Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately the school is on base, so you would definitely have to let them know before showing up. I would just contact admissions to see if/when you can visit.

I believe their average mcat is 30ish, so 29 isn't too far off the mark. Again, their main goal is to admit students that want to be military physicians. If you can show them that, then i think you would be fine with a 29. However, a better score will always work in your favor.

Good to know! Thanks again for the responses-- hopefully the cycle will go well for me ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if USUHS accepts any online courses? I took DPPP 350 and 351 with UNE (online organic chemistry) because I've been deployed and am stationed overseas. I THINK I'll have the opportunity to retake O Chem I and II at a community college this fall and spring but am trying to get anyone's experience with this. Thanks

Does anyone know if USUHS accepts any online courses? I took DPPP 350 and 351 with UNE (online organic chemistry) because I've been deployed and am stationed overseas. I THINK I'll have the opportunity to retake O Chem I and II at a community college this fall and spring but am trying to get anyone's experience with this. Thanks

All of your science pre-reqs, like gen-chem, o-chem, and physics could not be online. I know from my time in the Army that for every rule there's an exception. If I was you, I would call admissions and see if you can do the labs in person at a community college or on-post education center to see if you can get around this. They're more apt to be sympathetic to you taking care of your pre-reqs online while deployed. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)

A very easy Google search returned a very quick "No"

http://www.usuhs.mil/medschool/somadmissionrequirements.html

I would expect very few allopathic schools to accept any online coursework. Also realize that most require lab work in the courses for it to count, hard to get that in an online setting.

I emailed admissions this morning just waiting on their reply. The online course actually did have a virtual lab but I also completely understand that isn't the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USUHS (according to the admissions office, conflicted based on some discussions I've had with people who were accepted) does not accept ANY online course work. Whether for prerequisites, for degrees, or for post-bac work. No lectures or labs (which I assumed) of any kind.

As implied I have talked to people who were accepted that had online coursework included in both med school pre-reqs, and in their core coursework.

What I have not seen is anyone who had an online degree accepted. So it still seems like a course here or there is ok, but their official policy is none at all.

For anyone curious, I am retaking organic chem in a class room. Good news is it should be easier? I also don't feel it was a waste of time because it helped me prepare for the MCAT which I would have had to learn on my own, or delay my application another year if I hadn't taken it.

@backrow: I knew their policy as stated on the website, I was looking for some responses first-hand, which I got a few of, but I do appreciate the leg work and link.

@natemiller82: I was somewhat expecting that as well. 13 years in the Navy has taught me that there are always exceptions, including to the rule "no exceptions."

Glycine, yeah, I'm just stating what the assistant dean of admission said at the interview regarding the GPA. He plays a big role in your application evaluation as well as is the one that personally extends the offers. He's a really down-to-earth nice guy actually. It doesn't sound like the school has an official policy on this, but it may be more him or them taking a look at your post-bacc success and chocking a poor undergrad GPA up to immaturity if the candidate has shown the ability to perform otherwise. Good luck on your ochem and application; I was curious what they'd tell you regarding that. Some of my coursework towards my undergrad was online, but none of my core science classes were, but they took my coursework.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

They told me no to the ochem online, BUT I'm sending my application and if they don't ask me to retake it, I'm not going to. I have however applied for and registered for a class to cover myself either way.

Well, submitted my application and got my last transcript in, now the waiting game. I heard a rumor that USUHS was changing their secondary app this year but if they don't I have that pre-written as well. Suppose the rest is out of my hands!

Three quick questions. I'm a long way from applying (2 semesters into undergrad), but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post.

1) Is a significant dip in GPA (for a semester) terrible? My first semester undergrad was 3.93 (4.0sci, with easy intro stuff), then my second semester was a 3.23 (C in calc II, B in chem II) due to pledging a fraternity and d*cking around for a few too many months. I am a hard-working kid and will NOT let that happen again. I just want to know, if I can bring my current 3.55 up to say a 3.75, would the dip look really bad? Coming from a relatively small school of 1500 undergrads (I don't go to OSU, I just like them), does USU look differently on any of this, favorably or otherwise? By small school, I don't mean like small and A-class (read: Harvard). I mean a small liberal arts school.

2) I've been a lifeguard (I know, irrelevant) for 3+ years because I always liked the idea of looking after people and their safety, especially knowing how to save people. I recently got another job to be a camp counselor (1 counselor to 3-4 campers) with various disabilities, including muscular dystrophies, autism, and a host of other stuff. How would the latter job fair with "clinical experience." I called the admission office yesterday, and she said they like to see hands on contact with patients, and that this job would be "acceptable." I would be doing some physical therapy and stretches for these campers, seeing a variety of disabilities among ages 3-50, and work about 30-35 hours every other weekend. Would it be wise to still volunteer in a hospital, or work as an orderly, or whatnot? Does holding a job for a long time look good (reason I mentioned lifeguarding).

3) How important is research? I did a volunteer research internship (glorified shadowing) at a relatively well-known lab summer between high school and UG through a friend's father. Is this satisfactory? I didn't do much other than grunt work, but it didn't seem like a place I want to spend too much time in if I don't need it to get into med school (I'd like to be a surgeon). I'm planning on shadowing various doctors (civilian and milmed) next summer to get an idea of possibly areas of interest. Milmed is a definite, though.

Bonus Question) Least important question about the military... brace yourselves. Are ACUs comfortable? They look so dang hot. Also, do you get reimbursed when you buy 'em, or do they come out of your first paycheck as I understand they do in Basic.

Any suggestions for what I could do to better my experiences and maybe boost an application along the way would be welcomed.

1- Almost nothing is unrecoverable. Mention and explain it either in your essay or in interviews even if it doesn't come up, and have a good explanation (better than d*cking around haha. "Oh by the way my grades were low that semester because I was juggling community service and learning time management." Especially good if your grades significantly improve after you learned your lesson).

2- The reason a job in medicine is good is because they want to know how you know you'll like medicine (more than watching ER on tv and thinking it looked cool). Your job sounds great! Talk it up because it sounds like a huge plus, especially if you're passionate about it. Don't get a job just to look good- only if you think it would be fun. (Btw a looong time ago I worked as an aide on the night shift on a med/surg floor. Great experience and I still find myself drawing on some of the lessons I learned there. Pay was good too :)

3- Research becomes much more important the farther you go in medicine. Very doable without any, but a huge plus with. Especially if you're interested in continuing. It looks really good for institutions and programs when you get published with their name attached. The more that's published the better they look, the more money they get... Like betting on a race horse, and if you've published or done research and want to continue you're a good bet. Sorry for the crude analogy.

4- the working uniforms (ACUs Army and BDUs Navy) super comfortable. Not that hot at all. But, um, go Navy. You'll never regret it :) I'm sure this will open a firestorm, but I'll stand by it! I somewhat randomly decided at my interview, and boy am I glad for so many reasons!!

Great! Thanks man. I love the new job so far. Hopefully I'll love it enough to do it the next few years.
So far I'm 1. Army 2. Navy 3. Air Force, but I have quite a bit of time to figure that out! Thanks for the great answers.

Hello all, this is my first post so please be gentle. This question goes out to all current/past USUHS students. I am reapplying to med schools June 2015. I only applied to USUHS in 2013, because it has always been my dream to go there. I have no military background in my family. I have a BS (3.3) and BA (3.2) in physics and chemistry from Ohio State, and have just received a MS (3.2) in biomedical engineering at Northwestern University. I have published a paper through an orthopedic surgery internship in the Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics and am currently working as an analytical chemist on drug-delivery physio-kinematics for implantable devices at Northwestern. I interned at the Naval Research Lab and worked on microfluidic systems, but had no outstanding results to publish (other than deriving an optical/fluid force equation for future research experiments).

My goal has always been to be a military MD. During my undergrad I worked in the radiology dept, while conducting research in the chemical physics lab. I spent my summers researching at hospitals or taking coursework, and took the MCAT again this past week. I am beginning to feel that my resume is too research oriented, and that admissions may not take me seriously as wanting to be an MD. I have volunteered at a hospital for the past 4 years, and have intensely shadowed physicians for a summer (I worked/slept in the hospital for 3 months while working as a "nurse's aid" for residents and nurses). Does my background deter me from being looked at as a good potential medical applicant? Do my GPAs seem to be what's holding me back? More importantly, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to acquire clinical experience that looks impressive to admissions? I need to start paying back my massive loans... and although I could easily get an industry job with a high salary, I've chosen to work as an underpaid tech to hopefully squeeze in a clinical position (orderly/scribe) if I can find one. I am trying to find a scribe position, but have failed to find positions at any of the hospitals in my area (Chicago).

I apologize if any of my concerns have already been answered sometime in the forum, but I thought I'd try to post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does my GPAs seem to be what's holding me back?

Unfortunately, yes. You have a ton of extracurricular activity, which probably brought your gpa down a bit. This is a cautionary note that I often preach to pre-meds: You dont have to have a ton of ECs to get into medical school...work on your grades, your gpa is more important. (You can do 1 or 2 non-time-consuming ECs, thats fine...but you dont have to publish, dont have to save the world).

In your case: not all is lost. Rock the mcat and you might have a chance at getting in. Consider the DO route as well.

Unfortunately, yes. You have a ton of extracurricular activity, which probably brought your gpa down a bit. This is a cautionary note that I often preach to pre-meds: You dont have to have a ton of ECs to get into medical school...work on your grades, your gpa is more important. (You can do 1 or 2 non-time-consuming ECs, thats fine...but you dont have to publish, dont have to save the world).

In your case: not all is lost. Rock the mcat and you might have a chance at getting in. Consider the DO route as well.

Thanks for your input.
I know that it is a little late in my academic career to go back and boost my GPA... so is there anything that you'd suggest I could do to demonstrate my capacity to excel in a medical/clinical setting? I understand that my route isn't the most traditional... so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for your input.
I know that it is a little late in my academic career to go back and boost my GPA... so is there anything that you'd suggest I could do to demonstrate my capacity to excel in a medical/clinical setting? I understand that my route isn't the most traditional... so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Do well on the mcat. If you can score north of a 33 or 34, you'd be in decent position to apply for MD schools. If not, consider the DO route.

Agree, I have seen HPSP applications from tough schools like Purdue or RPI go against somewhat lesser known academic powerhouses (no offense to you bobcats out there) Texas State or Ohio U (Athens) and the higher GPA wins.
I have also seen people take Organic Chemistry in the summer at Vista College instead of risking their GPA, seems cheesy but whatever works I guess.

I'm sorry that happened. It is easy to get upset when you don't get what you want or what you expect. Unfortunately it happened. I think that writing off USUHS the next time around simply because you are upset would be short sighted. I was waitlisted my first year I applied and I had lots of prior military bells and whistles with a 30 MCAT, which was their average accepted score. But I got in the next year, make six figures as a med student and will be able to retire when my commitment is up. Don't forget that for prior officers there is a lot to like about USUHS.

There's absolutely nothing in that story to indicate USUHS doesn't take a "holistic" approach. All it tells me is that a crappy MCAT score can't always be overcome by other factors and that USUHS doesn't favor current AD service members as much as thought. To say they're not holistic implies they dismissed her application based on MCAT score without consideration of other factors. Thus far, there is no evidence that is the case.

A 23 on the MCAT is just terrible. Its two SDs below the average accepted allopathic student. Excuses are irrelevant. OERs are meaningless. Polite comments at an open house are meaningless unless she was wearing a badge that said 23. Graduate GPA often inflated. She isn't entitled to anything and the fact that she even applied without retaking that MCAT suggests to me that she (and you) think she's a special snowflake. They told her to retake but it wasn't enough of a priority for her to prepare and do so. That was already more than they would do for a typical applicant. Blame USUHS all you want but this is not about them.

Last edited:
Were you expecting USUHS to have lesser standards for current/prior service applicants? Is that what "holistic" is code for?

The same holds for USUHS as it does for every other LCME-accredited medical school: you must meet minimum GPA and MCAT requirements to progress through the application process. The GPA and MCAT score should also be better than the bottom 10% of the applicant pool. I would submit that it was a poor decision to proceed with an AMCAS application with a 23 MCAT score.

I understand the position your wife is in; the first time I took the MCAT was right after a JRTC rotation and I scored a 27. I'd always been told I'd need at least a 29 with no individual score less than 9 to have even a minimal chance. For the next three years I tried to find time to study to make a better attempt, but my duties, life, and 2 PCS's intervened. Ultimately I had to ETS to be able to do what I needed to do to become a competitive applicant. The rules of the LCME-accredited med school application game still haven't changed: a good GPA and a good MCAT score are necessary to get past the first look for an interview.

Look at it from the university's perspective: USUHS is in a tougher position than almost every other medical school because it has the most capricious source of funding: the US Congress. USUHS is a perpetual target for the budget axe. USUHS needs to show it's graduating physicians that can pass their licensing exams and graduate their residencies to have even the bare minimum shot at convincing Congress to keep from shutting the school down. Unfortunately, poor MCAT performance is predictive of poor USMLE performance. Poor standard exam takers have a tough time in our current medical education and certification environment given the number of standardized exams one has to take. USUHS can afford to be only so permissive when considering MCAT scores, and realistically, 23 is just too low.

Best of luck to your wife on her retake.

ETA: Looks like armyhusband removed his post; probably a smart move given the amount of personally identifiable information in there.

Last edited:
but Medicine is Medicine,

Stop it. I hope your wife doesn't truly have the sense of entitlement that you're projecting. If she does, tell her to put the lid on it, it won't fly well during interview season. Just because you're a great veterinarian does not mean you'll make a great physician, nor does it mean that you're entitled to go to medical school. Not to beat a dead horse (and no pun intended there), but the MCAT score is way too low. You could be a medal-of-honor-Nobel-Prize-winning candidate with a letter of endorsement from the POTUS, you're still not going to get into any medical school with that score. If your wife is as hard working and accomplished as you've described her, she should study for and retake the exam, and she'll probably do a lot better. And that's the only way she's going to be able to get into medical school.

Lots of people assume USUHS has a mandate - or at least a preference - to select its students from within the ranks of the military. This is not the case.

USUHS admits the best qualified applicants. Prior or current military service is at best on the level of a good extracurricular activity. If you meet the threshold numbers for an interview, it may tip the scales.

But admission to USUHS is a GPA/MCAT driven numbers game like every other US allopathic medical school. A 23 MCAT is just too low, and there are too many applicants with 33+ scores, high GPAs, and the desire to be a doctor.

Anyone here a bruin? I need help filling out that basic addendum form with the ucla pre reqs (I know I'm late in the game.)

Does the UCLA core curriculum satisfy the USUHS requirements? That 1 year of inorganic lab and organic lab just isn't in UCLA's core curriculum and its causing me concern. THanks in advance.

Is it true that step 1 scores are also recorded as pass/fail on the transcripts of USUHS students? If so, how does one set himself apart from other applicants when it comes to match time?

Does anyone have any experience with receiving a conditional acceptance from USUHS? I need to send in remedial forms pertaining to my medical history but my Doctor's office has a two week turnaround for release of medical records so I'm trying to send them in as soon as possible.... but this won't delay any decision they make regarding a decision on admission vs. waitlist right? in short they don't wait until you're medically qualified to accept or wait list you right? I'm worried that my early interview advantage may be wasted on the fact that it may take a while to get my remedial paperwork turned in and reviewed....

A conditional acceptance is an acceptance. Congrats. Assuming you're medically qualified or waiverable, you're set. Do the paperwork. It's October ... a 2 week turnaround is nothing. No worries.

Does anyone have any experience with receiving a conditional acceptance from USUHS? I need to send in remedial forms pertaining to my medical history but my Doctor's office has a two week turnaround for release of medical records so I'm trying to send them in as soon as possible.... but this won't delay any decision they make regarding a decision on admission vs. waitlist right? in short they don't wait until you're medically qualified to accept or wait list you right? I'm worried that my early interview advantage may be wasted on the fact that it may take a while to get my remedial paperwork turned in and reviewed....
I just got an acceptance and also had a remedial...it's still an acceptance, and they will hold a spot for you until April(?), at which point you have to have to be medically qualified.

Also, it was only a 4-day turnaround for me from the time I submitted my remedial medical records to when I was deemed medically qualified. Obviously, it could differ for you depending on the condition and if they will require you to see a specialist or something.

Random question, but does anyone at USUHS have experience owning a pet (specifically a dog) while in school? Do they allow you to take it with you when you travel for rotations?

Random question, but does anyone at USUHS have experience owning a pet (specifically a dog) while in school? Do they allow you to take it with you when you travel for rotations?
Generally speaking, you could, but it would be at your expense. Usually the school arranges housing at BOQ or other on-base quarters, which generally don't allow pets. You can usually stay somewhere else, at higher cost, that might or might not be partially or fully covered by the TAD funding.

Air travel might be an issue. Some of the rotations are quite distant too. Bethesda to San Diego is

A good number of folks have dogs. They try and limit their way rotations as best as they can. Roommates tend to watch dogs for folks that are away also, if you have good roommates. Girlfriends/boyfriends/spouses are frequently used. There are also services like DogVacay, but a month is a long time. Or you could do like some do and try and set up every rotation "away" with as many as possible in the same spot and just move there.

Are you Navy, Army or Airforce?

There are several Navy inns/lodges that allow pets, but I can't be 100% sure about others. I've only stayed at one army lodge that did, but I've also stayed at very few army lodges.

If you don't have a pet yet, I'll throw out that cats deal with you being gone alot better than a dog would. If you already have a dog, you can make it work :)

You can improve all of it. You'll need to prepare for the new mcat. You should try to get your sgpa over 3.5. You need more clinical experience. You also need not to set your heart on a single school .

Reactions: 1 user
You can improve all of it. You'll need to prepare for the new mcat. You should try to get your sgpa over 3.5. You need more clinical experience. You also need not to set your heart on a single school .

I want to go for USUHS because it has been my true goal since I started education again after my military service (enlisted). My home of record is Texas, but Texas med schools require such high qualities that I believe I cannot achieve for at least another year or two. I think I might be just antsy about getting into medical school so soon because I am 26 years old, turning 27 in 2 months. I have read many posts about how waiting another year after graduation to apply is very common and not a bad idea since I could improve in so many areas.
I would feel too old as an applicant if I apply when I am 30 :3... I am still in shape to pass all physical requirement for USMC. Well.. as a second class PFT and CFTer.

I asked my hospital and they have a great opportunity to shadow physicians so I am going to do that for my clinical experience as well. I believe I can achieve up to 100+ hours at volunteer work by May this year.

I am planning to take the new MCAT in upcoming April or May. I am majoring in Psychology. I have my associates in liberal science. I am and have been practicing passages with the official guide for the new MCAT book, but haven't had a chance to take the practice test solely because I believe I am not ready for it yet, but will be soon!

I have looked at many other med schools and if I ever get accepted, I will probably use HPSP because of financial stability and am planning to serve until I retire. I do not fear deployments (my husband says i am crazy for that lol..) I am married and I have constantly worked as a translator at hospitals and physicians for Korean elders. I believe I have plenty of clinical experiences, but maybe need to be able to put them in words.
when I worked for the ophthalmologist, I worked as a medical assistance and I have helped him in OR for lots of cataract surgeries. I do not have EMT certificates like many other people, or thousands of hours to be compared at.. but few friends that are already in med schools have told me about how even dancing majors and competitions could be looked at as curriculum activities that can be a plus for an applicant

I recalculated my GPAs by the time I apply in this upcoming summer and it turns out to be cGPA at 3.78, sGPA at 3.32. sGPA is still too low, but I am going to work hard for the new MCAT to compensate for my low sGPA. I am going to apply for post bac programs as well.

I guess.. I am in need of figuring out if I should wait another year to apply for med schools or if I should go for it and be confident with what I have. If you think what I offer is too little, then I am open for criticisms to not apply this year.

I want to go for USUHS because it has been my true goal since I started education again after my military service (enlisted). My home of record is Texas, but Texas med schools require such high qualities that I believe I cannot achieve for at least another year or two. I think I might be just antsy about getting into medical school so soon because I am 26 years old, turning 27 in 2 months. I have read many posts about how waiting another year after graduation to apply is very common and not a bad idea since I could improve in so many areas.
I would feel too old as an applicant if I apply when I am 30 :3... I am still in shape to pass all physical requirement for USMC. Well.. as a second class PFT and CFTer.

I asked my hospital and they have a great opportunity to shadow physicians so I am going to do that for my clinical experience as well. I believe I can achieve up to 100+ hours at volunteer work by May this year.

I am planning to take the new MCAT in upcoming April or May. I am majoring in Psychology. I have my associates in liberal science. I am and have been practicing passages with the official guide for the new MCAT book, but haven't had a chance to take the practice test solely because I believe I am not ready for it yet, but will be soon!

I have looked at many other med schools and if I ever get accepted, I will probably use HPSP because of financial stability and am planning to serve until I retire. I do not fear deployments (my husband says i am crazy for that lol..) I am married and I have constantly worked as a translator at hospitals and physicians for Korean elders. I believe I have plenty of clinical experiences, but maybe need to be able to put them in words.
when I worked for the ophthalmologist, I worked as a medical assistance and I have helped him in OR for lots of cataract surgeries. I do not have EMT certificates like many other people, or thousands of hours to be compared at.. but few friends that are already in med schools have told me about how even dancing majors and competitions could be looked at as curriculum activities that can be a plus for an applicant

I recalculated my GPAs by the time I apply in this upcoming summer and it turns out to be cGPA at 3.78, sGPA at 3.32. sGPA is still too low, but I am going to work hard for the new MCAT to compensate for my low sGPA. I am going to apply for post bac programs as well.

I guess.. I am in need of figuring out if I should wait another year to apply for med schools or if I should go for it and be confident with what I have. If you think what I offer is too little, then I am open for criticisms to not apply this year.

Your GPA is within range and it all depends on the MCAT. I wouldn't plan on delaying another year, but maybe make a plan in case you don't get in. In other words after you apply, continue to do things to strengthen your application (post bac, more volunteering, etc). You can send updates in as well, and if you end up needing to apply a second year you will have things to add to your application.

Your prior military experience will be looked at positively, but won't outweigh too much else. That said there isn't anything glaring in your application that you'd need to overcome. Keep working on the MCAT and take it early so you aren't waiting on results for your application.

Reactions: 1 users
I got into USUHS with similar GPAs and a 30 on the MCAT. I was also 35 when I started so it isn't that big of a deal. If I were you I would also apply to TX school. I think your military background will give you a bit of an edge in a state like that. Plus their schools are dirt cheat. Have you looked at HSCP? You should check that out as a back up to USUHS if you get into a state school. That goes quite nicely with the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Yes! I am currently using Post 911 GI Bill to finish my undergraduate degree which is amazing!
I believe Hazlewood covers up to 180 hours in graduate schools too.

The reason I want to go to USUHS is because there are many aspects in military life style that I want to live.
The sense of pride in wearing the uniforms representing that I am protecting and serving the country, the sense of belonging, the financial stability.. well, i could go on forever with this lol

Another question if anyone knows about it.
Does your prior service record matter in the admissions?

Texas is a great state for med school options. The full gamut of schools including some that are less competitive than USUHS. Take your benefits from service ( ie Hazelwood) and get on with it. Medical translator is GREAT clinical exposure that wasn't in your OP. Go for it. Focus on the mcat and then apply broadly within TX plus you can apply to USUHS for good measure.

Okay so I'm not sure if this question has been answered somewhere in the past 53 pages, but I am wondering about when/how to schedule the physical. I am worried about being disqualified for my use of anti-anxiety medication several years back and am wondering how waivers work. I also have several tattoos (none of them visible) and have heard from others that I will need approval for those as well. Basically I would like to get this process started now so I know if I am even eligible to attend USUHS. Any input is appreciated, but looking for those with specific knowledge!

Okay so I'm not sure if this question has been answered somewhere in the past 53 pages, but I am wondering about when/how to schedule the physical. I am worried about being disqualified for my use of anti-anxiety medication several years back and am wondering how waivers work. I also have several tattoos (none of them visible) and have heard from others that I will need approval for those as well. Basically I would like to get this process started now so I know if I am even eligible to attend USUHS. Any input is appreciated, but looking for those with specific knowledge!

You will be sent information, by mail, about scheduling your physical. It involves making an online account, filling out a medical history form, and calling the physician's office and optometrist's office they assign to you and making your own appointments, which you report online. I don't think you can do any of this before they send you instructions.

My advice if you already know your red flags is to be proactive and gather supportive documentation from physicians about your condition ahead of time - something along the lines of a letter from the physician who treated you explaining the effect (or lack thereof) of your condition on your ability to be a med student/military physician. I wish I did this ahead of time!

As for finding out whether you're eligible, perhaps you could contact admissions or attend an open house or outside event they send staff to. They don't make the decision regarding your physical qualification but they have heard it all before.

Hope this helps! :)

Just a little question. I currently have a 3.99 GPA, a 32 MCAT, Eagle Scout, well over 1000 hours of community service from different activities, 300-400 hours of research, etc. I am about to hit my patient exposure and shadowing hot and heavy (probably in the role of a spanish translator in a hospital). If I get a B my last semester in college, which is this semester, will that look bad on my application or am I worrying about nothing? It would drop me to a 3.96 overall GPA.
You're worrying about nothing...

However you may have to retake the new version of the MCAT regardless depending on what the requirements end up being. I haven't seen how long USUHS is going to accept the old version.

Just a little question. I currently have a 3.99 GPA, a 32 MCAT, Eagle Scout, well over 1000 hours of community service from different activities, 300-400 hours of research, etc. I am about to hit my patient exposure and shadowing hot and heavy (probably in the role of a spanish translator in a hospital). If I get a B my last semester in college, which is this semester, will that look bad on my application or am I worrying about nothing? It would drop me to a 3.96 overall GPA.

Is this a joke? I honestly would like to see you get a C...only to see what will happen. Will you be able to cope and handle it? How do you handle failure? If you have never experienced it...how do we know you won't go off the deep end?

Wouldn't Eagle Scout be something that transcends your high school experience? Sure he was awarded and recognized in high school but isn't he still doing Eagle Scout activities or at the very least mentoring other scouts?
If that's the case then it's worth mentioning as mentoring or current activities. But if it's something earned in high school and not continued then I believe it's not. The rest of the post sort of screams troll though anyways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk