USMLE/COMLEX USMLEWorld Step 1 - Raffle and Product Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
logo.jpg

Step 1 Qbank

Our Step 1 Qbank subscription includes the following contents:

• Over 2000 high-quality, unrepeated multiple choice questions
  • State-of-the-art, classic board-type questions created by real-life physicians
  • Detailed explanations and educational objectives for each question, including excellent illustrations and charts that are easy to read and interpret
  • Board-simulated interface design with FRED software features (highlight, strike-out, annotation, searchable lab values, calculator, mark/flag items, etc)
  • Customizable practice tests (create subject-specific, system-specific, or combination tests in timed, untimed, timed tutor, and untimed tutor modes)
  • Suspend and resume a test at anytime at your convenience with 24 hr account web access
  • Compare performance scores with other USMLEWorld users, see which subjects you need to improve and view your cumulative performance outline
  • Sequence and media questions
  • Mobile qbank companion app available for iOS and Android based devices
Detailed description and information regarding our Step 1 Qbank subscription can be reviewied from http://www.usmleworld.com/Step1/step1_qbank.aspx page on our website.

Step 1 Qbank Subscription Rates

• 30-day Qbank membership: $119
  • 60-day Qbank membership: $159
  • 90-day Qbank membership: $199
  • 180-day Qbank membership: $299
  • 360-day Qbank membership: $399

Step 1 Self-Assessment Exams

Each Self-assessment exam subscription consists of:

• Four blocks of questions (48 questions per block) in timed mode
  • Completely different set of questions (not taken from the Qbank) based on realistic exam content
  • Answers and detailed explanation for each question
  • Educational objective for each question
  • Board simulated interface design with FRED V2.0 software features (highlight, strike-out, annotation, searchable lab values, calculator, mark/flag items etc)
  • Score report with assessment score and approximate USMLE™ 3-digit score
  • Detailed analysis of relative strength and weakness in difference subjects and systems
  • Consisting of sequence questions (media questions to be added in future)
Detailed description and information regarding our Step 1 self-assessment exam subscription can be reviewied from http://www.usmleworld.com/Step1/step1_exam.aspx page on our website.

Step 1 Self-Assessment Form Subscription Rates

• Self-Assessment Exam Form 1 (2-weeks): $30
  • Self-Assessment Exam Form 2 (2-weeks): $30

Discounted combination subscription packages
To review the combination prices, visit http://www.usmleworld.com/purchase.aspx and click on the large Step 1 image. This consists of all currently available subscription options including combination packages.

FAQ

Q: When does a subscription start? Can it be purchased now but used later? What if I purchase a combination package consisting of multiple courses?
A: All subscriptions go into effect from the time they are activated and not the time of setup/purchase. It can be activated immediately or anytime thereafter. If your initial purchase consists of multiple courses (qbank, self-assessment exam, CCS, etc.), each of them can be activated individually and independently via your account on our website as preferred. This process of activating a subscription after purchase allows you flexibility of starting a subscription when you are truly ready to utilize it.

Q: Is there a guest account or trial option to test the product prior to purchase?
A: We do not offer guest/trial accounts to test our product(s). However, you can view a demo of our software from each of the product pages. You will need to have Adobe Flash installed on your system to view the demo.

Q: Is the software accessible via mobile device (Android or iOS powered phone/tablet, etc.)?
A: Access to Qbanks via certain mobile devices is provided as an additional feature, but it is not intended to be a replacement for computer access. We currently provide a Qbank Mobile app for select iOS based devices (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch) and Android based devices (phones or tablets), which can be found in each of their respective app stores. In order for users to install and use the app, their mobile devices must meet our system requirements (outlined on http://www.usmleworld.com/system_requirements.aspx page). Not all products are available to access via mobile devices.

Our developers are aware of request for mobile access on other devices/platforms and are reviewing potential options and implementation scenarios however, an exact time frame (of if or when a solution will be available) is not currently known. Once an app is ready, it will be announced directly on our website.

Q: How often is the content added/updated?
A: All of our products have a finite set of questions/cases and we routinely review and update them based on new research, changes in diagnostic and patient management practices. We do not maintain alternate content for any of our products. Question containing older or non-relevant material are replaced with updated question content.
- Content for Step 1 does not change that often as it is based on core scientific principals
- Content for Step 2 is added and/or changed based on new diagnostic procedure and medical research (this occurs quite frequently)
- Content for Step 3 is also changed based on new protocols in patient management (not as frequently as Step 2)
- Content for our Self-assessment exams, Subject Review are changed only if the question/concept is obsolete

Q: Does USMLEWorld offer any discounts for new purchase?
A: Unfortunately, we do not offer discounts to individual subscribers for purchase of a new subscription. To inquire more about group discounts, please contact us (via http://www.usmleworld.com/contact_us.aspx page) with:
- Number of users in the group
- Desired subscription package(s) (from those outlined on http://www.usmleworld.com/purchase.aspx page)
- Contact telephone and available timings

Reference URL's
- View a non-interactive demo of qbank/self-assessment exam: http://www.usmleworld.com/Step1/step1_demo.aspx
- Recent subscriber feedback: http://www.usmleworld.com/Step1/step1_testimonials.aspx
- System requirements: http://www.usmleworld.com/system_requirements.aspx
- Answers to a majority all general/technical queries: http://www.usmleworld.com/help.aspx

Raffle Giveaway
We will be giving away one "Step 1 Qbank 60-day Membership" to two members. Winners for each raffle will be drawn by the forum administrator from among the members who meaningfully contribute to the thread (respond to other member questions, share their usage experience, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does the mobile qbank app cost extra or is it included in the course price (and/or the raffle)?

Access to Qbanks via certain mobile devices is provided as an additional feature (free of charge), but it is not intended to be a replacement for computer access. We currently provide a Qbank Mobile app for select iOS based devices (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch) and Android based devices (phones or tablets), which can be found in each of their respective app stores. In order for users to install and use the app, their mobile devices must meet our system requirements. Not all products are available to access via mobile devices. Please review system requirements necessary for using our course offerings as posted at: http://www.usmleworld.com/system_requirements.aspx

When do you recommend medical students start using their UWorld QBank questions? I am on a systems based curriculum and afraid I would be encountering questions I have no exposure to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be adding the audio questions to the iphone version?

Great tool but:

1) Would be great to have a different type of flagging system for those questions done on an mobile app. Sometimes someone is not able to fully review the text, would make it easier to review it later on aside from the normal flagging system.

2) Just learned about the tool which allows you to take notes within UWorld, plan to use this one for sure!

When do you recommend medical students start using their UWorld QBank questions? I am on a systems based curriculum and afraid I would be encountering questions I have no exposure to.

I would recommend that you wait until your dedicated study period to utilize the uworld Qbank. The reason for this is that once you see a question you will forever be familiar with it, which will artificially elevate your scoring percentage later on down the road and take away from your focus as well.

It's hard enough to do a qbank the first time and it's even harder to pay attention and continue to learn when you can predict the answer within a few lines of the question (b/c you've seen it before).

I would use a different Qbank during the year then transition to USMLEworld for the real prep period, as it is hands down the best prep question bank there is!

@chutzpah: Questions in our mobile app are the same as regular qbank hence, media questions are already included/available.

I've read that some people have trouble with the screenshot-blocker flagging them when they weren't using the program or when the program wasn't even running.

Is the blocker still part of the program, and if so, is there a legitimate rationale for it given that DRM restrictions like this have been shown to be ineffective against copyright infringement?

I have heard several students say that you should try and get through the UWorld Qbank more than once. I have not laid out my schedule for studying yet so I do not know if I am going to do that but I would like to have the option if I choose to go that route. What is USMLEWorld's policy on resetting Qbanks? Is it allowed? I know some companies do not allow Qbank resets. If it is not allowed what is the best way to make a second pass through the questions?

@ Donnie1310: While our software is active/open, performing screen capture or other copy/paste operation is prohibited. Once our software is closed, individuals can do whatever they prefer including those operations. We understand that sometimes individuals forget that they have our software open (e.g. they minimized it or switched to a different application). In such cases, they are informed to avoid such actions in future.

@MattyBee: During the course of an active subscription you can generate as many test blocks as you prefer using the available pool of questions. Once you have exhausted one pool of questions, you can always generate new test blocks using other available test generation options. A quick view of our qbank demo will help you better understand this response.

We recommend you consult our qbank reset eligibility criteria outlined on our help page under ‘I want to reset/delete my Qbank test history (or) start all over again, is this possible?’ section.

I know that I am weak in the Behavioral Sciences and Biostatistics departments, and I heard that USMLEWORLD actually has extra questions that are available for purchase.

How are those questions different than the rest of the questions from the Qbank Behavioral Science and Biostatistics? Is there a reason why those questions were specifically left out (ie, question quality difficulty or quality, wanted to keep a Qbank question limit, etc?)

Thanks!

Great Question Bank For the USMLE!!!!

How does your self assessments compare on accuracy to the NBME?

I have heard several students say that you should try and get through the UWorld Qbank more than once. I have not laid out my schedule for studying yet so I do not know if I am going to do that but I would like to have the option if I choose to go that route. What is USMLEWorld's policy on resetting Qbanks? Is it allowed? I know some companies do not allow Qbank resets. If it is not allowed what is the best way to make a second pass through the questions?

Don't do it more than twice. You're going to remember the question stems and you'll stop paying attention/learning. If you want to do more questions pick up a different Qbank prior and use it during the school year, that way you can keep USMLEworld nice and pristine for the real testing period.

For example.. My % right after my first pass through the 2300 questions was at 78%. When I reset my test bank and went back through a few hundred questions, I was scoring in the high 90% correct.. which was a complete waste of time.

@MattyBee: During the course of an active subscription you can generate as many test blocks as you prefer using the available pool of questions. Once you have exhausted one pool of questions, you can always generate new test blocks using other available test generation options. A quick view of our qbank demo will help you better understand this response.

We recommend you consult our qbank reset eligibility criteria outlined on our help page under ‘I want to reset/delete my Qbank test history (or) start all over again, is this possible?’ section.

Thank you for getting back to me! I took a look at your demo and I also looked at your help page and found the section you referred to.

So the general gist of what I read was that resets are allowed in two circumstances: 1. If purchase of a new subscription after your old one has expired 2. If you have a continuous subscription for 6-months or longer and have not done a reset before.

Unfortunately, I do not think I will qualify for either of those options. Any suggestion on how to make a second pass through the questions after all the pooled questions have been completed once? From reading online it seems like some people suggest marking all questions on the first pass then unmarked them the second time through.

Don't do it more than twice. You're going to remember the question stems and you'll stop paying attention/learning. If you want to do more questions pick up a different Qbank prior and use it during the school year, that way you can keep USMLEworld nice and pristine for the real testing period.

For example.. My % right after my first pass through the 2300 questions was at 78%. When I reset my test bank and went back through a few hundred questions, I was scoring in the high 90% correct.. which was a complete waste of time.

I do have a Qbank that I have been using throughout the year. I have yet to get the UWorld Qbank for the exact reason you mentioned. I am not planning on doing it more than twice. Depending on how I lay my studying out I might not even be doing it more than once. I have heard from several students that making a second pass through maybe something to consider. I just want the option to do that if I choose to do so.

to those who've already gone through it: what is a reasonable amount of time you'd say it takes to complete the qbank on the first time through (during dedicated study time)? Will the dedicated time alone be enough to make full use of the bank?

@g8orlife: Our Biostatistics & Epidemiology Subject Review is not a Qbank as it does not consist of any scoring or progress monitoring.

It is designed to cover about 20 key concepts and uses about 73 questions to cover them. These questions contain detailed explanations for each concept (multiple question make up a concept). Once all questions related to a specific concept are answered, you will see if you answered the question correctly or not and have a cumulative answer and explanation of said concept.

Additional information about our Biostatistics Subject Review can be found via our website at http://usmleworld.com/Step1/step1_subjectreview.aspx.

@iansarria: Individuals that have used our Step 1 Self-assessment Exam Forms report their score was very close to the 3-digit score reported by our software. Since, they did not share their exact score or percentile, we are unable to predict scores or offer any additional speculative correlation data. We recommend seeking feedback from your peers who might be able to offer their first-hand experience with said subscription(s).

You may also want to consult http://www.usmle.org/Scores_Transcripts/minimum_passing.html page to see how your three digit score stacks up against USMLE's minimum three-digit passing score.

@MattyBee: If you want to repeat certain questions that you have already done, we recommend that you first 'mark' these questions during your review, and then generate a new test via the 'marked' question mode. Once a test is generated via the 'marked' question mode, all questions within said test are no longer marked. Hence, in this manner, you could work through the Qbank or select individual subjects a second time through, per your preference.

Further, if you would like to generate the same questions in a new test a third/fourth/etc time, you will need to 'mark' said questions again (as each time a test is generated via the 'marked' option, the questions are removed from the 'marked' pool).

Last edited:
How long can we wait to activate the product after purchasing (or winning) it?

to those who've already gone through it: what is a reasonable amount of time you'd say it takes to complete the qbank on the first time through (during dedicated study time)? Will the dedicated time alone be enough to make full use of the bank?

That's a big question. Some people bite off 200-250 questions/day where others can only muster up 50 a day. For me, I tried to do 2 blocks a day (92 questions) in the morning and then spend the rest of the day working on learning the material. I essentially did the following...

7am-10am 92 questions
10am-1pm reviewed first block and annotated into first aid
1:30-5pm reviewed second block and annotated

6pm-10pm Reviewed first aid (30-40 pages a night).

I kept this up for about 6 weeks. Loads of fun. Good score though.

Do it twice, but spaced apart as far as possible so you don't remember the question stems that much.

@MattyBee: If you want to repeat certain questions that you have already done, we recommend that you first 'mark' these questions during your review, and then generate a new test via the 'marked' question mode. Once a test is generated via the 'marked' question mode, all questions within said test are no longer marked. Hence, in this manner, you could work through the Qbank or select individual subjects a second time through, per your preference.

Further, if you would like to generate the same questions in a new test a third/fourth/etc time, you will need to 'mark' said questions again (as each time a test is generated via the 'marked' option, the questions are removed from the 'marked' pool).

OK cool. Thanks for the help!

Do it twice, but spaced apart as far as possible so you don't remember the question stems that much.

I wasn't really asking about how I should go about running through the QBank twice but more so if UWorld would allow me to do it in the first place. I do, however, appreciate the feedback. Like I said before I haven't quite made my study schedule yet so I'll try and keep what you said in mind. Thanks!

@itsmcv2015: A subscription goes into effect from the time it is activated and not from the time of setup/purchase. It can be activated from our website immediately or anytime thereafter without any set deadline for activation. Please refer to our help page at http://www.usmleworld.com/help.aspx under General -> Subscription & Account related -> "When does a New purchase/Renewal begin?" section for details related to this concern.

USMLEWorld would like to thank SDN for inviting us to participate in Test Prep Week 2013 and everyone for their feedback, questions and general comments. Should you have any further question/concern, feel free to contact our staff directly from our website.

Status
Not open for further replies.