UT Memphis Class of 2015

JMan87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna start this new thread for y'all interested in applying to UT for entering in 2011. If you have questions, have advice, etc. this is the place. I didn't find another UT class of 2015 thread, but if there is lemme know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi JMan87,

Do you know when UT @ Memphis will start the interviewing process?

Hi JMan87,

Do you know when UT @ Memphis will start the interviewing process?

When I emailed Dr. Coleman a few months ago, he said interviews begin in August, so it would be to my advantage to take the DAT before August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw on another thread that Dr. Coleman passed away last week, so I don't know how this effects the interview process for this year. UT's web site lists an interim associate dean for admissions.

What is the required minimum DAT score to get an interview with UT@Memphis?

When I emailed Dr. Coleman a few months ago, he said interviews begin in August, so it would be to my advantage to take the DAT before August.

yes, that's correct. interviews start the end of this month (August)

OMG! That s terrible. I had no idea he had passed away!

Have any of you heard from UT? I called to check on my App and they said everything was up to date, but nothing about when they will start interviewing.

how long was your response to the why this program and why did you apply now......

Hey yall! I had an interview at UT late last year, and I was an alternate for this years D1 class up until this past week. At my interview last year, I was told that once you have interviewed at UT, that if you don't get in that year, that you don't have to be re-interviewed. Does anyone know if that is still the case for this year? I didn't know if that might have changed.

Got my interview packet in the mail from UT today! It's official. Now to plan a trip to Memphis. Luckily, I'm not too far. Who else has been invited to interview at UT?

Did you get a supplemental packet in the mail between your application and interview packet? I applied in July and just a supplemental packet with recommendations and proposed plan of study and such. Just wondering when I am going to get my interview.... thanks

Did you get a supplemental packet in the mail between your application and interview packet? I applied in July and just a supplemental packet with recommendations and proposed plan of study and such. Just wondering when I am going to get my interview.... thanks

Interviews are not guaranteed unless officially invited by the school. But, I received an official letter from the school inviting me to interview in September. Then, I emailed admissions confirming that I will be attending the interview. Once I confirmed, the school mailed me the official interview packet with hotel info and directions to school.

does anyone know about how long it takes to get an interview notification after you get the email saying that your application is complete? I'm an arkansas resident an I just got an email today saying that my app was complete and am anxious to know how long it might be till I hear about an interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know about how long it takes to get an interview notification after you get the email saying that your application is complete? I'm an arkansas resident an I just got an email today saying that my app was complete and am anxious to know how long it might be till I hear about an interview...

Well, I got that email in July(applied early June) and still no word. I am no longer a TN resident, but was born, raised and even attended UT so I figured I would get some acknowledgment... Incredibly frustrating considering I have above average stats. Wish I would have just saved my $100 and time to fill out their separate application because it's pretty clear they aren't even going to look at it.

i believe they are really behind this year. my buddy with a 4.0 and 22 dat hasnt been contacted yet either. in state.

Have you all met Dr. Covington yet? Awesome guy, super helpful and friendly.

I wish there were some more applicants represented on here. Do you know of any other threads relavent to us?

krsmith, did you go see him in person in office? Did yall just talk about your application?

I'm a reapp and wanted to go meet him and talk about my application before this first admission committee meeting. Just wondering what he told you!

krsmith, did you go see him in person in office? Did yall just talk about your application?

I'm a reapp and wanted to go meet him and talk about my application before this first admission committee meeting. Just wondering what he told you!

When's the first committee meeting?

my friend just got her interview so they had their first meeting id assume. yes not alot of UT hopefuls here.

I go to TN Tech in Cookeville, he came and visited our campus for a recruitment type of deal. I got to talk with him a little bit about some more in-depth things, but it was mainly for freshmen/sophomores interested in pursuing dental school. He just talked a lot about the DAT, GPA, and how things are becoming much more competitive.... Also about life at UT, paying for school, such and such...

He didn't say anything about the committee meetings, so I am not sure about those. He did say to pretty much be patient because they were estimating somewhere between 600 and 800 applicants this year. Apparently last year about half of the class was filled with students with 3.5 GPA or higher, if that tells you anything....

wooh! Interview this Friday.... Has anyone else heard anything?

Anything special I should know about that day? What was your actual interview like? I know it is pretty laid back, but did you just pretty much talk about your life and who you were or were there specific questions?

Hellllo out there? After reading through the thread for the Class of 2014, I am still really surprised that this thing is so dead. Kind of depressing.

Yeah, i know, wish I had news, but alls I've heard is app complete as of OCT 19... Really depressing! I wish FreeFallin would give us an interview walk through, that would liven up the thread a bit:)

Well, my interview will actually be on the 19th. I thought it was going to be last Friday, but it turns out that it wasn't. I will be sure to let you know all of the details. Also, if you go to "interview feedback" at the top of the page there is a lot of useful information about past experiences that people have had.

the interview was very laid back. questions included "why dentistry, why UT".

dont stress yo.

Hi guys, sorry been out of town this past week and couldn't check the thread. Everyone at the interview was super nice, and the director of admissions is very helpful and willing to answer any and all questions. You go into the admissions office, sit down, and talk to the director and two other faculty members. Yes, why dentistry and why UT, but also what you like to do outside of dentistry. So, don't go in stressing about it. Just be honest and be yourself. Breakfast and lunch were yummy at the interview too! Good luck.

Thanks! I am really not too worried about it or anything, it's nice to hear that you had a good experience. I'm really really looking forward to Dec. 1....

the interview was very laid back. questions included "why dentistry, why UT".

dont stress yo.

Lethstang - Looks like you have a nice resume going for ya! Being a TN resident, would you choose UT over all those other schools you've interviewed at?

Lethstang - Looks like you have a nice resume going for ya! Being a TN resident, would you choose UT over all those other schools you've interviewed at?

i dont know yet. UT has the advantages of being a world class dental school, along with the cheapest tuition and cost of living known to mankind. Ive personally shadowed and drank beers with two of the professors, and I wouldnt be exaggerating if i said I wouldnt mind turning out like either of them.

However, memphis is the worst place ive ever lived, and ive hopped around my entire adult life.

So I really dont know. good question. i will have to see how my other interviews go. theres one thing ive learned from this interview process is that each school has a unique feel, i cant really judge them until i spend a day there.

That's the general consensus I get about Memphis, too. I am looking forward to living in West TN, though. I am from Knoxville and have rarely had the opportunity to go out there.

UT has the advantages of being a world class dental school

However, memphis is the worst place ive ever lived, and ive hopped around my entire adult life.
Never heard UTHSC described as world class... I have heard old and out-dated, but world class is new. I'm just messing around, because it is a good school, but world class is just an interesting description. And what was so bad about Memphis? It has great culture, great party scene, great places to live, cheap real-estate and good schools for kids. It's hot as hell, lots of pan-handling, and has some pretty rough patches, but overall it's a cool city. And it's pretty small so driving is easy. Plus, if you are a student, just live on Mudd Island. Beautiful, safe, fun, own grocery store, river and park.

theyre all world class baby, as they all bestow the license of badassery. futuredent if you are having a good time in memphis more power to you. there are a few people that do in fact love it here :) I hope i havent predisposed anyones opinion towards memphis, give it a shot if you are interested in UT.

Last edited:
Well the university DID just renovate the dental clinic... not bad for outdated!

And you know, my cousin lived on Mudd Island.... and in a gated community for that matter. They had their car stolen right out of the parking lot. Hahaha... It's going to be fun for sure!

Hey bud, you seem in good shape as far as your stats go so I would not worry about that. The thing is, and what I didn't know either, is that the admissions guys do not even see your app until EVERYTHING is complete. Meaning that once you have all of your materials in, the thing is sent across campus to be reviewed.

Mine was submitted on Sept. 2, considered complete on Oct. 15, and I have an interview on Nov. 19. My stats are cGPA 3.73 and sGPA of 3.5. My DAT was 18/18/23... If I were you, I would give Lyniel Smith a call today to make sure that they have everything of yours pal and that your app will be getting reviewed.

Mine was submitted on Sept. 2, considered complete on Oct. 15, and I have an interview on Nov. 19

My app was considered complete on Oct. 19, but I still havent had any word.:( Do you think they may have already passed on me? I'm an AR resident, and while I don't have amazing stats I thought they were solid at least cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.7, and DAT 20/21/20.

They will be interviewing into the next year, so not to worry. To be honest, I sort of bugged them about it. I called in, made sure they had everything they needed and asked if I had been considered for a possible interview. They let me know that my app would be looked at... so, I don't know if me calling in helped or not, but it may have. Just letting you know what I did.

UT Hopeful here, but as I do more research, I feel less hopefull...

I'm a "non-traditional" student that has had to work full time while returning to school full time to complete prereq's for dental schools. Although people say working full time is no excuse, how can it not be considered though? I KNOW if I didn't work full time that I would have a better GPA and of course sGPA.

I will not have my degree completed until May 2012, but have applied to UT hoping they will take me and I will save a years worth of tuition.

I think I completed my application on 10/27, received notification of a few deficiencies on 11/3, all of which have been satisfied as of today.

Non-Trad, PAT of 22, and a Memphis resident thats about all I have going for me. GPA, sGPA and other DAT scores are in the toilet.

Good luck to everyone. If I do not get in, I will re-apply next year.

Alright everyone, I just arrived back in Cookeville and for those of you who are still with me, here's the D-L...

I had an interview today at UT, and for those of you who have never seen the campus, you will surely not be disappointed. It's a great place. I have only been to Memphis twice, so I cannot speak much about the city, but the campus (or what I have seen of it) is definitely awesome. They are currently renovating the dental building, so by the time the class of 2015 has entered, it will be looking super nice.

As far as the actual interview goes, mine was roughly 10-15 minutes. To be honest, I lost track of time during it. It moved quickly... There aren't any surprises. Be prepared to answer why you want to be a dentist ,of course. If you have any specific interests in the field, also be able to speak about those... Also think back to your personal statement and be ready to answer questions about that. I was asked about a dental office here in Cookeville that I spent some time at.

Overall, I was happy with it. Looking back, you can really take the conversation where you want to go with it. For example, I am a Spanish major and wished I would have emphasized my fluency more instead of being so modest about it. There were some things, thinking back, I would have liked to bring up, but being in the heat of the moment it's easy to breeze through. I have shadowed on several occasions, but unfortunately I only really talked about one. Dr. Covington assured us not to second guess ourselves afterwards because if interviewed, you are definitely being considered for admission and they just want to get to know you.

Oh, and the student body is AMAZING. Students love the faculty and the faculty really embrace their students. We talked with quite a few and everyone agrees that your class will be like your family. That is one thing I am looking forward to especially.

Anyway, if you made it this far, that was just a few short things I noted during my interview today while it's fresh on my mind. I hope it helps anyone, and like I said, don't worry about it...

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you had any issues with the 5 year outdated course rule? I am a non-trad applying of Class of 2016, but a few of my pre-requisite courses were taken in 2005-2006. I have tried contacting the school and haven't gotten word back. ( I know that you all are getting interviewed and wish you luck with that.) Anyways, if anyone had a similar situation I'd appreciate any information you could give! Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you had any issues with the 5 year outdated course rule? I am a non-trad applying of Class of 2016, but a few of my pre-requisite courses were taken in 2005-2006. I have tried contacting the school and haven't gotten word back. ( I know that you all are getting interviewed and wish you luck with that.) Anyways, if anyone had a similar situation I'd appreciate any information you could give! Thanks!

I had this EXACT question. I contacted Dr. Coleman about this very issue because I graduated undergrad in 2005. He said as long as my prereqs aren't like 15 years old, then I would be ok. Plus, this was not brought up at all during my interview. So, from my personal experience, it seems the "5 year rule" is not set in stone. This is great for us nontraditional students. Good luck! :luck:

Less than one week until December 1. Who's excited?

I'm surprised I haven't run across this thread until now. I've searched SDN for UT dent school and never saw this one until today.

I can't believe Dec. 1 is less than a week away! Does anyone know how many people they generally send acceptance letters to on the first? I saw where a thread from 2008 or older said they tell 20-30 people.... that's scary! Let's all cross our fingers and hope for the best :)

Also, any possibility of emails or just snail mail?
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
GO VOLS