are garbage. My USMLE world percent was around 72 or 73% first time through. Thats way more indicative. Dont waste any more $$, save it for residency applications and travel. Thats where wasting money is justified.
these nbmes seem to correlate well with your scores then.just add 42 to your 3 digit scores on these tests and you would get your actual score in ck.it worked well for both you and your friend.

Figured I should post since I experienced a huge jump from my Step 1 score.

Step 1: 253/99
Step 2: 284/90

UW: 84% untimed tutor mode only. Finished during 3rd year and went through marked and incorrect questions during dedicated step 2 studying.

UWSA: 268 with 4 weeks left
NMBE 3: 250 with 3 weeks left
NMBE 4: 276 with 1 week left

Materials:
Kaplan notes during 3rd year
First Aid for Peds and Ob/Gyn
MTB Step 2
SUTM
Uptodate for any discrepancies between sources

Was able to get through most of the material during 3rd year, so my 3 weeks of dedicated Step 2 study was mostly all review.

Last edited:
what was your uworld percentage correct??

I plateaued at 75%.

Did all the questions 1 time through (roughly 1/2 of the questions during 3rd year rotations and the rest during my study period).

Did the self-assessment from UW (score 267). The SA was much easier than the actual test so the curve must have been significantly more generous on the actual test for me to get the same score. But, I consider the UWSA to be a great score predictor.

Didn't do any of the NBME practice tests.

Test Date: 11/10. Print permit disappeared overnight. Wednesday it is!

Step 2 CK: 267

No practice tests.

Shelf Scores:
Peds - 80
Neuro - 86
Psych - 84
Ob/Gyn - 90
Medicine - 81
Surgery - 92
Family Med - 94

Study schedule:
I took a pretty relaxed 4 weeks of studying - meaning I took a few weekends completely off and had a few random weekdays with visitors in town which meant no studying. I read the first 3 chapters of SUTM, the quick review section of FA, and did all of UWorld. I meant to do more but I found that UWorld was taking me forever to complete 2-3 blocks per day. My cumulative percentage on UWorld was 78%.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Also, sorry if this has been addressed before, but in general do you guys recommend the UWSA or NBME for a practice exam?

I'm taking Step 2CK in ~2 weeks. I'm about 45% through UWorld, and have been reading slowly through Step Up to Medicine (after reading slowly through MTB during a light rotation). Should I abandon SUTM? I'm about halfway through it and I'm not sure how beneficial it is. Should I grab a copy of Step Up to Step 2 and breeze through that?

To put things in perspective, I got a 255/99 on Step I. I'm applying in derm. I realize it's pretty late in the game so I don't think my score will influence things too much either way, and I selected the "do not automatically update" option so programs won't know my Step 2 score until I manually release them anyway. So I guess maybe doing really well on Step 2 could help if programs have my score in time for making their rank lists, but otherwise I feel like it's not worth worrying so much over. I was thinking of extending my study time by a week or so, but should I just pull the trigger and get it over with?

FWIW my cumulative UWorld average is 78%, mostly on timed tutor but some on just timed mode. My weaknesses are definitely surgery and OB/Gyn (~70% on each).

Last edited:
Dude you are going to kill it with a 78% avg on WORLD so far. And like you said, it doesn't matter since it is late in the game. But it might affect ROL, but I know a lot of dermies don't take Step 2 until late Jan and early Feb. So it could be a moot point.

took test a couple of days ago and it was really difficult.step 1 seemed easier with plenty of time left at the end of each block.there were a lot of questions where i could narrow down the answer to 2 choices and then had to guess to choose one.going by the rules of probability if i had 150 such questions i would have missed half of these as these were pure guesses and 75 wrong answers(+many where i couldnt even narrow down or just missed without knowing)makes me feel i have screwed up big time. i know people do tell how bad they felt after step 2 but i just had to guess on all these questions and there was no logic involved when i had to choose one of the choices.was quite confident while going to exam.had an average of 79+ on uworld and scored 261 on UWSA but neither of the two were as tough as the real thing.i hoped to score 250 plus and dont score lower than step 1 ie 253 but it seems improbable now.have to wait for 3 week

My print permit links disappeared on Thursday!! does this mean I might get my score tomorrow?? I am so scared; I just want to see that I passed!! What time does the report become available?

Also, sorry if this has been addressed before, but in general do you guys recommend the UWSA or NBME for a practice exam?

I'm taking Step 2CK in ~2 weeks. I'm about 45% through UWorld, and have been reading slowly through Step Up to Medicine (after reading slowly through MTB during a light rotation). Should I abandon SUTM? I'm about halfway through it and I'm not sure how beneficial it is. Should I grab a copy of Step Up to Step 2 and breeze through that?

To put things in perspective, I got a 255/99 on Step I. I'm applying in derm. I realize it's pretty late in the game so I don't think my score will influence things too much either way, and I selected the "do not automatically update" option so programs won't know my Step 2 score until I manually release them anyway. So I guess maybe doing really well on Step 2 could help if programs have my score in time for making their rank lists, but otherwise I feel like it's not worth worrying so much over. I was thinking of extending my study time by a week or so, but should I just pull the trigger and get it over with?

FWIW my cumulative UWorld average is 78%, mostly on timed tutor but some on just timed mode. My weaknesses are definitely surgery and OB/Gyn (~70% on each).

So here's where I stand now. I take Step 2 next Tuesday, so I have a little under a week left. Also, I have an interview this Friday (with a dinner the night before, Thursday), so I don't think I'll get much done either of those days (hopefully will get some questions done on Thursday at least before traveling). So that leaves me with 4 solid days of studying I'd say.

I have 550 UWorld questions to go. The last 15 tests (44 questions, timed, random) have been between 75 and 88%, with a slight trend upward overall (last 4 were all 84-86%). I still feel like surgery and OB/Gyn are my two bigger "weaknesses" overall (aside from a bunch of other little things like lysosomal storage disease and crap like that). So I'm wondering where my priorities should be at this point.

-Just plow through as much UWorld as possible and forget everything else?
-Blow through Pestana surgery notes in an afternoon (or however long it takes)?
-Read the Master The Boards Surgery and OB/Gyn sections again?
-Any particularly high yield sections of SUTM I should look over again?

I know I'm obviously scoring pretty decent on practice blocks, but I feel like there's a lot of lucky guessing involved, and I don't want to be feeling that way on the real test date.

Edit: I know my Step 2 score doesn't matter a TON at this point in the game, but I would like to be able to release an impressive score to Derm programs to hope it might nudge me up on at least a few rank lists or whatever. I don't want to go down from my Step 1 score (255), and I'd be happy with anything >260.

Just got my score back-- 275/89!

Preparation consisted of doing the entire USMLEWorld qbank one time, 44 question blocks / timed / unused, high 80s overall percentage. Also read USMLE Step 2 Secrets, which I really liked. It really is a test of "what you pick up in 3rd year" because a lot of the answers I got right just from knowing something that I learned on the wards or during my Emergency Medicine subinternships (that was very helpful). Good luck everyone!

Step 1 uworld average: 72%
Step 1 score: 248

Step 2 uworld average: 72%
Step 2 score: 258/86

Had a light rotation the month before my exam so I read crush step 2 and then did uworld blocks of 44 (only finished 85% of questions). It felt way easier than step 1, if you work hard in 3rd year and do a decent amount of review you will do fine.

Just and FYI --

I took Step 2 on 11/18. Got scores today.

Step 1 (june 2007): 234 (which was better back then because the averages have gone up soooo much!)

Step 2 (nov 2011): 254

I think the long break for my PhD probably made test taking harder. But i only had about 10 days to study, so Im happy!

Aw man, my scheduling permit disappeared earlier in the week, but still no score, I was hoping it would come out today. Took the test on 11/22. Reporting seems to be always on Wednesdays, right? Guess I'll have to wait another week.

step 1: 238;
Step 2 UWORLD average: 73% (only did 44% of the Q)
UWSA: 243 (3 weeks out, before any studying)
Studying plan: 3 weeks (ended up more like 2 weeks) of UWorld Qbank (only did 44% of the bank timed, random blocks of 44 Q). Tried reading SU but did not get through it all.

Actual Step 2: 250.
Is it bad that the score did not increase a lot?? From what I am reading here it sounds like most pple have 20-30 points higher than step 1.

250 is a good score. The most recent score report shows a mean of 233 and SD of 22, meaning you are almost a standard deviation above most test takers. Just because you didn't jump 30 points doesn't mean you should hang you head. Be proud!

Realize that most people on this thread have astronomical scores and you should avoid judging yourself based on SDN.

Got my scores today, just wanted to add some numbers to the thread.

Step 1: 243
Step 2: 262 :D

-Studied for 2.5 weeks for about 8-10 hours/day.
-UWorld, made it though 90% (only some medicine questions left), average 72% with a definite upward trend in the last week.
-Also read through Secrets x2 (liked this book, seemed pretty high yield), and the day before looked at the high yield section, images, and margin notes in First Aid (which probably didn't do much but made me feel better).
-Year 3 shelves raw scores were mostly in the 80s, a few low 90s.

Hope that helps, not a huge score like some of the ones on here, but still pretty psyched!

Reactions: 1 user