About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UT-Houston vs. UT-Southwestern

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Crypt Abscess, Mar 31, 2003.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Crypt Abscess

Crypt Abscess Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am interested in doing a Senior EM rotation this summer at either UTSW or UT-Houston. Where would I get a better experience? Where would I get better letters (ie big names)? What are the pros and cons of the two programs? Thanks, Crypt
  2. vulcanrider

vulcanrider Junior Member

Crypt,

I cannot speak for the program in Houston, however I did a month at Southwestern. The month was very good (they are on a block schedule so I did 15 twelve hour shifts). The only limit on what you are allowed to do is how aggressive you are. I was allowed a couple of intubations, a couple of LP?s, numerous central lines, I&D?s and tons of suturing. When you are on the trauma side you can evaluate the high level traumas with the trauma team. Southwestern sees tons of pathology, on one shift I saw a probable MS and a hydrofluoric acid burn.

As for letters ? Paul Pepe is well known in the EM field. (designs protocols for dealing with the president) I didn?t see him very much, but I bet you can get a letter from him with a little bit of persistence.

Hope this helps
  3. Hornet871

Hornet871 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    If you want good recs from big names, go for Parkland (Dallas). UT-Houston got the death penalty a few years back (it's since been revived to provisional accreditation) and has no ultrasound program.

That being said, the residents at UT-Houston are happy. The facility is beautiful, too, and the work-hours are reasonable.

But if you're just doing a month's rotation and want strong recs that could get you in anywhere, you can't go wrong with UTSW.
  4. md8047

md8047 Junior Member

I can't speak for UT-Houston, but I think UT-Southwestern has a decent EM residency and doing a month there as a medical student would be a great experience. Parkland is an amazing hospital. I think a weakness to UTSW for EM is that it is a powerhouse for surgery and medicine, so EM tends to get squeezed out sometimes. For example, the surgeons run trauma hall and manage all major traumas. The EM residents will rotate a month, under the surgeons, on trauma but in the end, it is the surgeons in charge. I think this is a disadvantage to the EM residents, but it shouldn't affect a medical student doing a rotation there.