USUHS post-9/11 GI Bill transfer timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarrieD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does time at USUHS count toward the service requirement for transferring the post-9/11 GI Bill to a dependent? Basically, if you go to USUHS, and then a military residency, can you transfer 2 years or 6 years after graduating from USUHS?

I've looked through all the old forums on this, and have found conflicting answers. Would appreciate anyone who is more in the know, or preferably who has actually done or tried to do this, chiming in! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

No, USUHS time does not count. You have to wait until 6 years after graduating USUHS in order to transfer. You will also have to commit to 4 more. However, the USUHS commitment generally takes people to 10 years with a residency and the 7 year payback. The 4 for the GI Bill transfer is concurrent so no big deal at that point. This website doesn't talk about USUHS, but in Title 10 of the US Code it talks about how time at USUHS doesn't count for time in service with the exception of having the added retirement multiplier.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp

No, USUHS time does not count. You have to wait until 6 years after graduating USUHS in order to transfer. You will also have to commit to 4 more. However, the USUHS commitment generally takes people to 10 years with a residency and the 7 year payback. The 4 for the GI Bill transfer is concurrent so no big deal at that point. This website doesn't talk about USUHS, but in Title 10 of the US Code it talks about how time at USUHS doesn't count for time in service with the exception of having the added retirement multiplier.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp

I was able to transfer prior to six years post graduation, but you could probably get six different lawyers to give you six different answers. All the VA says is six years on active duty it doesn't say the time has to be creditable or any other caveats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to transfer prior to six years post graduation, but you could probably get six different lawyers to give you six different answers. All the VA says is six years on active duty it doesn't say the time has to be creditable or any other caveats.

Interesting and awesome. I usually figure it never hurts to ask. I admit this didn't apply to me because I had over 10 years before I went to USUHS.

I did ROTC to USUHS and was able to transfer post 9/11 GI benefits exactly 2 years after graduating USUHS. So apparently, my USUHS time counted for 4 of the 6 years. However, many of my colleagues who did not come from ROTC were unable to do the same.