usmleworld, nbme and step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to get a quick thread going for score correlations. if you have taken step 2, and used the nmbe self assessment and/or usmleworld questions, could you do me a solid and post what your scores on each were, as well as your step 2 score. want to make sure i am well into the safe zone, exam in a couple of weeks...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think my overall score was around 63%? Low 60's anyway. I scored 236/93 on Step II. The USMLEworld questions were slightly harder than the actual exam (the actual exam was somewhere between Qbank and USMLEworld), but the concepts are the same and it makes you think more than any other question bank that I saw. Although, NMS question book is pretty good too (and representative).

I hope that helps! :)

I think the NBME board now has its own correlation list, so check their site out. I saw it on another forum. good luck.

My scores are:

kaplan q-bank- 81%
usmleworld- 70%
nbme 1: 600
nbme 2: 800
step 2: 258/99

Hi highly recommend usmleworld..i had a lot of straight repeats..questions are more difficult than the actual exam but cover almost everything you will see conceptually on the actual exam

good luck to all

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the input...i was at 500 for my first NBME a few weeks ago. since then i have done some work and finished a strong rotation. now i am scoring an avg of about 62% on usmleworld, but have only done a few tests. guess i am on the right track to pass at least, but i gotta get a better score this time around.

i am only using usmleworld, as i have about 2 weeks left and wouldn't have the time or money to get through this and kaplan. happy with it so far...but, has anyone else noticed that the grammar leaves something to be desired? there has already been one question that was difficult to even understand, due to the grammar...

any more correlations out there? they all help!

ive done 5 tests on usmleworld (20 q each) and im getting slammed with 55 avg. man i hope i dont get killed like that on the real test

mike

mikeshana said:
ive done 5 tests on usmleworld (20 q each) and im getting slammed with 55 avg. man i hope i dont get killed like that on the real test

mike

i am having the same worries, but i think we will be ok.

i have done about 15 tests, 46 unused questions in the timed mode, with an average of 60%. my best score has been a 67, worst a 54. but, while most questions seem pretty good, and a lot of the ones i miss are legit, there are certainly a few that i am questioning, where they seem to leave out some important data that affects my choices. i would say that there have been at least 10 questions where the vignette was insuffecient to say that one of the answer choices was clearly better.

anyway, i am hoping 60% is good enough...i have heard over 50% is a reasonable passing score on the real deal....but, i want to beat the mean at least, i hope 60%+ will correlate well with that.

I averaged 68-70% qbank

got 440 on the first assessment (=202 on real thing)

didn't study very much between assessments

got 460 on second assessment (207)

got 205 on real thing.

looks like nbme tests are right on target.

nbme form 1= 720, 4 days before exam=predicted score of 259
high 70's on q-bank i think (shared with someone else, so not sure)
274/99 on the exam

a few correlations from the nbme site-
800- 268
750- 263
700- 256
650- 248
600- 239
500- 229
450- 204
400- 191

hope this helps

can you get a 274 on the exam? damn, that sounds really high...

here's what i did:

kaplan qbank: like 75% (i did a couple hundred, like may be 400 questions a month before i took the actual exam and so i don't think it really helped with the exam)

usmleworld: i did again like 400 questions within the 5 days before the exam, found it to be really hard, and had a final average of like 67%

Step II score: i called my student affairs office and was told my score was a 251. haven't gotten the actual score card, so i'm hoping it really was a 251 :)

adios

sweet! thanks for the input, and keep it comin, folks!

i have the exam thursday. i am pooping masonry. my scores on usmleworld have been creeping up, though. i am just about through all 2000 questions, with an average of around 63% overall, prob closer to 67 or 68% on the last 400 questions or so. still not where i want to be, but hopefully good enough to beat the mean....

last few days i plan to redo all the incorrect questions, or maybe do an exam of incorrect answers followed by an exam of just randoms from the whole question bank, and read first aid for step 2 over and over and over and over....

is it just me, or does crush step 2 seem VERY superficial. even first aid seems much better, with the important details spelled out a bit more....the questions i have been seeing are at least three steps (ie, from the vignette you must first know the dx, then know the tx, to answer the question about side effects from the tx) and crush doesn't even come close to that sort of detail...

these tests suck so bad. wish me luck, and give me feedback if you got it!

thanks again...

medstudent 2005- congrats on the score! as for getting them over the phone, the same thing happened to me. was on an away rotation, so i couldn't confirm my score for a while. was really hoping the lady on the phone didn't have a sudden episode of dyslexia while telling me my score.

neilc- no need to s*** bricks! i think you'll definitely beat the mean if you scored 500 a few weeks ago. best of luck :thumbup:

hey, how do you find out whether or not you released your scores? i can't remember if i did anything to keep my scores from being released and i went to the nbme website to review my application, but there's nothing on their about releasing or not releasing scores...anyone know anything about this?

muy gracias

just wanted to say thanks to those of you sharing your correlations and good luck to those on the home stretch. You can do it!

just took that bad boy...man, that test is weird! some ridiculous hard questions followed by something so easy that i reread it about 10 times looking for some sort of trick...

all in all, it reminded me a lot of step 1. some gimmes, some impossible questions and a whole bunch that were very easy to narrow down to 2 good choices but tough from there.

i have NO idea if i passed it, bombed it or did awesome. impossible to tell, and i really wouldn't be surprised by anything on the score report at this point!

but, as far as usmleworld goes, it seemed to be quite a bit more difficult than the real thing. a lot of the same topics, but with the poor grammar and the detail level, it really forced you to read the questions carefully, and the explanations were great. so, i think usmleworld is the way to go.

i hope i have good news when the scores come in, and i will post my correlation!