USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my score today.

Funny story (in retrospect): I started feeling like crap the day before the exam. I knew I was getting sick, and thought it was just my luck... I wasn't sure whether I felt well enough to take the exam that night before. But when I woke up in the morning, I thought I felt better, so I decided to go ahead.

That was probably a mistake. I started to develop a fever while I was taking the test, and got that wonderful foggy-mind feeling you get when you're like that, plus I started getting some back pain... I started to get so uncomfortable that I found myself focusing intently on what each question was telling me, and what it wasn't... but I was so hazy I had to re-read a bunch of questions. I marked 5-10 in each block (or around that), but when I went back to look at them, I realized that in the state I was in, there wasn't much point in dwelling on questions. I blazed through the test faster than I'd done any practice exams because of how crummy I felt, and finished around 3:30 or so. I got home, couldn't get comfortable, and thought, "I have never felt this sick in my whole life!" I went to the local ER, where I had a temp of 103, pulse in the 140's (my resting is 50-60), and a white count of 18.7. Yeah, I was a little bit sick! (It was a total zebra diagnosis, and I'm now back to normal, thankfully.)

Step 1: 249

Step 2: 243

Uworld: 67%, 77th percentile. (Went through all questions once, during 3rd year, and maybe reviewed 1-200 questions that I missed)
Reading: Step Up to Medicine, Step Up to Step 2, Master the Boards for Step 3 (free book I got a couple years ago) - Used the CramFighter app for iPhone to plan out my reading, which is a great app, but probably overkill, especially for Step 2 CK.
NBME CCSSA (pencil and paper version): 250+, 3 weeks before
UWSA: 242, 3-4 days prior

I think I would have been much better off focusing on UWorld rather than all the reading I did. For me, I think Uworld made things stick a lot better, and if I'd used it similarly to how I used it studying for Step 1, or spent more effort going through the questions I missed in the couple of weeks before the exam, I'd have probably got a better score on Step 2. Getting that 250+ estimate on the seemingly inaccurate pencil-and-paper CCSSA killed a lot of my motivation those last few weeks as well...

I do think the reading solidified a lot of the things I learned in 3rd year. That may pay off eventually, but it wasn't the best/most efficient way to prepare for the exam.

The exam itself is a beast. Those 8 blocks just kill you by the end. Being sick didn't help that any.

I would have liked to score higher than my Step 1, but I should be fine for what I want to do; and given how sick I was, it could have gone very badly. I will take my score and be happy!

Took the test 6/22 got my score today. UW average was ~75%, relatively constant throughout. Actual score was 264. Big step up for me from my step 1 (>30 points).

To those asking about report days/times: According to the NBME site when I logged in last week, they are running behind because the 4th of July was on a Wednesday, and they didn't release any scores that day. I don't know when/if they will get back to the 3 week usual schedule. The email from them stated that they usually release around 11am EST. The previous comments about the 'print permit' disappearing prior to score release held true for me as well.

Seems like Step 1 score releases are still on the 3 week schedule. Wonder why only Step 2 is running a week behind. And great score btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 223
Step 2 247

Best way to study is Uworld, uworld again, and then pick whatever other book you want to supplement. I chose secrets because it was the easiest read and quite frankly I was getting lazy. Total study was about 5 weeks.

UWSA 4 weeks out - 232
NBME 2, 4 weeks out - 218
NBME 4, 4 days out - 239

Goodluck!!

Last edited:
To all of you taking your test soon... DON'T BE DISCOURAGED!!! :)

Used DIT + Step up to Step 2 as my base to study. Used UWorld all throughout 3rd year, but really did the bulk of my questions in the 3 weeks preceding my exam. Only went through the entire UWorld one time through. I used my vacation month to study for boards and studied for exactly 21 days before my USMLE. During the last week, I also read all of Step 2 Secrets. I researched topics that I was weak on, whether it be on the internet, in books I have, or from using the search option on UWorld (AMAZING feature I discovered only during my last week of studying). Took the NBME 4 practice test the day before I started studying (3 weeks before real exam), and was completely discouraged. Took UWSA 5 days before my test... Wanted to determine if I would follow through with my date or push it back. So glad I didn't. I was discouraged by all the posts on this site and similar.

Step 1: 219
NBME 4: 200
UWorld: 67%
UWSA: 247
Step 2: 246

Overall, sooo happy with my score! Good luck everyone!

To all of you taking your test soon... DON'T BE DISCOURAGED!!! :)

Used DIT + Step up to Step 2 as my base to study. Used UWorld all throughout 3rd year, but really did the bulk of my questions in the 3 weeks preceding my exam. Only went through the entire UWorld one time through. I used my vacation month to study for boards and studied for exactly 21 days before my USMLE. During the last week, I also read all of Step 2 Secrets. I researched topics that I was weak on, whether it be on the internet, in books I have, or from using the search option on UWorld (AMAZING feature I discovered only during my last week of studying). Took the NBME 4 practice test the day before I started studying (3 weeks before real exam), and was completely discouraged. Took UWSA 5 days before my test... Wanted to determine if I would follow through with my date or push it back. So glad I didn't. I was discouraged by all the posts on this site and similar.

Step 1: 219
NBME 4: 200
UWorld: 67%
UWSA: 247
Step 2: 246

Overall, sooo happy with my score! Good luck everyone!

congrats, jewels!!!

I'm taking the beast tomorrow :/

Step 1: 232
UW: 66%
NBME 2 (3 weeks ago) - 230
USWA (4 days ago): 245
NBME 4 (today): 251

all I've used are UW and Secrets. not ready for those 8 blocks, but. here's hoping...:(

congrats, jewels!!!

I'm taking the beast tomorrow :/

Step 1: 232
UW: 66%
NBME 2 (3 weeks ago) - 230
USWA (4 days ago): 245
NBME 4 (today): 251

all I've used are UW and Secrets. not ready for those 8 blocks, but. here's hoping...:(

Go[sh] that was awful...I'll be surprised if I even passed because that felt extremely hard :/ I really admire all you 250+...you must have insane stamina! :thumbup:

Go[sh] that was awful...I'll be surprised if I even passed because that felt extremely hard :/ I really admire all you 250+...you must have insane stamina! :thumbup:

congrats buddy on getting done with it .

any guidance ...i am planning to take it 3 months from now ,

congrats buddy on getting done with it .

any guidance ...i am planning to take it 3 months from now ,

thanks...I really don't know what to say...because I honestly feel like I failed it. I would leave it up to those who passed and did really well to suggest some things. I only used UW and Secrets and now I feel like those weren't enough :(

thanks...I really don't know what to say...because I honestly feel like I failed it. I would leave it up to those who passed and did really well to suggest some things. I only used UW and Secrets and now I feel like those weren't enough :(

dont worry bud , everyone feels crap after the exam but you will good .:thumbup:.... your nbme and uwsa scores are great .... just relax or go out and get your mind of it .....:)

Exam less than 10 days away and I have done 2 NBMEs so far...
NBME 1 (9 days ago)..560/244
NBME 2 (yesterday)..500/230....:eek: DEVASTATED!!! I got low performance on the same stuff I sucked at the first time and peds added onto that.....I am seriously losing my confidence and the test is days away.....
any advice? :confused:

Exam less than 10 days away and I have done 2 NBMEs so far...
NBME 1 (9 days ago)..560/244
NBME 2 (yesterday)..500/230....:eek: DEVASTATED!!! I got low performance on the same stuff I sucked at the first time and peds added onto that.....I am seriously losing my confidence and the test is days away.....
any advice? :confused:

my advice? don't be devastated with a 230.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I expected the disaster .... I got the scores few min ago
step 2 CK 235
with the worst performance in psych & biostatistics ....
au revoir

Many people would love that score... To call a 235 a disaster makes you seem like a jerk

Many people would love that score... To call a 235 a disaster makes you seem like a jerk
Easy tiger...........it may not be a disaster for you as your expectations may be low but he probably put his heart and soul into preparation and that may be the reason he feels that way.

I researched topics that I was weak on, whether it be on the internet, in books I have, or from using the search option on UWorld (AMAZING feature I discovered only during my last week of studying).
That's the key for the preparation and also the reason why no study plan fits all.

Seems like Step 1 score releases are still on the 3 week schedule. Wonder why only Step 2 is running a week behind. And great score btw!

they didnt submit scores during the 4th of july week. For those still studying, MTB was awesome and UW is irreplaceable. I took the UW practice test as I must have got it when i bought the year subscription....i took it a week before my test and it i think it ended up being an accurate measurement of where i was at the time (i improved by 12 points). Altho that being said my gf took the same test the week before and improved by almost 30 points on the real deal, so i dunno.....I also had step 2 secrets but didnt have enough time to get through it as i only had 18 days. I thought it was a good review so worth the read if you have the time, but definitely not necessary! if anyboyd has any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Easy tiger...........it may not be a disaster for you as your expectations may be low but he probably put his heart and soul into preparation and that may be the reason he feels that way.

Actually I m hopin to get 240+ on my exam.. But his comment and your comment also are just douchee

Took it today. I'm no SDN testing superstar.

1st 4 blocks I felt like I was acing it. Had lunch, did another block fine, then block 6 rocked me, I marked about 1/4 of it. Block 7 was ok. Then came the final block, I marked just about half it. I'm glad it came at the end because it would have crushed my spirits if I had that beast of block early on. Unfortunately for a lot of those marked q's I just didn't know what they were getting at or how to choose the right answer, I don't thinking studying the resources I had more would have helped, unless similar q's were in UW. It left me wondering are there experimental q's on the test?

I did have 1 verbatim repeat from somewhere I don't know if it was UW or one of the NBME's. There were ~<10 of each, biostats, EKGs, radiology images, listen with a stethoscope, images of random stuff, a couple of drug ads which were cake, an abstract which was ridiculously difficult. There were a few screening guideline q's which I wondered if they accounted for the lastest guidelines or not, I answered with new ones. I had some really tricky pysch q's which I still don't know what the right answer is.

UW 68%, only 30% completed during study period (one block a day)
45% completed during year 58% ave
all unused, mostly tutor, sometimes regular timed

NBME 2 202 before study period
NBME 4 232 1 week before test

18 days to study

Completed DIT using step up. I felt like they did a good job.
re-read DIT manual in last two days just 3-q warm up, quick quizzes and end of session quizzes. I found that DIT and UW mostly covered the same HY points. I wish I had more time to do more UW and re-review step-up, but it is what it is.

Step 1 just below 230.

I'm really hoping for a 240, but I doubt it'll happen.

The worse part of this all is now I have to do it all over again + OMM on Monday. MD students have it easy. :cool:

Last edited:
I am a DO student and am happy with my USMLE step 2 score of 230.

I didn't take USMLE step 1 but got a 510 on COMLEX level 1.

For USMLE step 2 starting beginning of 3rd year I read Case Files, Kaplan Notes, and PRETEST questions for each Shelf Exam which I supplemented with UpToDate research during my rotations with minimal use of USMLE world throughout.

Starting a few months before my test I started hitting USMLE world more heavily, re-read all Kaplan note documents and read First Aid for each subject.

I hit USMLE World about 1.5x with heavy rehash of questions I got wrong like would re-do these questions 3-5 times until I actually got them right.

USMLE World score around 60% hard to say exact because I did Tutor Mode and would change answers depending on if I thought I should have gotten it right.

I took an NBME practice test #2 in February and got a 175 Then NMBE #4 five weeks before and got a 186, then took the written CSSA from our school got a 225 two weeks before. Then took USWA one week before with a 220. So overall very happy with my score, COMLEX was **** so glad I took this one.

Anyway good luck to all USMLE world was money questions were right on it was the best source I used and I would read topics I got wrong on UpToDate.

I am a DO student and am happy with my USMLE step 2 score of 230.

I didn't take USMLE step 1 but got a 510 on COMLEX level 1.

For USMLE step 2 starting beginning of 3rd year I read Case Files, Kaplan Notes, and PRETEST questions for each Shelf Exam which I supplemented with UpToDate research during my rotations with minimal use of USMLE world throughout.

Starting a few months before my test I started hitting USMLE world more heavily, re-read all Kaplan note documents and read First Aid for each subject.

I hit USMLE World about 1.5x with heavy rehash of questions I got wrong like would re-do these questions 3-5 times until I actually got them right.

USMLE World score around 60% hard to say exact because I did Tutor Mode and would change answers depending on if I thought I should have gotten it right.

I took an NBME practice test #2 in February and got a 175 Then NMBE #4 five weeks before and got a 186, then took the written CSSA from our school got a 225 two weeks before. Then took USWA one week before with a 220. So overall very happy with my score, COMLEX was **** so glad I took this one.

Anyway good luck to all USMLE world was money questions were right on it was the best source I used and I would read topics I got wrong on UpToDate.

Just a question: why did you decide to take USMLE Step 2 without a Step 1 score? Did you call programs and ask if they wanted this from you? Just curious

I didn't think I could do well enough on the step 1 to justify taking it and I figured having atleast a step 2 score would be helpful for pd at programs to compare me to md students. My school also makes us take the nbme shelves so i figured i was already preped for it why not. Plus im going for IM and looking at mostly community programs with some university affiliation and have heard it helps to atleast one USMLE score down as a DO.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Just took Step 2 yesterday.

I wished I focused a little bit more on Psych, Peds, OBGYN, and Ethics.

I scored and overall 71% going through uworld my second time around. First time it was a 59%.

A lot of pathophysio questions and no particular block felt more difficult than another.

Had a few drug ad/research abstract questions, but they were easy.

I hope I scored a 240+ as I really bombed my Step 1, but we'll see.... here's to four weeks of eager anticipation of my scores =/

they didnt submit scores during the 4th of july week. For those still studying, MTB was awesome and UW is irreplaceable. I took the UW practice test as I must have got it when i bought the year subscription....i took it a week before my test and it i think it ended up being an accurate measurement of where i was at the time (i improved by 12 points). Altho that being said my gf took the same test the week before and improved by almost 30 points on the real deal, so i dunno.....I also had step 2 secrets but didnt have enough time to get through it as i only had 18 days. I thought it was a good review so worth the read if you have the time, but definitely not necessary! if anyboyd has any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Step 1 didn't release on July 4th either. Maybe the Step 2 staff took the week off.

Took the beast a few days ago. Impressions:

- Seemed to go way better than step 1. If you did uworld, you'll know a ton of questions right off the bat and be able to reason your way through almost everything else. I only had to take a straight-up guess a couple times on this test, which is way less than on step 1.

- First 3-4 blocks were a snap...on one I didn't mark anything at all.

- They're getting awfully clever with the psych qs. Many of mine followed this format where they would start describing symptoms that clearly sounded like one psych illness but would subtly morph into a different illness altogether by the end of the stem. Making judgement calls on these was sometimes tricky. Personality disorders were often not as clearcut as they are in uworld.

- Biostats was not hard. I only had to calculate something 3-4 times, and those were easy qs. The rest was very conceptual and fairly easy to reason through if you've done uworld.

- Later blocks seemed to have a lot more vague qs and qs that would try to take you one step further than what you would've most likely learned via uworld/mtb/etc.

In general, this seemed to go well. It was easier than step 1. Go with your gut on test day and remember that process of elimination is your friend - you can usually rule out 3-4 answer choices on even the trickiest questions. I read Secrets 2x, MTB 1.5x and finished a first pass of uworld at 73%. Took uwsa two weeks out and got 232. After that, I hit all the subjects I was weak in and researched random topics that came up that I was unsure of. I was aiming at 250 and while I don't wanna jinx it (or come off cocky), I'd be surprised if I didn't get it. (Step 1 = 237).

PS: If you're trying to decide which resource to spend the maximum amount of time with, I'd say uworld is king.

PPS: I'd also like to mention that there was a rather embarrassing typo in one question...an entire phrase at the beginning of a sentence was left out (with a blank space where it was supposed to be), and unfortunately the question basically hinged on whatever was stated in that phrase. They really need to clean stuff like this up...I've gotten used to having gaffes like this on the COMLEX, but I certainly expected better of the USMLE.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I have a real issue here... I am coming close to my test and I need all your help on what to do. I have some serious F-ing test anxiety. when i do untimed uworld - i am scoring in 70's to 80's, but when i started doing timed - i drop to 50's. I feel this is why i got a lower score than i expected on Step 1.

I could take propranolol - but is there any other way to work through this?!?

Any advice would be amazing.

Hey Guys, I have a real issue here... I am coming close to my test and I need all your help on what to do. I have some serious F-ing test anxiety. when i do untimed uworld - i am scoring in 70's to 80's, but when i started doing timed - i drop to 50's. I feel this is why i got a lower score than i expected on Step 1.

I could take propranolol - but is there any other way to work through this?!?

Any advice would be amazing.
It's normal to have anxiety like that but you should know that your UW average of 75% will most likely be translated into your real exam score, so, don't pay much attention to those 50%s.
I'm not sure about trying out Propanolol but speaking for myself, I let the body take care of all the anxiety and at the exam center I'm calm as a cucumber.
However, different things work for different people, so, I suggest do whatever worked well at a previous exam. Not a good idea to try out anything new on the exam day.

Took the beast a few days ago. Impressions:

- Seemed to go way better than step 1. If you did uworld, you'll know a ton of questions right off the bat and be able to reason your way through almost everything else. I only had to take a straight-up guess a couple times on this test, which is way less than on step 1.

- First 3-4 blocks were a snap...on one I didn't mark anything at all.

- They're getting awfully clever with the psych qs. Many of mine followed this format where they would start describing symptoms that clearly sounded like one psych illness but would subtly morph into a different illness altogether by the end of the stem. Making judgement calls on these was sometimes tricky. Personality disorders were often not as clearcut as they are in uworld.

- Biostats was not hard. I only had to calculate something 3-4 times, and those were easy qs. The rest was very conceptual and fairly easy to reason through if you've done uworld.

- Later blocks seemed to have a lot more vague qs and qs that would try to take you one step further than what you would've most likely learned via uworld/mtb/etc.

In general, this seemed to go well. It was easier than step 1. Go with your gut on test day and remember that process of elimination is your friend - you can usually rule out 3-4 answer choices on even the trickiest questions. I read Secrets 2x, MTB 1.5x and finished a first pass of uworld at 73%. Took uwsa two weeks out and got 232. After that, I hit all the subjects I was weak in and researched random topics that came up that I was unsure of. I was aiming at 250 and while I don't wanna jinx it (or come off cocky), I'd be surprised if I didn't get it. (Step 1 = 237).

PS: If you're trying to decide which resource to spend the maximum amount of time with, I'd say uworld is king.

PPS: I'd also like to mention that there was a rather embarrassing typo in one question...an entire phrase at the beginning of a sentence was left out (with a blank space where it was supposed to be), and unfortunately the question basically hinged on whatever was stated in that phrase. They really need to clean stuff like this up...I've gotten used to having gaffes like this on the COMLEX, but I certainly expected better of the USMLE.

Hey thanks for the info .... what would recommend for pysch ?? anything you feel had you read would have helped you do better ??

I actually think the psych is pretty manageable if you've done Uworld. After talking to a friend, apparently a few of the really obscure psych disorders appeared in the Kaplan Step 2 qbank so I guess you could try that if you're so inclined. I think the best prep for the rest of the vague questions on the test would come from going through Uworld as many times as possible.

hi, has anyones permit disappeared esp people who ook CK on 30 june, i am beginning to lose me mind:scared:

I took mine on june 30th also. I think the print permit thing disappears on monday prior based on what I've read on here but I could be wrong. Hoping to get my score this week!

So .. test is in 8 days, and unfortunately I keep averaging scoring in the low to mid 60's on uworld. This might not be a bad position to be in, except I'm trying to make up for a horrendous Step 1 - any thoughts about realistically scoring 240+ with just 8 days to go?

Thanks

teacherman, all the best!
i need a miracle myself.
my step 1 permit link disappeared on the sunday prior to release so i was hoping for the same.

So .. test is in 8 days, and unfortunately I keep averaging scoring in the low to mid 60's on uworld. This might not be a bad position to be in, except I'm trying to make up for a horrendous Step 1 - any thoughts about realistically scoring 240+ with just 8 days to go?

Thanks
Looking at the other sticky thread, % x 1.962 + 118.9 = your score.

Apparently this has a pretty good predictive rate. So even if your score is at 60%, you'd be sitting somewhere at 235. Of course, you mentioned your score is in the mid 60's so more then likely, you're at a 240+ level.

Looking at the other sticky thread, % x 1.962 + 118.9 = your score.

Apparently this has a pretty good predictive rate. So even if your score is at 60%, you'd be sitting somewhere at 235. Of course, you mentioned your score is in the mid 60's so more then likely, you're at a 240+ level.

Yeah right...In my dreams! That equations if fooey b/c according to that eqn, I should be getting a 262 b/c my UW % was 73% first pass, random, timed, unused. I will let you spit on my face if I get anywhere near the score your equation calculates for me! :rolleyes: Still waiting on my score since I took it on june 28. Will update you on how your "equation" panned out...

Yeah right...In my dreams! That equations if fooey b/c according to that eqn, I should be getting a 262 b/c my UW % was 73% first pass, random, timed, unused. I will let you spit on my face if I get anywhere near the score your equation calculates for me! :rolleyes: Still waiting on my score since I took it on june 28. Will update you on how your "equation" panned out...
Not my equation!

Im but a mere messenger who was also referred to that thread by others.

UW scores are inflated for a lot of people. The point is that you should feel pretty comfortable with a 73% if you're shooting for 240+.

Hmm...I have a different one that I used for step 1.. Was pretty accurate for me...
2.3 x UW average % + 80 = approximate 3 digit on actual exam

But who knows? It would be interesting if it works again.

Not sure I want my scores back this Wednesday, I have felt like I screwed the pooch every since I walked out of that exam. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. Anyone else still feel like they didn't do so well i.e. potentially failed?

Last edited:
It's normal to have anxiety like that but you should know that your UW average of 75% will most likely be translated into your real exam score, so, don't pay much attention to those 50%s.
I'm not sure about trying out Propanolol but speaking for myself, I let the body take care of all the anxiety and at the exam center I'm calm as a cucumber.
However, different things work for different people, so, I suggest do whatever worked well at a previous exam. Not a good idea to try out anything new on the exam day.
Thanks for reply. I have been just timing my blocks are hoping for the best.