UT Houston class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if there were any med students still looking for housing/roommates and if it's at all reasonable to hope for housing under $500 close to the school...

If anyone has any advice or knows of someone still looking, I'd love to hear from you.

I'm 23, female, from Texas, and have a cat (who is stikingly well-behaved).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

there seem to be several people looking for roommates on the UT medical school at houston class of 2014 facebook group. you may want to check that out if you haven't already.

Hi new friends!!!! And welcome to UTH!!! I'm a 3rd year (1 week away from 4th year!!!!!) so feel free to ask any questions. I've retained a small amount of memories regarding 1st and 2nd year. I'm also married with 2 dogs, but lived alone for the first 2 (almost 3) years of school, so if you have any questions related to that let me know.

I haven't posted in FOR-ev-er but 4th year should put a little more time into my schedule. Have as much fun as you can this summer and get excited for what is to come!

:thumbup: :welcome:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi new friends!!!! And welcome to UTH!!! I'm a 3rd year (1 week away from 4th year!!!!!) so feel free to ask any questions. I've retained a small amount of memories regarding 1st and 2nd year. I'm also married with 2 dogs, but lived alone for the first 2 (almost 3) years of school, so if you have any questions related to that let me know.

I haven't posted in FOR-ev-er but 4th year should put a little more time into my schedule. Have as much fun as you can this summer and get excited for what is to come!

:thumbup: :welcome:

Hey, thanks for the welcome! Congrats on finishing 3rd year and good luck applying for residency this year. I am getting really excited about moving to Houston. Were you able to adequately take care of your dogs this year during rotations or was it mostly your spouses responsibility while you were on rotations? I ask because I have a dog and I've been worrying about this issue recently :).

P.S. How did you decide on radiology? I have been thinking about a couple specialties including rads, but we will see what my grades/step 1 scores will allow! Haha

I am a female medical resident traveling to UTHouston for an elective (Jan31 - Feb 25). I am looking for a shared space/room during that time. If anyone is willing to forward an email to their listserv, I would be very grateful. Thanks everyone and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

yeah, I've been struggling with the short sleeves as well. I know there are "tall" sizes sold by the same company (Dilly) but I haven't sprung for one yet. Those are probably worth looking at. This has the right pocket placement.

I've heard that it's supposed to be nice having the sleeves a little shorter because you won't get them as dirty when you're seeing patients. It looks pretty dumb when your shirt sleeves are showing full cuff + sleeve, though.

Sorry for the very late comment on this reply, 18 12hr night shifts in a month does not leave much SDN free time. I am sure that it is quite obvious that I am a bit behind in finishing the entering student checklist after reading this message...

If I were to order the coat from the manufaturer above, would anything be missing that the bookstore does when you order from them (putting your name on it or something)? Also is it possible to only order the patch from the book store or simply just pick one up from them?

On a side note, I just got a friendly reminder email that I still need to send a photo for the student badge/ roster. It says streets clothes, that literally means just a t-shirt or a polo right?

We don't put names on our coats, just the patch on the left breast pocket. I'm not sure if they will deliver the patch alone, but I'm sure someone who is working on campus this summer might be able to help you out.

You can wear a t-shirt for your badge if you want. I wore a polo. Most people wore that kind of thing.

Hey, thanks for the welcome! Congrats on finishing 3rd year and good luck applying for residency this year. I am getting really excited about moving to Houston. Were you able to adequately take care of your dogs this year during rotations or was it mostly your spouses responsibility while you were on rotations? I ask because I have a dog and I've been worrying about this issue recently :).

P.S. How did you decide on radiology? I have been thinking about a couple specialties including rads, but we will see what my grades/step 1 scores will allow! Haha

I definitely had help from my husband with the dogs. When you're on call you've got to have help. I do know one other student that sends her dog to doggy daycare so that is an option too. My dogs have survived the long days of OB/Gyn, but call is really the biggest issue. We also are in a condo so we don't have a backyard to let them out in during the day. If you had a place with a backyard you'd prob be ok.

I had never even considered rads until a neuroradiology conference while I was on neuro surgery. We went through pretty much the entire thought process of the radiologist and when I saw exactly what they did I realized THAT was what I wanted to do. Before that I had been pedi :) big switch but i'm excited!

I feel like I am the only one left that has not received their finaid! When does the package generally arrive?

Thanks!

I feel like I am the only one left that has not received their finaid! When does the package generally arrive?

Thanks!

I haven't received mine either. I plan on calling first thing in the morning.

I received mine like a week and a half ago, and I filled out everything for it REALLY early. I bet they're coming soon. I just don't know who to ask about the UTH scholarship I applied for since I haven't heard anything about it. Already been denied 3 others so far :( Good thing UTH is half as much as my undergrad was!

I was accepted 6/23 and still waiting on my financial aid packet. I went up to financial aid office today and they said they were still processing my FAFSA and I would get something in the mail within the next two weeks. Seems like it takes a month for them to get something out. If it has been longer than a month, then I would call or go visit. They were extremely nice and helpful.

I honestly hope they will send me mine pretty soon. I applied for finaid over half a year ago!

Anyways, I have a couple of questions about retreat! Do people usually bring their boyfriend/girlfriend? If so do they stay at camp or hotel? Would it be boring for them?

Thanks!

There were a few serious boyfriends/girlfriends at retreat last year. I know a couple stayed at camp. One wife that I know of stayed at the hotel.

I don't think it would be boring for them. They'll be meeting a lot of people and can participate in all of the events. They might feel slightly out of place since a lot of people will think they are incoming students and will be asking a lot of questions, but it's nothing major.

My boyfriend is coming- I had the question about where we should stay. He's staying in the boys camp and I'm in the girls camp :D

does anyone know when where supposed to pay tuition?? other than that initial packet i recieved upon getting in, i havent recieved any stuff from ut-houston in the mail

are you guys set up on UTlink yet? Financial aid info is on there, at least it should say when it was mailed out. I just got my finaid earlier this week.

Tuition is due by August 13.

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if there were any med students still looking for housing/roommates and if it's at all reasonable to hope for housing under $500 close to the school...

If anyone has any advice or knows of someone still looking, I'd love to hear from you.

I'm 23, female, from Texas, and have a cat (who is stikingly well-behaved).

Thanks!

Hey everyone!
Very excited to be joining you all in August (We are going to be doctors you guys!!). Anywho, I am a Houston resident (who refuses to live with her parents) so I've been apartment hunting. I joined the FB group and it doesnt look like there are alot of people on there. There are so many apartments to choose from so it is quite overwhelming. Im interested in a 2 bed/2 bath apt with a roommate if anyone is looking as well.
Aside: I've been reading the posts from earlier about the computers and I just bought mine last year(Toshiba, not a MAC) and would really hope I don't have to get a new one. Do most students end up having to rent or buy new computers?

It saddens me that it's almost halfway through January yet there isn't a thread for the class of 2014 for this MOST AWESOME med school! :(

Welcome to all those who are coming here! :thumbup:

If you've got questions, we've got answers. Ask away!!
Is it malignant?