USUHS Waitlist 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdbolthead24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread for the current people on the USUHS waitlist, and/or already accepted class for the recent most admissions cycle. I interviewed in January (late applicant) and received a waitlist letter in February. I thought this post would be helpful so we can all keep each other up to date! Please post when you interviewed, stats, and plans on matriculating or not at USUHS (for those already accepted). Thanks!

Hopeful waitlist student, 1/16/14 interview, 3.75 GPA 29 MCAT (10B 11P 8VR), only took the MCAT once in July after ~3 months of study, this is my top choice if I get in off the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on November 14th and was waitlisted for the Navy on January 26th. My stats were 3.5 GPA (cumulative and science...from UVA), 33 MCAT (12 PS, 10 V, 11 B), no prior military experience but lots of volunteer work in the US and overseas. One of my interviewers told me he was giving his "highest recommendation to the committee" at the end of my interview with him. I received a call from Dean Saguil at the end of February and was told I would most likely get pulled off in May. I went to second look a week ago and was told there were 80 people on the Navy waitlist and 50 on the other two. He advised people who weren't 100% for the Navy to email him with there 2nd choice preference. I am 100% for the Navy so I won't be changing branches....hopefully others will though. I have sent in an update at the end of every month with regards to my school work/added hours from shadowing and talking with military physicians.

Hoping this turns out for the better, this is my #1 school and I hate waiting. I am on 3 other waitlists as well so I have already started preparing to take a year off and reapply. blleeeehhhhh

Thanks for sharing and nice MCAT! and I too have no prior military experience. I also got a call from Saguil (sometime in February) in which he asked me how much I preferred the Navy, because the other waitlists had less people. I told him it was a slight advantage and nothing that would prevent me from accepting an offer to the other branch. When I spoke to him in February, he said the Navy had around 50 people on the waitlist and the airforce and army had about half of that, it seems from your update that those numbers have bloated a bit. I've been emailing back and forth with Saguil, and although he has never said "you will most likely get pulled off in May" (jealous of that btw lol) he has seemed optimistic about my chances. Fingers crossed, ay? Just checked my email and was complete 10/21 :/ wish I would have found out about the school before Fall!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask how you prepared for the MCAT? and the length of study? I used a set of Kaplan books from my gf that are 2-3 years old for material, then I used EK 101 verbal passages (score went from 3-8 by the end of it) and some other EK workbooks for practice in physics, chem, and bio. I studied at SDSU as a Bio major. I was working and going to school in Spring of 13 and didnt start preparing for the mcat until April, hence throwing me off track to be an early applicant (which I later learned is a big deal ! lol)

Thanks for sharing and nice MCAT! and I too have no prior military experience. I also got a call from Saguil (sometime in February) in which he asked me how much I preferred the Navy, because the other waitlists had less people. I told him it was a slight advantage and nothing that would prevent me from accepting an offer to the other branch. When I spoke to him in February, he said the Navy had around 50 people on the waitlist and the airforce and army had about half of that, it seems from your update that those numbers have bloated a bit. I've been emailing back and forth with Saguil, and although he has never said "you will most likely get pulled off in May" (jealous of that btw lol) he has seemed optimistic about my chances. Fingers crossed, ay? Just checked my email and was complete 10/21 :/ wish I would have found out about the school before Fall!!!

Thanks!! I actually only found out about the school in the fall too haha. I was head set on HPSP and then my recruiter mentioned USUHS in October and I immediately added USUHS to my AMCAS and applied. Whats funny is I was invited to interview in november exactly 1 hour after my application was considered "complete" in late october. I was hoping that was a good sign meaning they wanted me but alas, I am stuck on this waitlist. Don't worry about him not saying when you will get pulled off, one of the things I love about Dean Saguil is that he knows how to stay impartial to what other people say to him. On second look day there were tons of people asking him about the waitlist and I think he knows that everyone wants to get off. If you told him that you will take any branch but still prefer the navy if possible, then you have a very good chance of getting in!

Can I ask how you prepared for the MCAT? and the length of study? I used a set of Kaplan books from my gf that are 2-3 years old for material, then I used EK 101 verbal passages (score went from 3-8 by the end of it) and some other EK workbooks for practice in physics, chem, and bio. I studied at SDSU as a Bio major. I was working and going to school in Spring of 13 and didnt start preparing for the mcat until April, hence throwing me off track to be an early applicant (which I later learned is a big deal ! lol)

So actually I didn't do too many insane things like a lot of people here on SDN do to prepare for the MCAT. Once my classes ended last May, I studied for 4 weeks and took my test June 20th and rocked it. I used only the most recent Princeton Review books and used AAMC tests #3 and #11. I literally just did practice problems all day every day for 4 weeks...I didn't do as much studying information as I did practicing problems. When I didn't know how to do a problem, I went and learned the equations or information behind it, and kept chugging along. I wouldn't necessarily advise this for other people as this is just how I learn best. I can't retain information over a 2 or 3 month study plan so I had to condense it to 4 weeks. The nice thing about it was that because I did so many practice problems, several of them appeared on my test almost word-for-word. I had an entire passage that was identical to one of the Princeton Review's practice sets. Maybe I am just really lucky haha.

Alright, so here it goes...

Interviewed November 21st. When I interviewed I had a 3.97 overall (now a 3.96), 32 MCAT (11 PS and BS, 10 VR), no prior military service but I was in the process of doing Navy HPSP when I interviewed. I got put on the Navy waitlist, but I told Dr. Saguil I'm also interested in Air Force (and would take Army if it was the only way to get in). I've wanted to be in the military since I was a child, and I REALLY want to go to USUHS.

And as you'd imagine I've been anxiously waiting by my phone for the fateful call (although nothing's come around yet). Hopefully it comes sooner than later!

Thanks OP for starting this thread!

Also wait listed.....no preference.
Interviewed Jan 16, at which time all four branches were full.
Received a call, informing of my wait list status, in early March from Mrs. Stearman.
No news since attending second look.
Dr. Saguil said there will be more wait list mvmt in April as applicants start receiving finaid info.

Any other wait listers heard anything?

Good luck everyone!