UST fms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icfuturemd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'll be an incoming freshman in UST. Anyone else? :)

Members don't see this ad.

^ congrats, (future) fellow thomasian doc. :)

anyone else for this coming school year? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
here!here! hehe, anyone's surname starting with "L"?haha

aw... too bad...=(, thought id mit my future subsect cmates here...well, see u wen i see u!=)

I'm a "Fil-am" going to UST! How bout you guys? It'll be a big move! Are you all excited...scared??

yeah, new environment for u, but ull get used to it somehow..., excited? scared? ....of course... both... hehe

section C right here! Fil-am as well...leaving for manila on the 21rst. Just in time for the medical checkups and registration...it's going to be one big move. have you decided where you're going to stay at (on campus or apartments?)

hey! im in section c too.. if u'll be stayin at apartments or dorms, you should search now and rserve as soon as possible coz itll be hard too look for good places if classes are starting soon...goodluck fellow section c!=D

FYI, there's no "on campus" dormitories. there used to be one at the 5th floor of the STUH Clinical Division, however that's inexistent now.

good luck to y'all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys know what section you will be in? By last name right (mine is D)? Was anyone able to contact the office to get a schedule of classes? Last time I called they didn't have it yet.

I'm leaving for the PI on the 1st... :banana:

section C right here! Fil-am as well...leaving for manila on the 21rst. Just in time for the medical checkups and registration...it's going to be one big move. have you decided where you're going to stay at (on campus or apartments?)

Did you find a place yet?? Or are you going to be looking once you get there?

FYI, there's no "on campus" dormitories. there used to be one at the 5th floor of the STUH Clinical Division, however that's inexistent now.

good luck to y'all! :)

There are 2 ON CAMPUS dormitories at UST. Neither is specifically for medical students, however med students have lived there.

Domus Mariae is adjacent to the UST Publishing house (near Padre Noval and España though only accessible from within UST), and Thomas Aquinas Research Center (TARC) also has a residence/short stay/extended stay facility. TARC is located on campus fairly close to the UST (high school) fronting Dapitan. Either facility is within walking distance to the "med building".

Domus Mariae is competitively priced to other shared accomodation dormitories near UST, availability for accomodation is limited.

TARC is EXPENSIVE although some filams have in the past rented a unit that would normally accomodate 3, for themselves at a cost of a studio in upper Manhattan (LOL :laugh:), SO Bluedsky now stands corrected! The information about the defunct facility on the 5th floor of the Clinical Division of Santo Tomas University Hospital Clinical Division is correct however...

Last edited:
ok thanks for the correction. now, i know. hehe!

i didn't know about the 2 on campus dorms coz i didn't know any batchmate or colleague who stayed there. plus, my friends & i barely go to the UST campus p noval side (except when we hear mass). of course, the only on campus dorm i know is inexistent now.

btw, when did those 2 became operational?

yeah i got an apartment close to the medical building. u?

Are there any good websites to buy electronics from i.e. speakers, TV...etc? In the states I would usually order from ebay or newegg, and still would but I don't want to pay the overseas shipping. Any suggestions?

Are there any good websites to buy electronics from i.e. speakers, TV...etc? In the states I would usually order from ebay or newegg, and still would but I don't want to pay the overseas shipping. Any suggestions?

I suggest going out and doing some shopping. Probably not worth the trouble trying to buy it online and having it shipped here and landing somewhere else.

is it true that pre-requisites/pre-units are not required anymore in ust-fms? i might enter ust next year, pending what will happen in this upcoming nmat.

what are the requirements for entry to ust? this blogs's just recent. i really wanna know.

thanks!

^ try to inquire personally from the admissions committee, or ask the freshmen 'bout this. during our time years ago, they were VERY strict regarding pre-requisite units, interview, psychological exam and NMAT cut-off score.

i heard applications are now open.

uhmmm... Hopefully... but right now my grades really sucks and now I'm going crazy @_@ I heard UST has this 8 unit policy, where those who had committed 8 units of failure will no longer be accepted. :scared: The worst part is I have more than 8 units of failure. Somebody comfort me... T_T I'm failing not because I don't understand the lectures but because I'm no good with exams.

but there is actually a somehow brightened side of it I'm a graduating student so no more extra units of failure. @_@

whats your major bud?

uhmmm... Hopefully... but right now my grades really sucks and now I'm going crazy @_@ I heard UST has this 8 unit policy, where those who had committed 8 units of failure will no longer be accepted. :scared: The worst part is I have more than 8 units of failure. Somebody comfort me... T_T I'm failing not because I don't understand the lectures but because I'm no good with exams.

but there is actually a somehow brightened side of it I'm a graduating student so no more extra units of failure. @_@

The Medicine program at UST is R I G O R O U S. Meaning...you take exams RIGHT and LEFT... First year is pretty straight forward...2nd year...you start having to 'juggle' subjects because of the academic load, exams start to over-lap with other exams & projects. Third year is just plain Krazy! You have 2-3 quizzes or more almost EVERY DAY...

Console you NOT if you're NO good at exams... Choose another school :oops:

T_T I really wanted UST for my med school... and I may not be one of the best students :smuggrin: but in the future I aspire to be one of the greatest doctor haha:D. I know to become the greatest I should have started years ago but I don't think its fair to be judge based on past performance because people change ^^ and also grades are given by man and man do make mistakes. ^^

so can anybody tell me if I can still make it to UST? haha

anyways, I can always have a go with other schools its just that I've dreamed of UST for so long now that I feel bad not being able to achieve my goal.

Umh I also wanted to go to UST-FMS. Just wondering kung kelan po yung start ng application. Pwede naman mag apply kahit sa dec pa ko mag nnmat ayt? :)

T_T I really wanted UST for my med school... and I may not be one of the best students :smuggrin: but in the future I aspire to be one of the greatest doctor haha:D. I know to become the greatest I should have started years ago but I don't think its fair to be judge based on past performance because people change ^^ and also grades are given by man and man do make mistakes. ^^

anyways, I can always have a go with other schools its just that I've dreamed of UST for so long now that I feel bad not being able to achieve my goal.

Lahat ng dreams or wishes ng isang person pwedeng iconvert para maging inspiration para ma achieve mo your goal- makapasok sa UST med. I feel the same way heheh. sana may mag post kung kelan yung start ng application. Hopefully makapasa. Gambatte sa ating lahat.

If you are passionate about it, go ahead and apply. You'll never know unless you apply, it's like wishing to win the lottery without buying a ticket.
But If I were you, apply to 2 other schools like FEU and UERM just for safety knowing that you'll probably be accepted in one of them.

If you are committed to your goal, you should apply, UST FMS will decide if you qualify for admission. ALSO, take note that UST FMS is requiring applicants to take a "UST FMS Admission Test" that will be administered at UST on January 10th, 2009. A schedule for the DATE of submission of applications has also been published by UST FMS. (The announcement was published in local newspapers this past Sunday.)

Epicora are you a Fil-Am?

Thx for your kind words! hehe That really made me more confident^^ and to answer some questions I think UST already started accepting applicants for med ^^ and no, i'm not a fil-am

If you are committed to your goal, you should apply, UST FMS will decide if you qualify for admission. ALSO, take note that UST FMS is requiring applicants to take a "UST FMS Admission Test" that will be administered at UST on January 10th, 2009. A schedule for the DATE of submission of applications has also been published by UST FMS. (The announcement was published in local newspapers this past Sunday.)

Hey. :) Will there really be a UST FMS Admission test? Will it be like the NMAT? Thanks!

Oh boy. Why does getting into medical schools in the Philippines getting harder and harder these days? UP Manila has its Return Services Agreement while UST has its UST FMS Admission Test. All these new requirements, talagang sakto pa for next school year. Hehe. How lucky. :)

Yikes, is it only given in the Philippines?

The advertisement in the local papers (Sunday), published for the second time this Sunday (Oct. 12th, 2008) states that the UST FMS Admission Test will be given on January 10th, 2009 at UST. It does not make mention of any other sites.

Also, the advertisement included a schedule for the submission of applications. The submission which is currently on-going is alphabetical and staggered.

For complete information call the USTFMS @ 406-1611, local 8381

Thanks USTanonymous.

I called the admissions office and it's confirmed that the exam is only given in the Philippines. However if you have already taken the MCATs they will accept it in lieu of the UST Entrance Exam (given that you have taken it prior to January 10th and is less than two years ago). Unfortunately those who wish to enroll in UST have to fly to the Philippines and take the exam because it's too late to take the MCATs (the next one is on January 30th, 2009).

I hope they make an make an exception for us in the States since airfare alone is already around $2k. Or at least have a testing site available in California otherwise they're gonna detract a lot filipino-americans from applying to the school as this announcement came in so late in the year.

Hey UST Anonymous,

Do you really think it's too late to take the MCAT exam on January 30th instead of having to fly to the Philippines to take the Entrance Exam? The lady in the admissions office said it would be late but I don't think she was sure of it. Is there anyone I can talk to regarding this?

Thanks

Hey UST Anonymous,

Do you really think it's too late to take the MCAT exam on January 30th instead of having to fly to the Philippines to take the Entrance Exam? The lady in the admissions office said it would be late but I don't think she was sure of it. Is there anyone I can talk to regarding this?

Thanks

I'm sorry but I don't have any information about the MCAT. I suggest you research the information on the MCAT website.

^ Oh no no, I'm aware of how to register for the MCATs, what I actually meant to ask is if it's too late to take the MCATs so I can use it in lieu of the entrance exam so I wouldn't have to go to the Philippines in January. Sorry the way I worded it was sorta confusing.

^^ okay I'm answering my own question. It will be too late to take the MCATs in January because scores don't come out until four weeks after the exam. Since the 1st MCAT available is on Jan. 30th, the scores won't likely be out until early March, which is after UST releases the list of successful applicants.

So this is bad news to those interested in in applying to UST.

Last edited:
The advertisement in the local papers (Sunday), published for the second time this Sunday (Oct. 12th, 2008) states that the UST FMS Admission Test will be given on January 10th, 2009 at UST. It does not make mention of any other sites.

Also, the advertisement included a schedule for the submission of applications. The submission which is currently on-going is alphabetical and staggered.

For complete information call the USTFMS @ 406-1611, local 8381

...from the UST website:
Announcement UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery is now accepting applications for First Year Medical Students October 13-24, 2008 Surnames A - H October 27 - November 7, 2008 Surnames I - P November 10-21, 2008 Surnames Q - Z Deadline for submission of transcript of records" December 1, 2008 Entrance Examination - January 10, 2008

is this the 1st time UST will conduct such test? i'm a bit curious. what are the usual contents of the admission test? and is it true that there will be no more interview for admission because of the forthcoming test?

gosh. i sound so desperate in making it to UST. :scared:

is this the 1st time UST will conduct such test? i'm a bit curious. what are the usual contents of the admission test? and is it true that there will be no more interview for admission because of the forthcoming test?

In the past 5 years or so, there has not been a UST FMS-based admission test, and there have been required interviews at times... It all is dependent on the decision(s) made by the USTFMS administration.

As far as the content/coverage of the USTFMS admission test goes, you probably should contact the Dean's Office and ask.

If you can, you should look at some exam questionaires ('samplexes') from some of the basic first year subjects to get an idea of the "testing style" of the UST faculty. It might be good to look at a copy of a "comprehensive examination", that is the exam that is given at the end of each academic year to all students at the corresponding levels through the third year.

Although I doubt that the content would be repeated 'verbatim', you can at least become familiar with 'how they like to ask questions'....

Good Luck! :D

nope. as ustanonymous said, this was conducted years ago. actually, this admissions test is PART of the requirements of your eligibility for 1st yr. this is given on the 1st (or was it 2nd?) sunday of january yearly. however, due to decreasing number of applicants, this was not conducted for around 3-4 yrs.

you don't have be anxious about this. as far as i remember, this is just a psychological exam. :) and it's just half day.

nope. as ustanonymous said, this was conducted years ago. actually, this admissions test is PART of the requirements of your eligibility for 1st yr. this is given on the 1st (or was it 2nd?) sunday of january yearly. however, due to decreasing number of applicants, this was not conducted for around 3-4 yrs.

you don't have be anxious about this. as far as i remember, this is just a psychological exam. :) and it's just half day.

oh!

so, if i'm not mistaken the test won't be like any NMAT-style exam with the basic sciences part? it'll be just a psych exam?

during those years when UST had their entrance exam, what was their NMAT cut-off? i'll be taking the NMAT this december and i hope i do get into UST. argh!

oh!

so, if i'm not mistaken the test won't be like any NMAT-style exam with the basic sciences part? it'll be just a psych exam?

during those years when UST had their entrance exam, what was their NMAT cut-off? i'll be taking the NMAT this december and i hope i do get into UST. argh!

yes. as far as i remember, there were no questions pertaining to the basic sciences. UNLESS the admissions committee decided to change the entire content of your upcoming entrance exam. my advice is be prepared for anything.

way before when the psychological exam was still conducted, the NMAT cut-off score was 65 then. however, the admissions committee was very strict w/ their requirements. they only accepted 400 applicants.