USPHS - NIAID Scholarship at USUHS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I wasn't quite sure where to ask this question, I know there is another forum that has some USPHS info, but I was hoping that you all might be able to provide me with more. I have been considering the HPSP scholarship to join and eventually get into ID, but the more I think about it and the more I read, I feel like it may not be the best route. However, I just discovered that there is an opportunity to go to USUHS and apply for the NIH - NIAID scholarship that pays for everything in return for service as an ID physician at the NIH...this seems exactly what I want to do. Does anyone have any info on this scholarship and program or how competitive it is? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto. I'm scrambling for information before my interview on 9/11.wish they wouldn't have us choose a service so far in advance. I'm trying to find out if NIAID is an eligible option after residency as I think I would love to work there.. But choosing NIAID now means committing to ID before med school even starts.

They are not putting people into ID anymore. NIAID's current MO at USUHS is to train physicians in Allergy and Immunology; you must do either IM/Peds as a residency (wherever) and you are required to do your fellowship (guaranteed basically) at NIH in that field. And commit to a certain time in that field working for NIAID to pay back your time.