UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw some interest in what the schedule looks like, so here is the link to the schedules for this year. They recently updated the schedule to an online version, but on the right is the old pdf version of the schedules if it is easier to look at.

Schedules

I don't know much about SIGHT, but here is a list of the organizations at UT and some contact information.

Organizations

Members don't see this ad.

I saw some interest in what the schedule looks like, so here is the link to the schedules for this year. They recently updated the schedule to an online version, but on the right is the old pdf version of the schedules if it is easier to look at.

Schedules

I don't know much about SIGHT, but here is a list of the organizations at UT and some contact information.

Organizations
thanks. so classes start relatively late (Aug 18)?

Sounds about right- ~$12,000 for tuition/fees and ~$25,000 for living expenses. Pretty standard.

You will be able to pay off <$150,000 in loans as a physician! Stop losing sleep over this! (I say this since you posted at 3:30am..)

:rolleyes:

25k/yr for living in Houston? How does that break down? Cost will probably be the deciding factor for me. But then again I'm probably worrying too much since my family and I have never really had much.

Members don't see this ad :)
25k/yr for living in Houston? How does that break down? Cost will probably be the deciding factor for me. But then again I'm probably worrying too much since my family and I have never really had much.
Oh it just seemed like a reasonable estimate. I personally didn't spend as much as my MD/PhD stipend during the 1st 3 years ($20,800/yr), but I could see expenses being a bit higher if someone is paying for a car or something.

But if you have roommates/live on the other side of Reliant/no car/cook, you could get by with far less than $20,000.

is there a link to buy those shirts online? I want one bad :)
I checked the link to the bookstore but I couldn't find any shirts online. I guess that means you'll just have to wait until you come! :(

I think the financial aid office typically gives out ~$33k/year max in federal loans and grants and you can definitely survive and pay tuition with that money. You just need to learn the art of budgeting.

I also don't know too much about SIGHT and specific global health programs but I do know that there are many opportunities to do small health projects in foreign countries. There's a program where you go to places in Mexico or South America during spring break. There are also similar programs during your summer vacation. You also have the opportunity to do 4th year electives in foreign countries.

Thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and contact the SIGHT leader.

anyone planning on getting a roommate? I can't decide if I want one or not. Maybe it would be too awkward when my wife comes to visit

I changed my mind already and will be looking for a 1-bedroom place. Am I pretty much going to have to pay $1k/mo?

So since I live in TN, am I basically screwed as far as getting on this list? I can't be there in person to drop off my application.

Is crime reasonable in that area, or should I go ahead and expect my car to get broken into?

I don't know if I push this enough, but people should get condos!!! (rent or buy!) The price is SO much more reasonable! My 1br (which I own) rents out for 725-775 usually. And my friend is in the condo complex across the street that is 2bed 1 bath for 775. We're walking distance from the shuttle too!

If I could really recommend anything, if you can't do UT housing for whatever reason, check out the condos that are right next door. har.com residential leases. PM me if you want more specifics! (I swear I don't work for them! I just love owning my place for less than people are paying for rent at lanesborough)

Army,

The name of the condo complex is Cambridge Court. Lots of Medical Students are staying there. There is another condo complex across the street. Some of my daughter's Medical School friends stay there. I do not know the name of them though. Both complexes are just down the street from the UT-H housing so they are close to the shuttle bus stop. My daughter suggests looking on the Web for Cambridge Court.

Good Luck

Hi Doctor Mom!!! :D

To add on, the most legit condos are cambridge court, cambridge glen, one montreal place, and montreal place. The first three area all right close together. There are other complexes, but may be a bit shadier.

Do your research before making a commitment to buy anything. It will take at least 5 years for purchasing to save versus renting, assuming you can even qualify for a decent mortgage loan (which is no guarantee these days).

Do your research before making a commitment to buy anything. It will take at least 5 years for purchasing to save versus renting, assuming you can even qualify for a decent mortgage loan (which is no guarantee these days).

Oh I def don't think anyone should jump into buying. If you find the right place to rent a condo though you can save over some of the crazy expensive places here in Houston.

Hi Doctor Mom!!! :D

To add on, the most legit condos are cambridge court, cambridge glen, one montreal place, and montreal place. The first three area all right close together. There are other complexes, but may be a bit shadier.

Hi Sarah..... Congratulations on your wedding. I have seen some of the pictures. You looked beautiful. I am so happy for you.

Take Care,
DoctorMom22

weddingchat ITT

also I hope you know her IRL or this thread just got a lot creepier ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone

For those who commute to the TMC or are planning to, what are you going to do about parking? Do you pay $10 every day? That's a little too much spending. Are there monthly plans or anything else? Does being a UTH student give you any special montly parking deals? How does the Metro rail figure in?

It's really important because we are not sure if we should sign a 6month or one year lease at our current residence.

Thanks

Hey everyone

For those who commute to the TMC or are planning to, what are you going to do about parking? Do you pay $10 every day? That's a little too much spending. Are there monthly plans or anything else? Does being a UTH student give you any special montly parking deals? How does the Metro rail figure in?

It's really important because we are not sure if we should sign a 6month or one year lease at our current residence.

Thanks
I posted some of this in the Republic of TX thread, but it's worth repeating:

There are a lot of parking garages/lots in the medical center, but the monthly rates are quite expensive. I believe the cheapest ones are $60/month. Some students that commute in my class find random places to park like near some apartments such as Lanesborough, and then they ride the rail from there. I've also heard of some people parking near the zoo, but I don't exactly know where. I also know of some students that park in large parking lots such as the ones in front of grocery stores, and then take one of the Metro buses to school.

I don't drive to school, but as far as I know, there aren't any special monthly deals for UTH students. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You do get discounts for the Metro rail and buses. The normal one-way fair is $1.25 but as a student, you pay $0.60.

There's the student shuttle, which is free to ride (well, it's part of our tuition...) but you have to live along the route. Or, you could be sneaky, find a random parking space nearby, and then hop onto the shuttle.

The bottom line is that you really, really don't want to pay for parking unless you absolutely have no other choice. That money is best saved for other things, like a good drink. :thumbup:

anybody fill out their fafsa yet?

I posted some of this in the Republic of TX thread, but it's worth repeating:

There are a lot of parking garages/lots in the medical center, but the monthly rates are quite expensive. I believe the cheapest ones are $60/month. Some students that commute in my class find random places to park like near some apartments such as Lanesborough, and then they ride the rail from there. I've also heard of some people parking near the zoo, but I don't exactly know where. I also know of some students that park in large parking lots such as the ones in front of grocery stores, and then take one of the Metro buses to school.

I don't drive to school, but as far as I know, there aren't any special monthly deals for UTH students. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You do get discounts for the Metro rail and buses. The normal one-way fair is $1.25 but as a student, you pay $0.60.

There's the student shuttle, which is free to ride (well, it's part of our tuition...) but you have to live along the route. Or, you could be sneaky, find a random parking space nearby, and then hop onto the shuttle.

The bottom line is that you really, really don't want to pay for parking unless you absolutely have no other choice. That money is best saved for other things, like a good drink. :thumbup:

or shoes and the like :D

Thank you FrankShui. All that info was really helpful.

anybody fill out their fafsa yet?

I usually don't finish mine until April-ish, iirc. All things considered the turnaround is pretty quick, and no funds come until August anyway.

i was wondering if there is competition between uth and baylor students for the different resources provided at the tmc or that general area. like if a uth student wants to pursue something and then a baylor student comes along with that same interest does the uth student get shafted?

i was wondering if there is competition between uth and baylor students for the different resources provided at the tmc or that general area. like if a uth student wants to pursue something and then a baylor student comes along with that same interest does the uth student get shafted?

Haha, god no. In most cases we stick to our own turf; UT has its own faculty and teaching positions at Memorial Hermann, LBJ, and MDACC among others. I don't know what Baylor has since they cut ties with Methodist. But if you're talking about research, then there's really no competition for spots. Other things like special lecture courses let in whoever wants to come. In fact, a lecture series sponsored by BCM has been dominated by UTH students in something like a 2:1 ratio.

DocPsychosis hit the nail right on the head with this one. They have their places and we have our places. I think the Baylor kids do their rotations at Ben Taub, St. Luke's, Texas Children's, and the Baylor Clinic. You might intermingle if one of them does an away rotation at UTH or vice versa but that's about it.

So we don't get to do rotation at St. Lukes? I thought we would because it was part of our tour. Which rotations are at MD anderson?

So we don't get to do rotation at St. Lukes? I thought we would because it was part of our tour. Which rotations are at MD anderson?
Some people did neuro at St.Luke's, and I hear it's great. You can do psych, neuro and surgery at MD Anderson.

Did you send your waitlist application yet? If so they won't notify you until a month before the move in date you specified. http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index2.htm look under wait list procedures
whoa, so I should probably also be looking at renting other places?

that's kinda late to be finding out if you have a place to move..

I did get my application in.

whoa, so I should probably also be looking at renting other places?

that's kinda late to be finding out if you have a place to move..

I did get my application in.

Ya I was thinking about that too. Because of that late notification I put a really early move-in date even though I won't need it for a couple of months but I'm not sure how that effects placement. I think you can call UTH housing and see where you are on the waitlist and they maybe can estimate your chances but don't take my word on that.

I'm going to be back in Houston in March and probably look at greenbrier and Lanesborough apartments as backups if I can't get student housing.

I don't know if this has been answered before but does anyone know if we have to include parents info on the fafsa. Is there any advantage to leaving it off if my parents income is decent.

Did you send your waitlist application yet? If so they won't notify you until a month before the move in date you specified. http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index2.htm look under wait list procedures

apparently the month you put is also part of your waitlist order. Like someone who wants in in May who turned theirs in #4 will get an opening before someone who said august but turned in #1. Just a hint in case you haven't turned it in. I put July and then didn't get called until almost august (because that is the opening). But of course by then i had bought my place. oh wellsss!!!

Just a disclaimer, i suppose they could have changed this because I'm so old now :)

Also, they just recently decided that they were going to put UT Houston students above everyone else (before you could go to baylor and still be on it as long as you had a UTH acceptance at the time you applied).

I don't know if this has been answered before but does anyone know if we have to include parents info on the fafsa. Is there any advantage to leaving it off if my parents income is decent.
It only hurts you for institutional scholarships, not from the government, I believe.

apparently the month you put is also part of your waitlist order. Like someone who wants in in May who turned theirs in #4 will get an opening before someone who said august but turned in #1. Just a hint in case you haven't turned it in. I put July and then didn't get called until almost august (because that is the opening). But of course by then i had bought my place. oh wellsss!!!

Just a disclaimer, i suppose they could have changed this because I'm so old now :)

Also, they just recently decided that they were going to put UT Houston students above everyone else (before you could go to baylor and still be on it as long as you had a UTH acceptance at the time you applied).
well that sucks. I told them I wanted an apartment in August.

I have heard of very little to no scholarship money available to students in this state, especially at this school. The aid you will be getting is government-supervised Stafford loans, up to ~$33k annually, of which the first ~$8k is subsidized, meaning interest-free until you graduate. Though honestly basically every student in the state has a sort of guaranteed scholarship via ultra-cheap tuition paid for by property taxes and such.

Re: parking at the TMC: they earn around $8 million a year in parking fees - everybody pays for parking, including the President of the TMC. :)

According to our dean - who I'm pretty sure wasn't joking - our school makes more money from parking than any other service. We're not a med school, we're a transit authority. :smuggrin:

I just matched, so now it's time to find a place to live! Does anyone have recommendations for good condo's to rent ~$1k/mo? Preferably very close to med center or with easily accessible public transpo/shuttle. PM me please. Thanks!

I just matched, so now it's time to find a place to live! Does anyone have recommendations for good condo's to rent ~$1k/mo? Preferably very close to med center or with easily accessible public transpo/shuttle. PM me please. Thanks!
There are some good recommendations here and in the Baylor '13 thread.

Glad to see some classmates on here.

There are some good recommendations here and in the Baylor '13 thread.
I feel like I'm going to get shot in Houston :(

Haha I just read the Baylor thread, and your worries about crime in Houston are spot on. I think I'll end up spending more $$ than I originally planned on a place so I can get an attached garage or a "secure compound" style apartment/condo.

We need to liven this thread up with some more classmates! I'm so pumped!

What are you guys doing before August?? At first I thought I might do some research, but now I think I wanna have some fun! I think I might go be a summer camp counselor. I've always wanted to do that. Or maybe I'll go live in Hawaii for a few months and work on a chartered fishing boat.

What are you guys doing before August?? At first I thought I might do some research, but now I think I wanna have some fun! I think I might go be a summer camp counselor. I've always wanted to do that. Or maybe I'll go live in Hawaii for a few months and work on a chartered fishing boat.
OMG go have fun! Seriously! You can do research in the next summer..or just not do any. I wish I had done something fun that summer...

I'm going to keep working, try to spend as much time with my wife as possible, do a little bit of traveling. I'd really like to pick up an odd job (there's a local brewery I'd like to work at, maybe learn how to make some beer) but I doubt I will.

I'm pretty much finishing up my masters till the end of june. Then making a trip up to alaska to visit my cousin with my brother to do some fishing and then heading to Colombia to visit some other relatives. Wish I had more then a month and a half before school starts again.:D

I'm going to the south of France (Cannes) and Monaco with a friend there and then heading over to Italy with a cousin in June. In July I turn 21! So Vegas, baby!!! I have a family wedding in Canada the weekend before computer orientation sooo...it's up in the air about whether we're going to that. But other than that, just relaxing and maybe taking some cooking classes...?
I know whose apartment I'm going to when I'm hungry...

You bet! I am actually in a professional culinary arts class right now which I love; I definitely want to try some classes geared to more specific cuisines this summer. I also like, uber hardcore stress-bake...which means lots of cookies, brownies, and cupcakes! :D
Fun!

And I plan on having a lot of alcohol, so if nothing else works out, we can all be fat and alcoholic.

You bet! I am actually in a professional culinary arts class right now which I love; I definitely want to try some classes geared to more specific cuisines this summer. I also like, uber hardcore stress-bake...which means lots of cookies, brownies, and cupcakes! :D

armybound said:
Fun!

And I plan on having a lot of alcohol, so if nothing else works out, we can all be fat and alcoholic.

So, anyone looking for a third-year buddy to hang around next year? Cause I'll be, y'know, accepting applications...

In our packet they mention two housing areas, anyone know anything about them?

7900 Cambridge

1885 El Paseo

?