USUHS fall 2016 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaBo24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering applying for the military track (AF) clinical psychology program, but I have no idea if I really stand a chance. I have my undergrad in social psychology and I'm finishing my master's in I/O psychology. I've been enlisted finance for 11 years (combination of active and guard). I am assuming the program is highly competitive. Does anyone know the average number of applicants they receive for AF each year? Do people ever get in the first time they apply? I would really love the opportunity being that TA doesn't cover doctoral programs and I have used most of my GI bill. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying as well for 2016-2017. This is my first year applying. Is there anyone else who sent in their application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I just joined this site. I submitted my app in September. Playing this waiting game. Not sure if I got a shot. Low gre score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Starbrite48 my GRE scores weren't the best either. But I do feel like I might have a shot. I don't have any research experience do you?

Very little. Is this your first time applying? This is my first time. I at least want to experience this round so if I don't make it through, I can get some clear guidance on how to make it more competitive next year.

Never mind. I read your earlier post. Lol. This long waiting period is increasing my anxiety and lowering my attention to detail. lol.

I know exactly how you feel. There's nothing more I want than to get in. Are you in the military?

I'm really hoping that not too many people apply but I heard it's about 300 applicants. That's kinda depressing.

Yes. I am in the military. I was looking at stats from past years, it's pretty competitive. You know if you got a good chance if you get selected for an interview.

Air Force. I am applying for an AF position. I heard a rumor that if you do get accepted but there are no slots available in the branch you want that they offer you other open branches such as Army or Navy? Do you know if that's true?

I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about that. I am in the Air Force as well. I honestly didn't know that many people know about this program

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey have you heard anything yet? This waiting game is killing me.

If you look at Grad Cafe, the emails for interview invites typically go out at the end of January or beginning of February, so you'll have to wait at least a month.

Thank you. I thought they would start sending sometime soon. Have you applied as well?

I can not be the only person who is extremely anxious? This wait is just terrible.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh thank goodness lol I think they get back from break Jan 3, maybe a week after that I'll give them a call.

lol fingers crossed!! I do know they send out the last invitation for an interview on or around Jan 17th.

Just relax. This is a good opportunity to practice some self-care, especially as this won't be the last time you'll have a similar experience, e.g. internship match.

Thank you @Starbrite48. @psych.meout easier said than done. I am trying so hard to stay calm and not freak out.

Think about, they don't usually extend interview offers until January and it's December. It's understandable to feel anxious about such a consequential aspect of your future, but when you have evidence that you should not worry yet about not receiving news, you should not let the anxiety hold sway. Just recall what you (should) have learned about cognitive restructuring.

You are absolutely correct but my neuroticism is at an all time high. I honestly won't get over it until Jan 17th.

Hi everyone!

I applied for this program (again) this application round. I was rejected last app round (2015) and hope to be slightly more competitive this time around. I applied to work with M.H. and applied as a civilian into the Military track, interests in SI/prevention.

One odd thing I noticed in the program's stats sheet is that they do not indicate how many applicants the programs receive per year. Does anyone know where we can locate this information? Why would the program not post this significant stat on their website... :yeahright:

I asked the director in an email and he said 300 plus students apply each year.

The next few weeks will be tough. My coworkers keep asking me if I heard anything and that doesn't help at all.

Yeah what did it say? I haven't received any emails from them.

I was interviewed for the military track--according to the present mil students, they typically take a month to negotiate the military side of things when selecting folks for the military track. I'm hoping that means the selections that were posted at GC are the civilians.

All interviews have been extended, for both military and civilians interested in military track. Dr. Waters sent out offer emails to all, I know a civilian military colleague who interviewed and just received his over the phone rejection when inquiring about the status. I heard it was really competitive this year!

I don't know the Air force numbers but I can tell you the Army numbers. We have two of the 2 year scholarships and 6 0f the 1 year scholarships. For the 2 years we have had no one apply yet so both slots are still open. For the 1 year scholarship we have have had 8 applicants and only 4 have been selected out of the 6 slots. We usually have a couple more slots then the Air Force in most categories so I hope that helps!

Last edited:
All interviews have been extended, for both military and civilians interested in military track. Dr. Waters sent out offer emails to all, I know a civilian military colleague who interviewed and just received his over the phone rejection when inquiring about the status. I heard it was really competitive this year!
Interviews or offers?