UT Memphis Class of 2016

krsmith44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am going to start this thread for anyone who is interested in discussing the UT application/interview process for the Class of 2016 cycle. If you have any questions, I was accepted to last year's class and would be happy to help in any way I can. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not for sure exactly what you mean by "out of state friendly", however I do know that the university has a contract with Arkansas to allow approximately 24 students (not for sure if that is the exact number) to attend at "in-state tuition" costs. Also, there are students in my class from Florida, Kansas, Georgia, etc. So, the university definitely accepts out of state students, but as is the case with other schools, I would believe the out of state students have to have especially "stellar resumes".

As for the Deadline, I found on the website that November 30, 2011, is the absolute last date that one can submit their application. However, the earlier you can get your application submitted, the better off you will be. Therefore, I suggest that you submit it now, assuming you have everything complete.

As for evidence based/case based, I am not well versed in that area, therefore I could not give you a factual answer. However, I do believe that at any school, you will have a mixture of both evidence based/case based. It seems it would be difficult to strictly say that you are 100% one way or the other. That's just my $0.02.

Our current class size is 86. The university informed us that they will not have the ability to accept over 90 students until they can renovate some of the labs to accommodate all of the students. We have a very diverse group of students in our class spanning many different cultural groups. I would say that our class is approximately 60:40 for males and females, respectively.

The university has always placed a large emphasis on research and recognizes it as an "integral part of the academic experience." If you enjoy research, then you will be happy to hear about the Hinman Student Research Symposium. This is a national meeting at which schools from all of the country come to present their research. This is a great tool to not only get involved in research efforts, but also to meet students from other dental schools and do some networking.

What I like most about UTHSC College of Dentistry is that everyone is so helpful and it is their true desire to see you succeed. All of the professors, students, and other staff members are so eager to help you learn and make the transition to dental school as smooth as possible. Everyone is approachable and insist that you ask for help anytime you have a problem, no matter what it may be.

Not for sure what I like "least" about the program, however I will give you an update soon. :)

I hope this information helped to answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything that may seem unclear. Also, don't hesitate to ask more questions. The more you know now, the better your decision will be when it comes to choosing between schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged. I honestly believe that our school takes into account the individual as a whole, not just the statistical aspect of one's application. The AADSAS application is expensive but the price of adding on a school is negligible compared to the overall cost. Again, if you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Yup, the first interview is happening this Friday.

Do they interview Arkansas residents the same time as Tennessee residents? If you can remember, when was your interview date last year and when did you e-submit?

Yes, the interview sessions are integrated with students from various states. In my group of 8, there were 2 students from Arkansas. I e-submitted on June 2, 2010 and I was notified of my interview during the first week of August. My interview date was Friday, September 3, 2010

How did they notify you for an interview? Mail or e-mail?

How did they notify you for an interview? Mail or e-mail?

got mine in email. (AR resident)
But I've been interviewed before so even though I got an invitation I won't get an interview.

I received my invitation via a phone call, because the mailing address the institution had on file was incorrect. However, I received that invitation in the mail once we got the address changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are yall talking about interview dates and interview y'all had in the past or for the current application cycle? I've heard that UTHSC hasnt started interviews yet...which makes no sense.

could you please post the questions they asked you on the interview?

TigerTeeth,
Interviews have absolutely started. They have been going on for a few weeks now.

Member911,
Be prepared to briefly answer two questions in your interview: why dentistry and why UT. I was asked these two questions and was given a few minutes to discuss them. It is the most laid back thing that I have ever done. If you have something specific in your personal statement, just have something brief to say concerning that. For example, I wrote about how I was interested in pediatrics. I was asked why pedo sparked by interest. Other students told me they talked about everything from hunting, to research, to football. It's more like a conversation than an interview.

Here is what I heard from them:

Tennessee (Memphis) dental school is looking to accept out of state applicants with DAT scores no lower than 19 on any section of the DAT and a GPA of nothing lower than 3.6.

This is their first year to AADSAS and they are looking at a huge increase in applicants which has increased the competitiveness of the 10 slots available for out of state students. :eek:

What questions did you ask your interviewer? What do you like about UT?

I asked the interviewers how the implementation of the new testing system had affected the average board scores of their students. That question is not as relevant now, considering the boards are now P/F. I also asked them what the school was doing to give back to their community and how they were involving their students. These were two questions that were important to me, but may not have been as important to others. Be sure to ask them questions that are unique to you as individual, so that you get as much information about the school as possible.

The faculty are extremely polite and approachable, although there are always a few exceptions. Everyone wants you to graduate and be a successful, competent dentist. If you don't graduate, you lose, the school loses, and the community where you want to practice loses. Therefore, the school will do everything it can to ensure that you get what you need to pass the courses and the boards. That's what I like about UT!:cool:

So I never post, but I just checked my e-mail to find an interview invite from UT! Yay! I'm a TN resident so this is definitely my number one school. I'm SO excited! Anyone else get an invite via email tonight? Let's celebrate together :p

So I never post, but I just checked my e-mail to find an interview invite from UT! Yay! I'm a TN resident so this is definitely my number one school. I'm SO excited! Anyone else get an invite via email tonight? Let's celebrate together :p

I got mine today too. I'm out OOS from Florida. I am very excited!

I got my invite for an interview yesterday! I'm from Arkansas and UT is my number 1 choice. Congrats ddshopeful2012 & fgari and good luck!

Hi everyone,

I recently received an invitation to interview at UTHSC- Memphis. Can anyone who has previously gone through the interview process tell me the following:

1. Do they interview students individually, or several students together in a room
2. How many questions, and what exactly will they ask?

Any other tips??

Thanks kindly :)

Hi everyone,

I recently received an invitation to interview at UTHSC- Memphis. Can anyone who has previously gone through the interview process tell me the following:

1. Do they interview students individually, or several students together in a room

Any other tips??

Hi everyone,

Any other tips??

Hey I interviewed last year. I was wait-listed. I am being re-evaluated again this year (don't have to reinterview!).

To answer your questions... Yes, they do interview you individually. That part last maybe 10-15 minutes (from what I remember). Very chill questions. 3 admissions members plus me in the room. Nothing really about GPA, DAT, school, etc. They just want to get to know you. They asked me about music, hiking, growing up, why I want to do dentistry, etc. Stuff from my PS. It could have been just who I interviewed with, but thats how mine went. Lots of dialog. More of a conversation than an interview...