USPS and Paper Clips/Staples on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wowzer

daaaaaamn homie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had cases where I have sent out mail with paper clips or staples, and the mail was delayed becuase they wanted to inspect what was inside the envelope by using some weird method. Has anyone else had this problem? Does having a Muslim name make this more of a problem? If you have been delyed, approx. how long was this delay?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, this question is confusing to me - you mail a letter, it is delayed, so you call the post office to inquire about it, and they actually remember the specific letter, and why it was delayed? How on Earth is that possible? I thought if it was delayed it was just delayed and they couldn't tell you why. Clarify.

wowzer said:
I have had cases where I have sent out mail with paper clips or staples, and the mail was delayed becuase they wanted to inspect what was inside the envelope by using some weird method. Has anyone else had this problem? Does having a Muslim name make this more of a problem? If you have been delyed, approx. how long was this delay?

Wait....paper clips and staples sent up a red flag...all this x-ray tech and the post office can't discern a paper clip and staples. I have yet to have this problem. Generally speaking the problems I had was postmen falsifying delivery info and they got caught for it on two occassions by me...I spoke to the supervisor and my packages are where they are supposed to be. And as for having a muslim name, I am muslim and my last name is a dead giveaway but that hasn't caused any problems in terms of mails. I suggest that either you talk to the post office or use another method of delivery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
Wait, this question is confusing to me - you mail a letter, it is delayed, so you call the post office to inquire about it, and they actually remember the specific letter, and why it was delayed? How on Earth is that possible? I thought if it was delayed it was just delayed and they couldn't tell you why. Clarify.

In teh past I've had to send mail to different places (e.g. jobs). When it should have taken 1-2 days to get there, it took two weeks for them to receive it. Anotehr case was when I filed for a rebate for something I bought, and instead of hearing back from them in 8 weeks, it took three monthss, the mail was returned to me and you could see the smudges and residue from their screening, and my rebate was past due.

wowzer said:
In teh past I've had to send mail to different places (e.g. jobs). When it should have taken 1-2 days to get there, it took two weeks for them to receive it. Anotehr case was when I filed for a rebate for something I bought, and instead of hearing back from them in 8 weeks, it took three monthss, the mail was returned to me and you could see the smudges and residue from their screening, and my rebate was past due.
Ah - so you have no reason to suspect it is because of the paperclips / or staples, it is just an assumption. I would say that the post office may or may not be to blame - often people like to blame the post office (eg the check is in the mail) because it is a way to lay blame somewhere that can not be verified.

Conduct an experiment. Mail yourself two envelopes, one with staples, one without from a curbside mailbox and time how long it takes.

wowzer said:

I've mailed LOADS of stuff through USPS - letters, big envelopes, DVDs, DVD+/-RW drives, books, etc. - and I've never had this problem. It's very odd that they would delay a shipment because of a paper clip or a staple.

I am calling the post office tomorrow and see where my white envelope with an American flag stamp is at. But seriously, that would not cause a delay. X-ray, look send on way. The anality around here is driving me crazy.

GPACfan said:
I am calling the post office tomorrow and see where my white envelope with an American flag stamp is at. But seriously, that would not cause a delay. X-ray, look send on way. The anality around here is driving me crazy.
I love the word anality - can I steal it?

I'm going to need an official judge's ruling, but I'm pretty sure this topic isn't even close to being thread-worthy.

willthatsall said:
I'm going to need an official judge's ruling, but I'm pretty sure this topic isn't even close to being thread-worthy.
Yeah - we need some tool to add his shirtless pic to this thread to make it post-worthy.

Flopotomist said:
Yeah - we need some tool to add his shirtless pic to this thread to make it post-worthy.

I should hope you recognize the difference between a better than average joke and what might be the worst question of all-time.

wowzer said:

The only information that has been delayed was stuff going to california. i sent stuff to keck, einstein and george washington, all priority on the same day, and keck too three days while the others were there by 7am- and I'm in Las Vegas. I asked at the post office and the guy said the metal from the clips and the size of the envelopes caused inspection delays. again, this was only stuff going to california.

Flopotomist said:
Conduct an experiment. Mail yourself two envelopes, one with staples, one without from a curbside mailbox and time how long it takes.

:laugh: :laugh: , now your thinking like a scientist.....

Wait, there's more to this experiment. With paperclip, without paperclip, with and without Muslim surnames. And then there's the California arm of the experiment ...

I've read that some very right-wing militia types feel that FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency?) is a very scary organization, invented expressly to clamp down military law all over the country in the event of an emergency.

Perhaps everyone has his or her own government agency that makes them a little paranoid?

wowzer said:

Ignore all these people who flame you. You're just asking a simple question because you're having a small fit of paranoia, as we all do at some point, and in my opinion your question is perfectly normal and doesn't deserve all this sarcasm.

Once, I mailed a letter to a friend of mine. Inside the letter I put a small metallic stylus for a Handspring Visor (i.e. a palm pilot PDA.) I specifically mailed him this stylus because it was neat and it had a little screw-in screw-driver and reset nub, and it also matched his PDA. Anyway, when the letter arrived at his home in Georgia, he found that it had been tampered with, and the stylus that I had mailed him was actually removed. REMOVED. The basta=ds removed it. *sigh*.

Anyway, maybe I didn't affix enough postage for the additional weight of the stylus, or perhaps there was a legitimate reason for the heightened security concern at the time (a few months post-911, I think.) Since it was a relatively large metallic object, it's not all that surprising and now that I think about it, I guess it's okay. Honestly though, I don't think a paperclip or staples will cause you to have any problems. And if you are really worried, send your materials via express or priority mail. But that really is unnecessary. The USPS really is quite efficient and trustworthy, given the volume of mail that they process on a daily basis.

Don't worry about it too much, but at the same time you might as well follow up after you mail them out and ensure that receipt of your materials is properly logged within two weeks of sending them out. Good luck with the app process. :)

willthatsall said:
I should hope you recognize the difference between a better than average joke and what might be the worst question of all-time.
Any jokes that provide me with eye candy are post worthy in my opinion. Hmm... is this the worst question of all time? Perhaps we should start a thread asking which post is the worst of all time.... interesting.