UT Houston vs. UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTSW or UTH?

• UTSW

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • UTH

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

prkchopps

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I found out on the same day in November that I got into both UTSW and UTH and boy was I happy! But since that date I've been going back in forth and can't make a decision between the two. The deadline is Jan 15th so I decided I would get some help.

Here are my thoughts...

UTH was my first interview and I loved it. What I liked the most was TMC. But I thought the students were extremely friendly and I fell in love with Dr. Kellaway! Also the facilities were really nice and I just felt comfortable there.

UTSW was my first choice school going into the application process. My family is in Dallas and I had experiences with UTSW growing up. I interviewed the day after my Houston interview on Saturday. I missed the Friday session. I didn't really like UTSW when I was there. Some of the students seemed a bit off. I actually think it was just one girl who was my tour guide who ruined it for me. She was so annoying. Also, they talked about not being competitive way too much. This was a HUGE turn off for me and Im kind of worried about it. However, I miss my family and want to be back home. And UTSW is a "better" (higher ranked) school than UTH. So I don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat, almost exactly. I'm leaning more towards UTSW, but I definitely had trouble debating the two. Good luck deciding!

P.S. - Did you do a second look at either school? UTSW was very accommodating, and you should definitely do it since you missed the Friday Program. They set you up to go rounding with MSIIIs so you can get a feel for your clinical experience at Parkland (request Parkland). The second look at UTH is organized by an MSII. I was not able to round at Memorial (boo), but it was a nice refresher.

Thanks, good luck to you too!

I wanted to do a second look but I'm out of leave time from my job. I think it would help a lot though. Oh well...

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW is very highly ranked on US News

and I believe UT-Houston does not come in the US News Rankings

Thus it is a matter of ranked school vs. nonranked school... and thats why I voted for UTSW

but the reality is that all US MD schools are excellent

I say go where you feel the best personality match is. Forget the USN&WR rankings in my opinion. Every Texas school is quality...UT-H is no different. Also, where do you think you'd be happier living...is geographical closeness to your family very important to you? If so, Dallas might be the better choice.

Students at both schools do very, very well on Step 1; this should be important to you. It's a tough choice you have...don't ignore your gut feelings. Good luck!

UTSW.

End of thread...

haha, we stress that we are not competitive because everyone thinks that we are... one of my interviewers at UTMB was badmouthing UTSW because of how competitive it was... thats why...

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me:)

UTSW is very highly ranked on US News

and I believe UT-Houston does not come in the US News Rankings

Thus it is a matter of ranked school vs. nonranked school... and thats why I voted for UTSW

but the reality is that all US MD schools are excellent
UT-H is ranked #53 on US News and UTSW is ranked #20, both very respectable rankings.

As someone who's in the TMC and has also been at UTSW for two summers... my personal vote would be UTSW. If you think you're going to be interested at all in research in med school, you won't find a better program anywhere. Parkland is an amazing place to do your clinicals in its own right. And I promise you, the girl you spoke with was definitely an anomaly. The people I met at UTSW are by and large all pretty normal; yes there are a couple of weirdos, but you'll get a couple of those in any class no matter where you go.

I don't have anything bad at all to say about UT-H. As you pointed out, the TMC is amazing and they have some excellent students and faculty in their own right. But if family and proximity to home is important to you, do not be afraid of the perceived gunnerishness of UTSW at all. And by all means, go to whatever second looks are available if you can between now and whenever you have to lock in your decision (it was 1/15 for me so I don't know how much time you have left, but try if you have a chance).

I agree with what Spurs said...I feel that they are both amazing clinically (Parkland and Hermann) and have similar board scores (UTSW may be just a bit higher if I remember correctly?). However, the main difference between the two is research. If you want to do research it's got to be UTSW (how many nobel laureates did they have?). This is probably the reason I personally am choosing UTSW over UTH.

Then again, if theres familial ties in either of these places then that's a whole different situation...

UT-H is ranked #53 on US News and UTSW is ranked #20, both very respectable rankings.

yes you are right... i just checked and UT houston is on the list

I did not realize that it was such a highly regarded school.. wow

anyways I would still chose UTSW because of the more-so national recognition it has as compared to UT Houston.. but congrats on getting into these two great schools

UTSW.

End of thread...

haha, we stress that we are not competitive because everyone thinks that we are... one of my interviewers at UTMB was badmouthing UTSW because of how competitive it was... thats why...

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me:)

Yea alot of ppl at some other TX schools were badmouthing UTSW. Seems like its kind of changed in the past few years. Current 4th years say it was bad for them but changes have been implemented to make it much better for students.

Status
Not open for further replies.