USPHS slots for Airborne school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papito

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know if slots for Airborne training are allotted to or attainable by officers of the Commissioned Corps?

I know it's not directly related to any of our professional categories (me being a biomedical engineer myself), but it could play a role in strategic force deployment. Direct entry strategies, etc. The logic is there, but is it offered by the Corps?

And if so, could any of you provide details on how to go about procuring a spot? I spoke with the Navy/Marine Corps liasion at Ft. Benning, and they couldn't offer any insight.

Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

I am almost certain it is the decision of the unit the officer is assigned. Slots for all schools are expensive and reserved mostly for infantry, etc. I imagine the war climate we are in is even more limited for non-combat soldiers.

However, I could be wrong. It just would not make sense to send an unassigned soldier to a school unless he has orders from the unit commander. Yes, in theory divisions like the 82nd have unit that 100% deployed from the sky, but its slim pickin's these days.

Maybe I'm wrong.

You normally receive a slot, not at an individual level, but your unit receives slots or a priority based on the mission. I'm not familiar with the USHPS but also unfamiliar why a biomed eng would seek to be airborne.. can you fit all your equipm in a drop back and rucksack? lol j/k
Will you benefit the seizure of an airfield?
Would you be detached to an airborne unit?
Does your unit receive X of slots annually?
These are the first questions i'd ask....
There is a good # of people that want to attend this course - even though they are not in an airborne unit it is now a retention (excuse me) an incentive tool for soldiers re-enlisting.
The school is fun and all.. i'm totally aware of the stigma of wanting to go and be jump qualified and to talk crap about 'legs' and what not.. but in reality unless your unit is an airborne unit and doing recalls and such - it's not that useful (IMHO) as these skills are perishable and the hard part is NOT at the individual level but getting a unit and all the support elements to muster up and conduct an N hour sequence....

Either way - good luck on gaining the slot.
My recommendation would be to talk to your school rep or poc within your unit as slots are generally unit oriented.
If they don't hook you up - simple. Army enlistment 09S (officer candidate) go to basic, OCS, and get picked infantry..and after your basic course and prior to ranger school u can get your jumps in while at benning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Long term, airborne jumps don't make the slightest bit of sense. For obvious reasons, it is difficult to get more than minimal equipment and supplies onto the ground if it all has to go out the door by parachute.

But more-over, airborne drops were invented in the era before helicopters and the V22 Osprey. I can't think of a situation where the military had good enough control of the airspace to send in slow flying C130 jump planes..but couldn't send choppers or V22s to offload troops and supplies instead.

The airborne badge and airborne units is mostly a prestige thing and a recruitment tool. The only airborne 'combat' drop I know of done in the last decade was into a secured airfield in Northern Iraq, and could have been done with helicopters instead.

There seems to be some confusion about PHS-Commissioned Corps. PHS is a non miltarized organization. You can't carry a firearm, you don't have any type of military training in the true sense. I'm a long time Army Reserve Warrant Officer and the PHS officers I see on base tend to lack a basic understanding of military protocol (i.e. don't salute or return salutes). However that being said, you get all the benefits associated with being in the military, free medical, retirement etc. Also based on your training you are able to come in a higher grade level. You can get an O-4 based upon education and training. Your pay grade is two fold- you have a perm rank when you come in O1-2, but based upon your job or assignment you might get the temp rank of O-3/O-4 and receive the pay etc.

If you are interested in the military in the tradition sense, combat, living overseas or specialized units like airborne, submarine or Special Forces PHS isn't where you want to be.

There seems to be some confusion about PHS-Commissioned Corps. PHS is a non miltarized organization. You can't carry a firearm, you don't have any type of military training in the true sense. I'm a long time Army Reserve Warrant Officer and the PHS officers I see on base tend to lack a basic understanding of military protocol (i.e. don't salute or return salutes). However that being said, you get all the benefits associated with being in the military, free medical, retirement etc. Also based on your training you are able to come in a higher grade level. You can get an O-4 based upon education and training. Your pay grade is two fold- you have a perm rank when you come in O1-2, but based upon your job or assignment you might get the temp rank of O-3/O-4 and receive the pay etc.

If you are interested in the military in the tradition sense, combat, living overseas or specialized units like airborne, submarine or Special Forces PHS isn't where you want to be.

Thanks for your post, Gunner. I definitely agree, I don't see how a PHS officer could be given priority over other uniformed services with regards to airborne school. Only thing I'd add is that many PHS Officers are trained in how to use a firearm when they are on active duty at the BOP. There are special situations which would warrant firearm training, but you're right that it's not the norm.

WRT military protocol understanding such as saluting/returning salutes, etc., I think the PHS is working on training aspects, and also other aspects such as eliminating facial hair, and making sure officers wear their uniforms while on duty.